Bruno Guimarães

wykikitoon

• 2 weeks later...

He looked like he did when he first signed today. Feels like that was the first time he’s played further forwards for about a season. A reminder of what we’ve been missing, if only we had a natural DM to unleash him further forwards.

I’m not convinced Miley is that player but it’s a start 

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He looked like he did when he first signed today. Feels like that was the first time he’s played further forwards for about a season. A reminder of what we’ve been missing, if only we had a natural DM to unleash him further forwards.

Miley has done a great job but he's not ready for anything more than a cameo yet. The future's bright for the kid. He needs a rest. 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Miley has done a great job but he's not ready for anything more than a cameo yet. The future's bright for the kid. He needs a rest. 

He's been great has massive potential but ideally his run of first team games of a long period would have finished a while ago.  Some of the games are passing him by a bit now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

And in other news, our man on the ground in Italy has a scoop, over to you Ciaoman.

• Haha 3

You could see what it meant to him when he was wheeling away in celebration pointing to the Castore badge. The lad really loves below average quality sportswear.

• Haha 8

On 10/02/2024 at 20:57, Dr Gloom said:

I would be tempted to play Miley as the DM all the time with current players available. I’m not saying that’s definitely his position long term but when I’ve seen him play as one of the more advanced midfielders he leaves us open. He kind often ‘cheats’ in the way Gordon sometimes does too. By that I mean instead of properly tracking his runner, he’ll hope the ball gets turned over so he’s stole a 5/10 yard march on his marker. It’s fine Gordon doing it sometimes because he’s in a more advanced role. But Miley leaves us too open doing it there. He’s probably gotten away with it and had joy at junior / reserve level, as the ball gets turned over more easily and you don’t get punished as much. If you ask him to play a more disciplined role then that might cut out that issue. With the deeper starting position and less licence to get forward he knows he then can’t do that. He’s also very neat and tidy on the ball and comfortable receiving it under pressure, which also suits that position. The other thing is that it frees up both Bruno and Longstaff to be the more marauding / attacking midfielders of the 3 in the manager’s favoured system. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I would be tempted to play Miley as the DM all the time with current players available. I’m not saying that’s definitely his position long term but when I’ve seen him play as one of the more advanced midfielders he leaves us open. He kind often ‘cheats’ in the way Gordon sometimes does too. By that I mean instead of properly tracking his runner, he’ll hope the ball gets turned over so he’s stole a 5/10 yard march on his marker. It’s fine Gordon doing it sometimes because he’s in a more advanced role. But Miley leaves us too open doing it there. He’s probably gotten away with it and had joy at junior / reserve level, as the ball gets turned over more easily and you don’t get punished as much. If you ask him to play a more disciplined role then that might cut out that issue. With the deeper starting position and less licence to get forward he knows he then can’t do that. He’s also very neat and tidy on the ball and comfortable receiving it under pressure, which also suits that position. The other thing is that it frees up both Bruno and Longstaff to be the more marauding / attacking midfielders of the 3 in the manager’s favoured system. 

My only concern with the above is the physicality that's pretty important for that role. Miley isn't afraid to get stuck in, but I worry he'd be too easily nudged off the ball.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My only concern with the above is the physicality that's pretty important for that role. Miley isn't afraid to get stuck in, but I worry he'd be too easily nudged off the ball.

Yeah, I agree. Probably not ideal but a possible solution with so little in the way if midfield options. He might surprise us like. But from a developmental pov he shouldn’t be playing this much anyway. We’re not even sure he’s stopped growing 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah, I agree. Probably not ideal but a possible solution with so little in the way if midfield options. He might surprise us like. But from a developmental pov he shouldn’t be playing this much anyway. We’re not even sure he’s stopped growing 

I hope he hasn’t stopped growing he’s only 17/18

edit: I always thought you stopped growing at 21.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I hope he hasn’t stopped growing he’s only 17/18

edit: I always thought you stopped growing at 21.

Varies a bit though. Rooney was like a man at that age. Barkley too. Saw some footage of the latter playing academy or district football once. It was ridiculous. He was like a bloke playing against 14 year olds 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Varies a bit though. Rooney was like a man at that age. Barkley too. Saw some footage of the latter playing academy or district football once. It was ridiculous. He was like a bloke playing against 14 year olds 

The good thing about Miley is that he's already got the height, so if he fills out he could be pretty imposing. 

• Like 5

On 13/02/2024 at 07:02, Alex said:

the problem Howe has is Bruno is the best player we have available at both DM and “number 8” right now. Miley could go on to be a good “number 6” as he’s got a good football brain and is happy receiving it under pressure, like you say. I’d like to see us continue with this experiment of Bruno playing further forwards - especially against the weaker teams. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

He's going nowhere in the summer IMO.

Fucking love the kid.

I hope not. He seems happy here and is as good a CM as I can remember playing for us. No guarantees that we find an adequate replacement for him, even with an open cheque book 

• Like 2

Yeah it make sense he'd stay another season at least and try and win something, cement legendary status here. Seems the type to be driven by that.

3-4 signings, and without many of the freak injury/luck situations from this season, you can easily sell that a memorable season might be in the offing. 

I do think we need a CL finish and maybe a cup win/final next season to keep the overall momentum of the 'project' going and keep top players interested. 

• Like 2