Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

We can, just not these pissy pants "What if the world was terrible and everything was awful, would you be happy then?" questions. ;) 

Don't go in the Politics thread then.  Serious skid marks from the hypocrits :lol: 

I think the majority on here would be pretty underwhelmed if we didn't manage to get an attacking playing in during this window. How that equates to people having wet kegs is beyond me.

All the talk before the window opened was how exciting this transfer window is going to be but in reality it hasn't. Has it been better than previous seasons under Ashley? Of course! Is it the window most of us thought we'd be getting? For me, the answer is no.

Obviously we're unaware of what is actually happening behinds the scenes, but what we are seeing is frustrating as fuck. Doesn't mean I'm worried for the start of the season or that I've soiled my undergarments, just means I'm frustrated by what I've been seeing reported on our perceived targets and transfer policy to date.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Agree with this - the detail, not the Wykiki baiting ;)

We got a perfectly reasonable midtable finish last season, we have improved considerably since then, and the plan probably isn't to qualify for Europe this time out. On that basis, it's a consolidation season and we have two senior strikers on the books already in a system that will only use one of them.

We're fine if they can't get anyone else in.

And say we're 10th in January, we see that there's the potential to break into the European spots if we fill the missing piece of the puzzle. Suddenly Maddison has 18 months left on his deal, Leicester are struggling in 15th, we go back in with a £40m bid. Boom, Maddison, Europe and blowjobs from hot Slavic girls in your area. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Don't go in the Politics thread then.  Serious skid marks from the hypocrits :lol: 

The world is terrible wykiki, the trick is just being ok with that.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

And say we're 10th in January, we see that there's the potential to break into the European spots if we fill the missing piece of the puzzle. Suddenly Maddison has 18 months left on his deal, Leicester are struggling in 15th, we go back in with a £40m bid. Boom, Maddison, Europe and blowjobs from hot Slavic girls in your area. 

Put the brush down Picasso and get back to your spreadsheets. :cuppa:

There is literally no bed wetting going on at this stage that I can see. It’s all feels quite reasoned to me at this stage. Some signs of frustration but nothing too panicky yet. Whether that changes if we fail to land more signings by September 1st is another matter.

I believe we will sign at least a CF and a midfielder and/or winger before the window closes. Whether it’s a £50m marquee signing such as Maddison or a less a fancied plan c option such as cornet remains to be seen. Either way it’s still massive improvement  from where we were this time last season!

1 minute ago, MrBass said:

I think the majority on here would be pretty underwhelmed if we didn't manage to get an attacking playing in during this window. How that equates to people having wet kegs is beyond me.

All the talk before the window opened was how exciting this transfer window is going to be but in reality it hasn't. Has it been better than previous seasons under Ashley? Of course! Is it the window most of us thought we'd be getting? For me, the answer is no.

Obviously we're unaware of what is actually happening behinds the scenes, but what we are seeing is frustrating as fuck. Doesn't mean I'm worried for the start of the season or that I've soiled my undergarments, just means I'm frustrated by what I've been seeing reported on our perceived targets and transfer policy to date.

It is frustrating, but the new restrictions, a post-COVID football landscape, the delay in getting DoF and CEO positions filled, our transfer strategy vs our perceived wealth... This was always going to be a difficult window. As they will be for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

There is literally no bed wetting going on at this stage that I can see.

Gloom has not only gone nose-blind, he's now gone fully blind! :lol:

There is 4 fucking weeks of the window to go, IF (and it's a massive if) we're in the same situation we are right now then people may have something to grumble about. Pre-empting that by a month is classic pissy-pants behaviour.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Gloom has not only gone nose-blind, he's now gone fully blind! :lol:

There is 4 fucking weeks of the window to go, IF (and it's a massive if) we're in the same situation we are right now then people may have something to grumble about. Pre-empting that by a month is classic pissy-pants behaviour.

i don’t see anyone grumbling to any great extent on here. I enjoy the debate and measured exchange of views here. Twitter is another matter 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don’t see anyone grumbling to any great extent on here. I enjoy the debate and measured exchange of views here. Twitter is another matter 

There's a fair degree of unnecessary worrying going on. Personally I think we've had a great window so far, and we're only halfway through it. 

I agree that mainstream social media is far worse, but we do have people on here who are starting sentences along the lines of "I'm not bed-wetting but, ..... "

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Can't remember if the same happened with Bruno. 

We didn't get the play by play on that, there was little said before it was effectively confirmed is my recollection.

Once it's in the 'media' brinkmanship comes heavily into play with neither party wanting to seem the weaker in the dealings, especially when they're both in the same league and more or less competing for the same places. Whether or not Maddison wants to go is probably the most crucial factor as they'll possibly see this as their best chance to see him for the maximum profit.

Given I'm now an expert on amortisation his value on the books for Leicester is only 8m so on the balance sheet a sale of 50m is a huge boon. If he stays another year and refuses to re-sign they risk that differential dropping notably with the balance of power swinging further in the players balance. This past season was by far his best as far as numbers go so there's also the possibility that he has a markedly less prolific season and his value declines.

As far as his value for us goes I'm not sure whether he would work that well with Wilson,  possibly better with someone with explosive acceleration who can work with sharp interplay. That said in our side Wilson has scarcely had the chance to work with someone like that and now he has Bruno and potentially Maddison so perhaps I'm not giving Callum the respect he deserves assuming the clumsy crock is not injured.

Just now, Craig said:

There's a fair degree of unnecessary worrying going on. Personally I think we've had a great window so far, and we're only halfway through it. 

