Other Games 22/23

32 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Absolute torture for the fans on both sides. Penalties to decide this thing is BRUTAL.

I’ve always said that the play-off concept is fucking idiotic. 

Play all season, finish third, way clear of 4th place team.…

… fuck you, the 6th place team are going up based on one game. 

7 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Not in this case though. 

…and play offs are based on 3 games :cuppa:

Aye, I know they were third, but my point still stands- it’s mental that a team with 20+ points less than the third placed team can be promoted over them.

Not only is it unfair, but it’s fucking pointless- what chance have those teams got of staying up? 

I just think it makes a mockery of the whole concept of a league. 

If it’s a fair way to decide promotion, then it’s a fair way to decide relegation, aye? 

So finishing 15th in the PL, on 40+ points, thinking you’re safe, but no- fuck you, play three games to decide whether you go down? 

It’s fucking bollocks man. 

Bottom three go down , top three go up. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, I know they were third, but my point still stands- it’s mental that a team with 20+ points less than the third placed team can be promoted over them.

Not only is it unfair, but it’s fucking pointless- what chance have those teams got of staying up? 

If it’s a fair way to decide promotion, then it’s a fair way to decide relegation, aye? 

So finishing 15th in the PL, on 40+ points, thinking you’re safe, but no- fuck you, play three games to decide whether you go down? 

Aye, completely agree and said pretty much the same to my Hatters mate.

Surprised it hasn’t been adopted for relegation too, probably less lucrative to watch your team get relegated than it is to watch them promoted. 

• Like 1

The first couple of playoffs did involve the third or fourth bottom team in division one - I remember Chelsea being involved once at least. 

44 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Lot's of things aren't fair in the football league set up man. Logically three points for a win isn't. But it makes it exciting, why we all watch games like today (I didn't like, right now I'm watching the worst ever entertainment in the Patterdale hotel). The relegation idea of yours sounds like a goer imo. 👍

57 minutes ago, NJS said:

The first couple of playoffs did involve the third or fourth bottom team in division one - I remember Chelsea being involved once at least. 

Was there not too much bother with teams being relegated via the playoffs which ended it? Leeds fans going on the rampage after losing to Charlton rings a bell 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve always said that the play-off concept is fucking idiotic. 

Play all season, finish third, way clear of 4th place team.…

… fuck you, the 6th place team are going up based on one game. 

They should keep it simple like in Italy (Serie B promotion and relegation):

At the end of the season, three teams are promoted to Serie A and four teams are relegated to Serie C. 

The top two teams are automatically promoted and the third place team is only automatically promoted if they are more than 14 points clear of the fourth placed team. 

If the third place team is not more than 14 points clear of the fourth place team then the teams from third place to eighth place enter a play-off to decide the final promotion spot.

The play-off system has three rounds and the rules are as follows.[6]

The preliminary round between fifth and eighth and between sixth and seventh are a single match on the ground of the best placed in the regular season . In the event of a tie at the end of normal time, extra time will be played. If the game is still tied at the end of extra time, the highest ranked team goes through, without taking a penalty shootout.

The semi-finals are a two-legged competition with a first leg at home for the teams that played in the preliminary round and a second leg at home for the third and fourth placed teams in the regular season. In the event of a tie in the aggregate result, the best-ranked team in the regular season progresses to the final, without extra time and penalties.

The final is played between the winners of the semi-finals over two legs, the latter at the home of the best-placed team in the league. In the event of a tie, the best-placed team in the regular season is promoted to Serie A, without the need for extra time or penalties. In the event that the two finalists have finished the regular season on equal points, the second leg includes extra time and penalties if required.

In the relegation zone, the three last-placed teams (18th, 19th and 20th) are automatically demoted to Serie C. If the 16th-placed team is 5 or more points ahead of the 17th-placed team, then the 17th-placed team becomes the 4th and final team to be demoted, otherwise, the conditions for a playoff more commonly called playout exist.

If the playout is necessary, the 16th and 17th-placed teams are paired in a two-legged series with home-field advantage in the 2nd leg going to the 16th-placed team. The team with the higher aggregate score remains in Serie B while the loser becomes the fourth team relegated to Serie C. If an aggregate tie exists at the end of regulation play of the 2nd leg, the 16th-placed team is saved, and the 17th-placed team is demoted, unless the two teams ended the season with equal points, in which case there will be extra-time and a penalty shoot-out if still tied.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

I didn't like, right now I'm watching the worst ever entertainment in the Patterdale hotel

Never mind this play-off shit, this is the stuff I want to hear about. :lol:

Is it a 50+ yr old slapper who was probably worth a shuffle in 1990-91, singing terrible Whitney Houston covers, with a tribute to Tina Turner as her finale?

