Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

At his Watford press conference (ahead of facing Preston at the weekend) Rob Edwards talking about Newcastle’s interest in signing Joao Pedro and their opening bid – Thursday 18 August 2022:

“There has a been a bid in for Joao Pedro that has been talked about.

“It was not anywhere near the level that we would expect it to be for him…

“…but I’m involved in that conversation and if anything else (a higher bid from Newcastle United or any other club) was to come in again, we will sit down and talk about it as a club and as a board.”

Seems Like they're willing to sell at the right price. Certainly it's not a definite no we can't sell him, because we've sold Dennis and will probably sell Sarr. 

Edited by Polarboy

Also seen a journo saying that Paqueta's price hasn't been reduced to 33m, and it's still at least 50m to even get them to open negotiations. It makes sense, because as he says why wouldn't someone have placed an official bid if he was 33m, which would present a bit of bargain in the current market. 

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

So basically what CN is saying, is, our business is done.

I've read that couple of times and still not seeing how you've drawn that conclusion. 'Nothing close' when there are 2 weeks left of the transfer window doesn't correspond to 'our business is done.'

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

I've read that couple of times and still not seeing how you've drawn that conclusion. 'Nothing close' when there are 2 weeks left of the transfer window doesn't correspond to 'our business is done.'

Followed shortly by Wykiki saying this Pedro lad is putting his suitcase in the car while booking a table at Munchies II

Well there's far less of a difference in 28 plus add ons, and 30-35m than there is between 45m and 60m for Maddison. So hopefully a compromise can be reached.

Edit. 28 including add ons.

Edited by Polarboy

22 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

FFP not apply to Forest? 

That’s fuckin insane. Truly. Can’t get a game for Wolves = 44 mill. Not sure who the agents are but I think that one’s bent….

EDIT: definitely bent :cuppa:

A9062016-CA3A-4AAD-9BEC-A021C5606A51.jpeg

Edited by PaddockLad

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If he's worth that Bruno is deffo £100m+

I hope not. I really hope not. If Bruno goes to Real Madrid I will go from loving him to hating him.

PS It is the second time in 4-5 months that the same source (and that same journalist) has spoken about Bruno Guimaraes and about Real Madrid following him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

That’s fuckin insane. Truly. Can’t get a game for Wolves = 44 mill. Not sure who the agents are but I think that one’s bent….

We are clearly doing things the right way when you see that.

3 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I think you need to take Spanish lessons. 

I don't have anyone here to talk to in my language ☹️

The closest Gemmill gets to Spanish is scratching his maracas 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I think you need to take Spanish lessons. 

I don't have anyone here to talk to in my language ☹️

It's shocking, isn't it Diego? Nobody talks to me in my language either.

the language of luuuurrrrve

creep GIF

• Haha 3

With certain fans becoming increasingly impatient at our lack of attacking arrivals, does Bayern’s move for Mathys Tel and Nottingham Forest’s outrageous bid for Morgan Gibbs-White show us how difficult it is to get the right one over the line at the right price?

Munich have signed the 17-year-old Stade Rennes striker for an initial fee of £17m that should rise to £25m once add-ons come into play. An astronomical price for a player that has played less than 100 minutes of senior football, did not even start a Ligue 1 match last season and is yet to score or even assist professionally. In addition, some breaking news has just emerged on Morgan Gibbs-White, with a host of outlets confirming that Nottingham Forest have just agreed a deal worth a staggering £44m for the attacking midfielder. He’s a talent, but this sort of money for a man who has one goal and one assist in 48 Premier League appearances is crazy. Oh and don’t even get me started on Anthony Gordon. The fact he could seal a £50m move to Chelsea after Everton knocked back a £45m bid is beyond me. The market has gone mad.

The bids we’ve seen for Gibbs-White and Gordon certainly make you realise why Leicester City rejected our £40m offer for James Maddison – a proven operator who is slightly older, yet far more prolific at this level. The crazy bids and inflated fees must be making things even tougher for a Newcastle United who are already finding it hard to do business at the right price. Back to Tel, who am I to question Bayern’s transfer business – but boy does it make you think! Newcastle are almost certainly in the market for a high-quality young striker who can compete with Callum Wilson and, just as importantly, step-in if our number nine succumbs to his annual injury.

We also saw what happened with Ekitike. His time-wasting agent held out so his client could go to PSG and presumably sit on the bench behind Mbappe, Messi and Neymar. It was reported that we’d only pay £12m up front for the former Reims man, but it seems deals like that have been hard to come by since he ditched us for the Ligue 1 giants last month. Bayern have gambled massively and perhaps can take the hit. Tel may well go out on loan and it may well turn out to be a brilliant investment that reaps long-term gain. We shall see. But what it does say to me is how difficult it must be for Newcastle – who are still dubbed the ‘richest club in the world’ – to work in this market when unproven talents will now cost you £25-£35m.

If a 17-year-old untried youngster can command such a fee then, what sort of fees are being quoted to Mr Ashworth? Particularly when you add on the so-called Newcastle Tax. It seems only reasonable that The Toon want to explore and continue to explore every avenue. I still feel we’ll make a marque signing this summer. Whether it’s a striker or a winger. Which ever one of those it may be, the other may have to be a loan. One thing is for certain, we’re in a market where the seller dictates and the buyer may have to stretch beyond budget. Mathys Tel and Morgan Gibbs-White are probably good barometers as to how difficult this market. Us fans must therefore trust in the backstage boys to get it right in a way that moves our ‘new’ Club forward and not backwards. We must sign new attacking talent if we’re to mount a charge towards Europe anytime soon, but we must not be held to ransom!

Edited by Polarboy

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

FFP not apply to Forest? 

Benny Hill What GIF

Mental. Are Forrest exposing themselves to a financial meltdown if they dont stay up? Or an Everton like situation. 

The only way Southampton could beat us to Ramos is that they are guaranteeing a first 11 spot. We're in a difficult spot in that we don't need to replace Wilson, but we also need a credible replacement when he gets injured. If I was Ramos and starting in the most famous team in my country, and playing Champions League football, I'd want to be sure I wasn't sitting on the bench for a team that's only as yet aspiring to be in Europe. He's still a very young man as well, so there isn't that much pressure on him to move to a more high profile and lucrative league yet. 

7 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

The only way Southampton could beat us to Ramos is that they are guaranteeing a first 11 spot. We're in a difficult spot in that we don't need to replace Wilson, but we also need a credible replacement when he gets injured. If I was Ramos and starting in the most famous team in my country, and playing Champions League football, I'd want to be sure I wasn't sitting on the bench for a team that's only as yet aspiring to be in Europe. He's still a very young man as well, so there isn't that much pressure on him to move to a more high profile and lucrative league yet. 

And theyll probably pay the money they want

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season