Brenda's Brussels Sprout Farts vs. Eddie and Gemmill's Christmas Crackers

Meenzer

2 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

They are poisoned chalice ready for consumption. Their atmosphere is beyond toxic. Even if they win, they have four losses. With that squad and tactics they might end up out of Europa.

Absolute bollocks. They started the season terribly, yet they're only 4 points behind us with a game in hand and Ten Hag looks like he's getting a good tune out of them now. If we're in the title race, they are. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It should be clear here if it isn't, that I'm not the one arguing either them or us are in the title race. 

For an accountant you'd make a great lawyer.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Gloom, if we lose to Arsenal next week and are 13 points off the top, are we still in the title race? 

Also, just checking if Man United are in the title race cos they're 1 point behind us if they win their game in hand?

I think Man U are in a similar situation to us: Top 4 contenders, long odds for the title but in the mix as things stand. 

If we lose to Arsenal then I’d agree the picture looks quite different. We already have ground to make up and are clearly the outside bet in this conversation. (I still think Man City are favourites and Arsenal I presume will drop off at some point). But we are part of the conversation. Just drink that in. 

I’d flip the question on it’s head though. If we beat Arsenal, would you dare to dream about what we might achieve this season? 

I just get irritated by clueless pundits who dismiss certain club’s chances because they’re unfashionable or don’t have the recent history of success. It happened throughout Leicester’s title winning season and blew up in their faces beautifully. Who’s to say lightening can’t strike twice? Look at how we’re playing. We can give anyone a game, particularly at home. We don’t have the best squad but we have one of the best managers and we have momentum.

Even we we do drop off this season, we’re coming for the title sooner rather than later. The “big six” know it and are shitting it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Experience, objective reasoning, common sense, sexiness.

okay, I get why experience of being shite clouds our view. But we’re not shite anymore are we? We’re absolutely mint at football all of a sudden. 

I wonder at what point you would start thinking we have a chance. Would you revise your view if we’re still in touching distance in Feb or March or April?

FWIW, I don’t actually think we’re going to win the title this season. But the Saudi juggernaut is coming. 

Joking aside I think entertaining the idea of us being a title race when we're 10pts off the the leaders would only lead to disappointment when we only finish in European competition. Much better to enjoy the fact that we're favourites to be playing abroad next season, and hoping for the trips to Milan rather than Midtjylland.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

okay, I get why experience of being shite clouds our view. But we’re not shite anymore are we? We’re absolutely mint at football all of a sudden. 

I wonder at what point you would start thinking we have a chance. Would you revise your view if we’re still in touching distance in Feb or March or April?

FWIW, I don’t actually think we’re going to win the title this season. But the Saudi juggernaut is coming. 

But we're not in touching distance now. If we were 3rd by only 3 or 4pts, then sure, dream away. But we've got players performing at their peak or a little above it and we're still 10pts off the top spot. 

The juggernaut is coming, but let's not rush it. Let's enjoy this part of the journey because, honestly, it might be the most fun.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

If losing one game with 20 to play puts us out of the title race, we were never in the title race. 

Clase closed. 

Objection. 

What happens if we beat Arsenal?

Just now, The Fish said:

But we're not in touching distance now. If we were 3rd by only 3 or 4pts, then sure, dream away. But we've got players performing at their peak or a little above it and we're still 10pts off the top spot. 

The juggernaut is coming, but let's not rush it. Let's enjoy this part of the journey because, honestly, it might be the most fun.

I’m absolutely enjoying it. That’s the point 

I’m going into this Arsenal game thinking yeah, we’ll probably lose. And a draw would be a great result for our top 4 credentials.

But there’s a hint of mindless optimism, admittedly a small voice, but it’s there nonetheless, that is asking: what if we win?

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m absolutely enjoying it. That’s the point 

Good. For me, saying we're in a title race seems like setting us up for a fall.

Isn’t that what being a football fan is all

about? Dreaming about the impossible? We’ve been bludgeoned into submission for so long that we’re denying ourselves that pleasure. 

Whatever happens this season, it’ll be a success. Even if we slip out out the top 4. We’ve got the least to lose, because we’re so unfancied, which can also be out secret weapon: playing without fear or the weight of expectation. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Good. For me, saying we're in a title race seems like setting us up for a fall.

on the contrary. I won’t be the slightest bit disappointed we we “fail” to win anything this season. I’m just enjoying being part of the conversation again. 

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It happened throughout Leicester’s title winning season and blew up in their faces beautifully. Who’s to say lightening can’t strike twice?

Exactly, we’re talking about lightning striking twice, that’s how incredibly unlikely it is. The bookies have us 20/1 for the title when in reality it should be 100/1.

Leicester went on an incredible run to win the title but that isn’t why they won the title. They won it because all the usual contenders were absolutely shite that season. The 81 points they got in 15/16 wouldn’t have seen them win the PL in any season since. In fact they’d have finished second just once.

So if Arsenal and Man City completely implode then we can win the title. One of those sides doing so is possible, both is highly unlikely.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

on the contrary. I won’t be the slightest bit disappointed we we “fail” to win anything this season. I’m just enjoying being part of the conversation again. 

Fyi, we’re putting you on suicide watch if it’s nowts each at half time on Saturday :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

"FOR", "ME".

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Fyi, we’re putting you on suicide watch if it’s nowts each at half time on Saturday :D

It is easy to forget what losing feels like when you’ve only lost one game all season 

• Haha 2

This goal looks even better from this angle. How good was Bruno’s but of skill and pass to start off the move? Then I love how Miggy gets on his bike as soon as trippier receives the ball because he knows exactly which pass is coming. Then the one two with Bruno for the assist. Absolute chef’s kiss of a move 

• Like 2