Other Games 22/23

5 minutes ago, MrBass said:

This isn't based on nothing though is it. He's not saying it's likely but it is a possibility given Liverpool's mini revival and their easy run in. Plus it would be just like these cunts to go on a run and pip us to 4th. 

Also, our GD doesn't really come into it with them as theirs is pretty decent too and they're more than capable of spanking someone 5/6-0. 

I'm fairly confident that we'll finish in the top 4 but I'm not overly confident about it at the moment. 

Mini-revival? This month so far they have been spanked by Man City, failed to beat Arsenal or Chelsea(!), had narrow wins over Forest and West Ham, and admittedly spanked Leeds. The one thing is that they are inconsistent. ANd when have they pipped us to anything? You'd need to go back nearly 20 years. 

Anyway, we're all agreed it's in our hands so these arguments are academic. 

• Like 1

At our current PPG we're on target to finish with 72 points. It would take Liverpool to win all their remaining games and us to have a sudden loss of form for them to catch us.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

At our current PPG we're on target to finish with 72 points. It would take Liverpool to win all their remaining games and us to have a sudden loss of form for them to catch us.

yep. 1 Bruno (or Trippier) injury will do that. 

Need some testosterone tests on some posters itt. Seeing monsters under the bed.

Liverpool have had a single run of 6 consecutive games this season where they earned even the points they would need to get to 67 points* (2.17ppg).

Of course it's not impossible that they could win all their remaining games but it's highly improbable based on what we've seen so far from them this season.

Their ppg for the last 6 games (which some of us are filling our nappies about) is 1.83. Keep that going to the end of the season and they'll be on 64 points. We're only 5 points short of that now. Incidentally, 64 points is BELOW the magical 66.

You all need to stand in front of the mirror and repeat 10 times "66 points is all we need".

*this was that run of games for info:

Wolves 3 - 0 Liverpool

Liverpool 2 - 0 Everton

Newcastle 0 - 2 Liverpool

Palace 0 - 0 Liverpool

Liverpool 2 - 0 Wolves

Liverpool 7 - 0 Man United

2.17 ppg average. Their BEST run this season.

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Bruno, aye. I seem to remember we survived okay without Trippier for half of last season theugh? 

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s highly unlikely. I’m trying to stay rational. The next two games feel massive and if we get two wins we’re pretty much guaranteed top 4. 

I do hear what everyone is saying though.  Liverpool have been out of sorts this season but are one of the few sides with the players and manager capable of putting together that kind of winning run. They have done it in recent seasons, their run-in is kind they look better since Trent has started playing in midfield.

Plus we’re Newcastle fans. We’re not used to things going right. It’s going to take a while to lose that mindset.

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

anyone ever blamed their team conceding a goal on their mrs for daring to enter the room? 

"Leave" seems like decent advice tbh

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Plus we’re Newcastle fans. We’re not used to things going right. It’s going to take a while to lose that mindset.

I'm fully with you when it comes to winning things. We could be 7 nil up in an FA cup final with 10 minutes to go and I'd be bricking it. Seriously, to the extent I can't really enjoy it. But we've been here before in my lifetime. We have qualified for the CL 3 times, and Europe countless times. It's not a biggie. So at this stage my intellect overcomes my irrationality and I see things as the bookies do. We are odds on to qualify for the CL, in third place imo. 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

They cant catch us if we get to 72

If we both ended up on 71, which is mathematically possible, then it will come down to goal difference.

At that point it would be very close as they would have gained at least +6 and we would have gained 12 points from 7 games (difficult to say what would happen to our goal difference in that case)

I fully expect us to get to 72+ points

And as others have pointed out, its likely given Liverpool's form this season, they will drop points

They are the only team I think have any chance of catching us.

And, if they do, there is still a chance we would both finish above ManU anyway 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

who do we want to win later - spurs or man u? i'm leaning towards spurs so we can go for 3rd 

I only really carte about us winning (I think we are on 15 minutes earlier?). If we do, then a draw or SPurs winning would be fine. If we don't., I might give up hope of third a bit and prefer spurs to be beat. 

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

who do we want to win later - spurs or man u? i'm leaning towards spurs so we can go for 3rd 

Man U. Get CL guaranteed ASAP then fight it out for third spot.

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye, it’s not like football is unpredictable or anything. 

Can anyone tell me our PPG from the first part of last season to second half please?

It's not entirely predictable, but some of you wet blankets are suggesting that Liverpool will suddenly win every fucking game. Despite them not showing anything like that kind of form beforehand. This 'mini-revival' consisted of Leeds, Forest and West Ham. And the West Ham and Forest games were not a marker they'd set down declaring that they're back. They could just as easily lose to Spurs and Brentford as beat them, in my opinion. Villa is certaily going to be a test for them. 

They're still pedestrian in midfield and suspect at the back. 

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

And an injury to Salah, or Van Dijk will do for them as well. Why is it more likely that our form will collapse and their's continue to dramatically improve? 

pussyhole

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Whatever result gives Spurs the right motivation to take points off Liverpool and silence the doommongers on here. 

Spurs coming back to draw would be good. 

5 minutes ago, strawb said:

I think we will finish 3rd tbh

Same. Which is why I want Man United to draw tonight.

We want to keep them interested for when they play Villa and Brighton. All of these divs nicking points off one another makes our lives easier and increases our chance of getting third.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

And an injury to Salah, or Van Dijk will do for them as well. Why is it more likely that our form will collapse and their's continue to dramatically improve? 

pussyhole

I’m just merely pointing out factors that stats don’t account for. 

l love the childish name calling as well. Rattled. 😂