Or some bloke the same age with a Paul Weller cut, angrily belting out his “interpretations” of The Jam songs? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Never mind this play-off shit, this is the stuff I want to hear about. :lol:

Is it a 50+ yr old slapper who was probably worth a shuffle in 1990-91, singing terrible Whitney Houston covers, with a tribute to Tina Turner as her finale?

Or some bloke the same age with a Paul Weller cut, angrily belting out his “interpretations” of The Jam songs? 

Worse than that mate. Male, mix the worst points of both your suggestions, and you're not even near how bad this guy is!

He's come over from Morcambe to do this, hope he gets a slow puncture back. Not really,  sure he's okay really and feeling very sad inside. 

• Haha 2

When Sunderland first went to the third division it was a play off game, they were third bottom of the second division and lost to third division Gillingham over two legs on away goals. As has been said, Charlton managed to stay up by winning their first division/second division play off. I remember being very bitter about finishing third in 1990, 90 minutes from a possible title then losing to sixth place Sunderland. Because it was still fairly new it seemed so wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Worse than that mate. Male, mix the worst points of both your suggestions, and you're not even near how bad this guy is!

He's come over from Morcambe to do this, hope he gets a slow puncture back. Not really,  sure he's okay really and feeling very sad inside. 

More to the point, though, what the fuck are you doing watching him? :lol:

How dire were your other options for this one to be the winner? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

When Sunderland first went to the third division it was a play off game, they were third bottom of the second division and lost to third division Gillingham over two legs on away goals. As has been said, Charlton managed to stay up by winning their first division/second division play off. I remember being very bitter about finishing third in 1990, 90 minutes from a possible title then losing to sixth place Sunderland. Because it was still fairly new it seemed so wrong.

To quote Charles Harrison : "Oh my god, Cascarino has scored again". 

Agree on 89/90 - especially as McKeag tipped the club the wink that whoever got through to the final was guaranteed promotion as they'd already decided to fuck over Swindon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Isn't that the Scottish way?

5 hours ago, Alex said:

They should keep it simple like in Italy (Serie B promotion and relegation):

At the end of the season, three teams are promoted to Serie A and four teams are relegated to Serie C. 

The top two teams are automatically promoted and the third place team is only automatically promoted if they are more than 14 points clear of the fourth placed team. 

If the third place team is not more than 14 points clear of the fourth place team then the teams from third place to eighth place enter a play-off to decide the final promotion spot.

The play-off system has three rounds and the rules are as follows.[6]

The preliminary round between fifth and eighth and between sixth and seventh are a single match on the ground of the best placed in the regular season . In the event of a tie at the end of normal time, extra time will be played. If the game is still tied at the end of extra time, the highest ranked team goes through, without taking a penalty shootout.

The semi-finals are a two-legged competition with a first leg at home for the teams that played in the preliminary round and a second leg at home for the third and fourth placed teams in the regular season. In the event of a tie in the aggregate result, the best-ranked team in the regular season progresses to the final, without extra time and penalties.

The final is played between the winners of the semi-finals over two legs, the latter at the home of the best-placed team in the league. In the event of a tie, the best-placed team in the regular season is promoted to Serie A, without the need for extra time or penalties. In the event that the two finalists have finished the regular season on equal points, the second leg includes extra time and penalties if required.

In the relegation zone, the three last-placed teams (18th, 19th and 20th) are automatically demoted to Serie C. If the 16th-placed team is 5 or more points ahead of the 17th-placed team, then the 17th-placed team becomes the 4th and final team to be demoted, otherwise, the conditions for a playoff more commonly called playout exist.

If the playout is necessary, the 16th and 17th-placed teams are paired in a two-legged series with home-field advantage in the 2nd leg going to the 16th-placed team. The team with the higher aggregate score remains in Serie B while the loser becomes the fourth team relegated to Serie C. If an aggregate tie exists at the end of regulation play of the 2nd leg, the 16th-placed team is saved, and the 17th-placed team is demoted, unless the two teams ended the season with equal points, in which case there will be extra-time and a penalty shoot-out if still tied.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

• Haha 1