Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Sign Bruno’s mate instead 

That's my view.  Perhaps not Premier League ready but a regular Brazilian international, got connections here which will help him settle, and plays in the same position as Maddison.  I could understand not pursuing him if we weren't after a number 10, which seems to be more Howe's way of playing, but it seems odd if we are after Maddison who plays in that position.

Of course, making life difficult for another team is fine, but it could save a considerable amount of money which could be put to other players.

However, I am sure they know what they are doing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

They'll be  desperate for a proven PL GK and that's gonna cost them.

They'll be after a 'keeper, but I'm not sure if their valuation of Maddison is £60m they'd accept £40m + Dubravka. They could definitely get a good 'keeper for <£20m.

• Like 1

It will make a big difference if Maddison & his agent are agitating for a move......at the end of the day if a player wants to go you may as well sell him

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1

The whole thing about Pope being a poor distributer IMO hasn't been that evident on the small number of pre-season games I have watched.  I have been very impressed with him.  He was a decent keeper at Burnley and I only think he will improve with us.  We got him for peanuts too.

57 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The whole thing about Pope being a poor distributer IMO hasn't been that evident on the small number of pre-season games I have watched.  I have been very impressed with him.  He was a decent keeper at Burnley and I only think he will improve with us.  We got him for peanuts too.

Popes definitely an upgrade on old "Butterfingers" Dubravka 

1 hour ago, Rosco said:

It will make a big difference if Maddison & his agent are agitating for a move......at the end of the day if a player wants to go you may as well sell him

Especially with his contract situation 

11 hours ago, Howay said:

It’s ok lads, if we do miss out on Maddison he’s only a slight upgrade on a player he is absolutely fucking nothing like that we have already :lol:

He’ll be world class if we don’t sign him though 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

I thought it was just me. Definitely an 'emperor's new clothes' moment where one person has said he's distribution is shit and the masses, with some sort of unstable affinity towards Dubravka, seem to have followed like sheep. From what I've seen, his distribution is excellent as is his sweeping ability, which is something that has always terrified me with Dubravka. 

Too many are peddling the line 'Burnley got relegated so he must be shit' too. Only Man City (26), Liverpool (26), Chelsea (33), Spurs (40), Wolves (43), Brighton (44), Crystal Palace (46), Arsenal (48) & West Ham (51) conceded less goals than Burnley (53).

By contrast, we conceded 62. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

He’ll be world class if we don’t sign him though 

When we were linked with Coutinho.......money grabbing mercenary.....signed for Villa....world-class   

Stevie G as manager......busted flush....signed for Villa.....world-class  

Etikike....absolute shite.......signed for PSG.......world class 

Maddison.....overpriced shite.......if he signs for someone else....world class

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Craig said:

I thought it was just me. Definitely an 'emperor's new clothes' moment where one person has said he's distribution is shit and the masses, with some sort of unstable affinity towards Dubravka, seem to have followed like sheep. From what I've seen, his distribution is excellent as is his sweeping ability, which is something that has always terrified me with Dubravka. 

Too many are peddling the line 'Burnley got relegated so he must be shit' too. Only Man City (26), Liverpool (26), Chelsea (33), Spurs (40), Wolves (43), Brighton (44), Crystal Palace (46), Arsenal (48) & West Ham (51) conceded less goals than Burnley (53).

By contrast, we conceded 62. 

i think the chat about pope's distribution mainly comes from him playing at burnley where he would have been instructed to go long/direct quite often.

that doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing out from the back. he just hasn't played for a manager who wants his keepers to play that way most of the time. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Preface this by saying I like both goalkeepers.

Burnley conceded less than a lot of teams because of how Dyche had them set up to play as much as it was down to Pope. 

More goals conceded doesn’t equal worse goalkeeper

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, strawb said:

Preface this by saying I like both goalkeepers.

Burnley conceded less than a lot of teams because of how Dyche had them set up to play as much as it was down to Pope. 

More goals conceded doesn’t equal worse goalkeeper

Yes, you're right. I'm merely using the metric to discredit the gammons on Twitter who apply the line of 'only shit players get relegated'. 

The irony is the majority of those would probably have supported Wijnaldum coming back here. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think the chat about pope's distribution mainly comes from him playing at burnley where he would have been instructed to go long/direct quite often.

that doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing out from the back. he just hasn't played for a manager who wants his keepers to play that way most of the time. 

Aye, he addresses the point in his interview with The Athletic, he was basically told to launch it long at every opportunity. He says they’ve been working on playing the ball out from the back using the CBs and Bruno/Shelvey in preseason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, he addresses the point in his interview with The Athletic, he was basically told to launch it long at every opportunity. He says they’ve been working on playing the ball out from the back using the CBs and Bruno/Shelvey in preseason.

Great gamesmanship, other teams will read that article and as soon as the ball goes to Pope, they'll close down Bruno/Shelvey and the CB's, Pope will then launch it long to Wood who will take it down on his chest, swivel in one silky movement and hammer it into the top corner.................mebes.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

It can't just be FFP can it?

No, surely more going on. They've got space to do deals. They're talking about a squad with too many, well paid, fringe players who're proving difficult to move on. Leicester don't want to sell any of the player I mentioned above, but they can't shift the dross.

Honestly, I think after Fofana and Schmeichel are definitely going. Tielemans is next most likely, depending on the asking price and interested parties. He only has 1 year left on his deal (c£120k pw) so would be easier to get for a reasonable price than Maddison. However Maddison will be the more attractive target. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Something must be going at Leicester if Schemichel, Tielemans, Fofana, Maddison are all looking to move on. 

Rumour going round that Man United are closely monitoring Jamie Vardy. Leicester are going to have no one left.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season