2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why?

Spurs have been in the top Four, 5 out of the last 10 seasons. Lowest they finished was 7th in that time.

They've got an elite stadium.

World class players. 

etcetera etcetera

Edited by The Fish

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Spurs have been in the top Four, 5 out of the last 10 seasons. Lowest they finished was 7th in that time.

World class players. 

etcetera etcetera

Yep. Media darlings, especially the Beeb. Loads of Irish supporters. We'll get there though. And, on the other hand, they are now in a precarious situation. They'll lose Kane and maybe Son this summer. Get their next managerial appointment wrong, and with that huge stadium mortgage*, they could be in trouble. 

* Disclaimer, I've no idea how this is paid for. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

World class players. 

etcetera etcetera

Yeah but you realise that our sponsorship deals won't be about what companies are willing to pay us but what we can possibly justify as fair market value. Being in the CL will basically be a way of saying to the PL that all our Saudi sponsorship deals are above board and them not being able to prove otherwise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Winston said:

How is the club being promoted in Saudi Arabia? Are the games being shown live on TV etc, has the Newcastle fan base grown over there, shirt sales etc etc. If theres any posters on here who are based in the middle east that could give us some insight that would be great.

Everyone got a letter last year telling them that we are their favourite club. 

Simple. 
okay.gif

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah but you realise that our sponsorship deals won't be about what companies are willing to pay us but what we can possibly justify as fair market value. Being in the CL will basically be a way of saying to the PL that all our Saudi sponsorship deals are above board and them not being able to prove otherwise.

Yeah I get that, but I don't think we can say that an equal deal is 'fair market value'. It'll be a huge increase, no doubt, but it won't be the same as Spurs' deals.

But that’s the issue with the whole rule, I don’t think it matters that people could point to Spurs current standing you have to look at the life of the deal & potential growth, as ewerk says you’d take Spurs amount - a CL team - and if we got into the CL and signed a new 5 year deal the argument of “fair market value” would be based on the potential future growth given the direction we’re heading - that’s what we would lean on not the recent history. For me it’s a harder argument for someone to say a 5 year deal should have us at a lower rate than Spurs than it is to say that’s the bracket our club will be in and that’s what the assessment really is. 

• Like 1

I’ll add on we also have extra factors driving up our price, we are the club of SA which means there is an argument that SA sponsors would pay a premium therefore they’d have to exceed the bid of anyone else for the contracts. I personally think it’s just an exercise in BS, you also add in the age of the Spurs deals and growth in the PL during those years meaning their deal is worth less now than when they signed it which all factors in as well. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

add on we also have extra factors driving up our price, we are the club of SA which means there is an argument that SA sponsors would pay a premium therefore they’d have to exceed the bid of anyone else for the contracts

So, basically…

make-it-rain-money-rain.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Howay said:

I’ll add on we also have extra factors driving up our price, we are the club of SA which means there is an argument that SA sponsors would pay a premium therefore they’d have to exceed the bid of anyone else for the contracts. I personally think it’s just an exercise in BS, you also add in the age of the Spurs deals and growth in the PL during those years meaning their deal is worth less now than when they signed it which all factors in as well. 

Inflationary pressures have definitely driven up fair market value

image.jpeg

• Haha 5

I'm amazed it hasn't happened sooner. Better let the Aurors know the Dark Lord's going to be at it again after this, flinging curses around with as much accuracy as his Hollywood balls. Also that article twice states he's on loan from us, which thankfully isn't true, we're permanently shot of him. 

• Like 2

The blokes an absolute prick and always has been. I couldn’t be happier we’re finally rid of him from the club, and despite some people’s initial worry that he’d be a miss we’ve kept marching on. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Howay said:

The blokes an absolute prick and always has been. I couldn’t be happier we’re finally rid of him from the club, and despite some people’s initial worry that he’d be a miss we’ve kept marching on. 

i was more worried about the lack of squad depth in his position but so far we've been lucky with injuries and managed with four players covering the three CM places

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i was more worried about the lack of squad depth in his position but so far we've been lucky with injuries and managed with four players covering the three CM places

Wasn’t really meaning you as I remembered you were concerned about squad depth, I was more meaning the twitter crew who act like Jonjo Shelvey is some brilliant player and we’d miss what he brings to the side. 

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat