Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

image.png.60e9aea12148cb61eba3cbe7e6195e90.png

Getting more than a little tedious with these two. Although I suppose the window has only just officially opened, and the tedium I feel mostly comes from the fact that we've been after these two since January. If Hope's info is correct, along with other things I've read, it would seem that both players are at least open to moving to us, despite all the stories in Italian publications to the contrary regarding Botman. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised or overly disappointed if Milan was his first choice tbh. We have to be realistic about where we are at this moment. We are a prospect but we’re not at Milan’s level… yet.

Hopefully he isn’t leading the club on a merry dance. But you’d hope we have a couple of other CB options to turn to if this one goes tits up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I wouldn’t be surprised or overly disappointed if Milan was his first choice tbh. We have to be realistic about where we are at this moment. We are a prospect but we’re not at Milan’s level… yet.

Hopefully he isn’t leading the club on a merry dance. But you’d hope we have a couple of other CB options to turn to if this one goes tits up.

I think he probably prefers Milan, but I don’t think it’s what is holding the deal up and the Italian medias constant assertion that he’s got zero interest in joining us is total bollocks. There’s no way someone like Ashworth is going to keep persisting with a deal if the player has zero interest in joining. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Howay said:

I think he probably prefers Milan, but I don’t think it’s what is holding the deal up and the Italian medias constant assertion that he’s got zero interest in joining us is total bollocks. There’s no way someone like Ashworth is going to keep persisting with a deal if the player has zero interest in joining. 

he's on the record saying he was interested in us and he liked a mocked up pic of him in a newcastle shirt on instagram so anyone saying he has zero interest in joining us is clearly talking shite.

i wouldn't be surprised if he does end up here, or if were his second choice and he ends up at milan if they stump up the cash. it definitely feels like one that could turn into a "transfer saga" that drags on till the back end of the wndow. i imagine there is a plan b in place for this position if that is the case. though tbh, it is maybe one we can let drag on a bit. central defence isn't the area that concerns me most.  third and fourth choice aren't that strong, even if lascelles and fernandez both stay, but i'd rather get the forward positions reinforced and add more creativity to our midfield as a priority. burn and schar did great last season. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

Seen a video of some ITK football blogger stating his case for Bale being a good shout for us. Immediately I would assume that he's not the type of character that Howe would want around the squad. Then again Bale does seem to care about his involvement with and representing Wales, so getting him just before the World Cup could see him take his football seriously in order to be in peak condition for the WC, as opposed to just playing golf with Shelvey seven days a week. 

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's on the record saying he was interested in us and he liked a mocked up pic of him in a newcastle shirt on instagram so anyone saying he has zero interest in joining us is clearly talking shite.

i wouldn't be surprised if he does end up here, or if were his second choice and he ends up at milan if they stump up the cash. it definitely feels like one that could turn into a "transfer saga" that drags on till the back end of the wndow. i imagine there is a plan b in place for this position if that is the case. though tbh, it is maybe one we can let drag on a bit. central defence isn't the area that concerns me most.  third and fourth choice aren't that strong, even if lascelles and fernandez both stay, but i'd rather get the forward positions reinforced and add more creativity to our midfield as a priority. burn and schar did great last season. 

Agreed, honestly as with all the players we have bid on I’m not really bothered if we get them or walk away, I’m comfortable that they have a list of players all of which will improve us. As you say I think our defence, while it needs improved to compete for European spots, is good enough for next season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Seen a video of some ITK football blogger stating his case for Bale being a good shout for us. Immediately I would assume that he's not the type of character that Howe would want around the squad. Then again Bale does seem to care about his involvement with and representing Wales, so getting him just before the World Cup could see him take his football seriously in order to be in peak condition for the WC, as opposed to just playing golf with Shelvey seven days a week. 

Aye but it's about him being fit. Last season he missed 24 league matches with a various assortment of ailments. If it was one injury he was over then I'd say yes but given it's constantly one thing or another with him I'd pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Whilst you're right there's also the chance that he just fancies playing in the slower paced less physical Italian league against inferior opposition. If that's his temperament we don't want him anyway.

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye but it's about him being fit. Last season he missed 24 league matches with a various assortment of ailments. If it was one injury he was over then I'd say yes but given it's constantly one thing or another with him I'd pass.

Constant niggles could be linked to him not giving a shit, not training and warming down properly etc. It may also be the case that he was told to do one, not be around the squad, and the reports of injury were at times either fabricated or overblown. In any case obviously he'd need to pass a medical. I'm not really sold on it myself either, but it's a high risk move that could work out if the conditions are right, and Howe believes that Bale would keep his head down. 

4 minutes ago, OTF said:

Whilst you're right there's also the chance that he just fancies playing in the slower paced less physical Italian league against inferior opposition. If that's his temperament we don't want him anyway.

I've seen this put about on twitter and whilst I admit I know next to nothing about the lad, I'd be very surprised if a young up and coming international player had that attitude.  If he was about 30 I could see this being a possibility but not at 22.  If he picks Milan ahead of us, I have no doubt it will be for a combination of champions league football, playing for the champions who are one of the world biggest most historic clubs and the chance to live in Milan.  And all of them would be perfectly valid reasons.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

so aye, get ekitike, eriksen or paqueta and a proper number 9 in first. then let's see if we can do the bottman

Do the Bartman - Wikipedia

• Haha 2

“Newcastle are trying to hijack the deal” - Toon launch late bid for £20m man ahead of medical? | NUFC blog – Newcastle United blog – NUFC Fixtures, News and Forum.

Possible Botman alternative given he's a left footed centre back. If true it could also be us trying to focus the minds of Lille and Botman's agent. 

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season