I agree that mainstream social media is far worse, but we do have people on here who are starting sentences along the lines of "I'm not bed-wetting but, ..... "

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask if people would be happy if we don’t do any further business before the window shuts.

I’m happy with the business we’ve done so far too but I fully expect to see a couple of forward players come in as we’re a little short for where we want to be without them. It wouldn’t be a disaster but it would take the edge off what could potentially our best transfer window for some time. We’re only a Maddison and Werner away from calling this a chef’s kiss window. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask if people would be happy if we don’t do any further business before the window shuts.

I’m happy with the business we’ve done so far too but I fully expect to see a couple of forward players come in as we’re a little short for where we want to be without them. It wouldn’t be a disaster but it would take the edge off what could potentially our best transfer window for some time. We’re only a Maddison and Werner away from calling this a chef’s kiss window. 

Even if we don't sign another player it already is 'our best transfer window for some time'. This is the root of my frustrations, and it is driven more by the clowns on mainstream social media than on here. Many are coming across as though they have seemingly forgotten just how shit it was before.

Just now, Craig said:

Even if we don't sign another player it already is 'our best transfer window for some time'. This is the root of my frustrations, and it is driven more by the clowns on mainstream social media than on here. Many are coming across as though they have seemingly forgotten just how shit it was before.

I disagree - the January window was better as things stand. Trippier and Bruno were massive statement signings. I’d put Botman potentially in the same bracket as those two. If we sign Maddison and a quality striker on loan with option to buy, similar to the Targett deal, then this window wins.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

there is a benchmark for players of a certain level already set in this window though, right? If you’re Leicester and you have seen Jesus and Richarlison both go for £50-60m you’re going to want a similar fee for Maddison because he’s in that bracket of proven PL forward  

Jesus was £45m, Richarlison £50 potentially rising to 60 with add-ons allegedly. We're already in the ball park. With our Brazilian connections I'd have prefered Jesus, though his wages would be higher. I think that where we're in a good position with Maddison in that he has a proven record in the prem but won't be on exorbitant wages.

9 minutes ago, OTF said:

As far as his value for us goes I'm not sure whether he would work that well with Wilson,  possibly better with someone with explosive acceleration who can work with sharp interplay. That said in our side Wilson has scarcely had the chance to work with someone like that and now he has Bruno and potentially Maddison so perhaps I'm not giving Callum the respect he deserves assuming the clumsy crock is not injured.

Wilson has great movement in the box and isn't a slouch off the last defender's shoulder. You add Anderson, ASM, Bruno, Trippier to that mix and there are plenty of attacking players who would benefit from Maddison's style of play.

Plus Sesko.

1 hour ago, trooper said:

This is Leicester's reply to the improved offer apparently 

Newcastle United have made a second bid for James Maddison but Leicester City have insisted that the attacking midfielder is not for sale once again

We're up to three quarters of a leg and half an arm.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I disagree - the January window was better as things stand. Trippier and Bruno were massive statement signings. I’d put Botman potentially in the same bracket as those two. If we sign Maddison and a quality striker on loan with option to buy, similar to the Targett deal, then this window wins.

Botman and Pope are statement signings. 

We have to be realistic and appreciate that clubs will ask for the moon on a stick from us, and that our new professionally run club won't do that.

Trust the process.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Botman and Pope are statement signings. 

We have to be realistic and appreciate that clubs will ask for the moon on a stick from us, and that our new professionally run club won't do that.

Trust the process.

Not sure I’d put Pope up there with Trippier, Bruno or Maddison. Botman has the potential to be that kind of signing.

Maddison is a different proposition entirely, perhaps even more of a statement than Bruno. He doesn’t have as many international caps to his name but he’s done the business in the PL. He comes with the England international premium, is at peak age - pretty much the top end of players we can expect to attract at this stage.

The only reason we’re in the conversation is because he’s at Leicester rather than a top 6 club. He’d be an unbelievable signing. And we would be weakening a club we hope to be competing directly with this season. I hope we get it done. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Not sure I’d put Pope up there with Trippier, Bruno or Maddison.

You see I would, and whilst I disagree with your view, I recognise it's shared by a fair number. I don't think large sections of our fanbase realise what a bloody good keeper we have signed. Many are uttering the line: "he can't be that good, Burnley were relegated." Well yes they were, but they only conceded 53 goals over the course of the season. Only 9 teams conceded less. And to get him for £10m is an utter steal.

Again though the attitude towards him is worse on mainstream social media. This week I've seen comments stating he's utterly shit at distribution, not fit to lace Dubravka's boots, will definitely be a bench warmer, etc. All this before a competitive ball has even been kicked. 

Make no mistake, Pope was a huge statement signing. I was expecting him to be rocking up at Spurs as Lloris' long-term replacement.

Edited by Craig

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Not sure I’d put Pope up there with Trippier, Bruno or Maddison. Botman has the potential to be that kind of signing.

Maddison is a different proposition entirely, perhaps even more of a statement than Bruno. He doesn’t have as many international caps to his name but he’s done the business in the PL. He comes with the England international premium, is at peak age - pretty much the top end of players we can expect to attract at this stage.

The only reason we’re in the conversation is because he’s at Leicester rather than a top 6 club. He’d be an unbelievable signing. And we would be weakening a club we hope to be competing directly with this season. I hope we get it done. 

Is that just because he's white?!

Maddison would be a great signing. So would Diaby. Or Sesko. 4 weeks left Gloomy. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season