Eddie’s title chasers against some league one outfit from Yorkshire

Dr Gloom

It’s difficult to say if he was genuinely struggling at Burnley or that was the team as well. But it can’t have helped his confidence. Someone else mentioned imposter syndrome which is definitely a thing with certain players. As is the ability to handle playing in front of large crowds. Look at players who clearly liked playing in empty stadiums due to covid. There’s an expectation here now going forward. Is Chris Wood just shite? I don’t think he is. We got him because he was available and the circumstances but Howe still must’ve seen something in him otherwise we’d have looked elsewhere. Does Chris Wood believe he’s good enough to play in front of 52k fans for a team that could soon be in the Champions League? I don’t think he does. I hope he gets a decent move in the summer because he probably needs to move in for his own sake as well as from a selfish NUFC pov. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

the audible groans from the crowd now are only gonna get louder.

Well you & the rest of the Gloucestershire Gurning Squad can just fuckin cut that out, capice? 😡

Youre right though, his finishing has been wank for a year. The last two games he’s gone beyond that though, the chance he got at Arsenal looked like me on a Sunday morning circa 1995. That’s what I mean by going backwards. He completely bottled it, his confidence appears lower than it was pre WC. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Well you & the rest of the Gloucestershire Gurning Squad can just fuckin cut that out, capice? 😡

Youre right though, his finishing has been wank for a year. The last two games he’s gone beyond that though, the chance he got at Arsenal looked like me on a Sunday morning circa 1995. That’s what I mean by going backwards. He completely bottled it, his confidence appears lower than it was pre WC. 

aye, he may well have been saved by the flag at arsenal, although he wasn't aware of it when he had the perfect opportunity to shoot. my part of the crowd was screaming for him to do so, the reaction when didn't, not particularly favourable.

gonna get worse, he needs taking out the firing line and preferably moved on.

I think his price tag put a fairly sized burden on his shoulders and when he didn't get off the scoresheet for 2 months it just added to the pressure. 

I don't think he's specifically a bad player - a goal every other game at Leeds and 1 goal in 3 at Burnley suggests there's something there; I just don't think Chris Wood & Newcastle United has worked - sometimes it happens where a player and club don't gel. Many examples of this over the years - Keane at Liverpool; Shevchenko at Chelsea & Bergkamp at Inter are examples that spring to mind. 

• Like 2

I honestly think it's more that who we are now, does not scan with who we were when his transfer made sense. Our high-pressing, more fluid style just doesn't work with Chris "Plank of" Wood. But the whys and wherefores are moot now. He's not now, and nor will he be a part of our future. Better to get shot now. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Fish said:

I honestly think it's more that who we are now, does not scan with who we were when his transfer made sense. Our high-pressing, more fluid style just doesn't work with Chris "Plank of" Wood. But the whys and wherefores are moot now. He's not now, and nor will he be a part of our future. Better to get shot now. 

i don’t think our system suited him when he signed either. He’s much better with a second  striker playing off him. It always felt like a bit of a panic buy but it was panic stations last January and a case of needs must. And tbf to him he played a role on our unbeaten run which saved our season. Albeit without scoring many goals 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don’t think our system suited him when he signed either. He’s much better with a second  striker playing off him. It always felt like a bit of a panic buy but it was panic stations last January and a case of needs must. And tbf to him he played a role on our unbeaten run which saved our season. Albeit without scoring many goals 

I said it was FUCKING MOOT!"

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I said it was FUCKING MOOT!"

When you make a post it’s superfluous adding that. 👍🏻

;) 

• Haha 5

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think the point about him being better in a front two is probably accurate. He always had either Barnes or Rodriguez up with him to do his running/occupy the other centre half

Lets face it he's shite and needs a move away ASAP......Howe's signings have all been very good so far with only one failure / dud 

Edited by Rosco

Wood did a job for last season.  He was part of an unbeaten team and worked hard in defence at set pieces.  His move to us also weakened a relegation rival.  I wouldn't therefore call his move a failure. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Wood did a job for last season.  He was part of an unbeaten team and worked hard in defence at set pieces.  His move to us also weakened a relegation rival.  I wouldn't therefore call his move a failure. 

agreed. But he has done the job he was signed to do by helping us secure survival. get rid 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 11:56, wykikitoon said:

There were issues before the disaster yet ignorant fucks still blame Liverpool fans fully for it

Aye. I was doing back shifts in a local boozer for a second income at the time of the last Hillsborough inquest outcome. Some of the shite I heard spouted about Scousers was more sickening than some of the sectarian bile that would kill your career up here. Maybe that's just because I'm largely desensitised to a lot of the sectarian shit. 

Weirdly I probably came out of those few weeks having earmarked more folk as bona-fide bigots than I have in nearly 40 of living between Stirling and Glasgow and observing old firm fans. Swear I can't recall anyone disputing the outcome of that inquest that didn't resort to throwing in words like "rats", "scum" or "Heysel". 

What was that, ten years ago?

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

2 goals including 1 penalty in 17 games tells a different story he's shite and it hasnt worked out for him here but a new club might benefit him......he's just so fucking slow

Edited by Rosco

29 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Aye. I was doing back shifts in a local boozer for a second income at the time of the last Hillsborough inquest outcome. Some of the shite I heard spouted about Scousers was more sickening than some of the sectarian bile that would kill your career up here. Maybe that's just because I'm largely desensitised to a lot of the sectarian shit. 

Weirdly I probably came out of those few weeks having earmarked more folk as bona-fide bigots than I have in nearly 40 of living between Stirling and Glasgow and observing old firm fans. Swear I can't recall anyone disputing the outcome of that inquest that didn't resort to throwing in words like "rats", "scum" or "Heysel". 

What was that, ten years ago?

My father in law was there as a forest fan and still lambasts them. I've had a couple of discussions with him about it but just don't now. It just angers me.