howe with dan burn's funky disco moves v silva with mitrovic's fridge carrying two left feet.

thebrokendoll

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Does anyone else think Longstaff is shit with the ball? He’s great at tracking and pressing and tackling but whenever he gets the ball he’s shit.

Not really. Played some nice stuff today (and recently) and played in a delightful cross for the goal. If he'd netted 3 of the 50 chances he has had in his last few games then  I think he'd be getting talked up quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Does anyone else think Longstaff is shit with the ball? He’s great at tracking and pressing and tackling but whenever he gets the ball he’s shit.

No Kev it’s just you mate :) 

home!

the wait for a first half goal goes on. really thought wilson should've buried his chance to break that first half jinx but there you go.

looked like another leeds game or worse when they got the penalty and didn't know what the fuck was going on, think everybody was expecting it being retaken at first, so obviously delighted. equally so with isak's goal, hoping he gets a good injury free run now because we really have lost our cutting edge of late.

anyway, all's well that ends well..... onwards and upwards!   :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The goals will come. Id be more worried if we weren't creating anything. This team is brave encompassed by Longstaff keep getting in there.

I didn't go to the fulham away game when the floodgates opened earlier in the season. they remained open for quite some time.

I'm not going to palace for the next league game...... here's hoping for a repeat run!  :)

I'm interested to see if Howe decides to start Wilson and Isak together next match.

It was a definite change in system from a clear three in midfield (two 6s and a number 8 ) to a more conventional flat central midfield 2 with Isak playing as something like an old school 10 roaming in between the lines behind Wilson.

It worked really well with Maxi on the field. He stretched the pitch as he always does and we looked much more dangerous as a result. The game was more open though so I'm not sure if Howe will fancy starting him away from home just yet.

Away to Palace, I think we might see a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 type setup with Longstaff and Joelinton in the middle and Willock from the left as a kind of narrow winger. Bruno usually gives enough stability in midfield to allow Joelinton more attacking freedom, but with Bruno missing Joelinton may be asked to sit alongside Longstaff more often with Willock, being not so suited to the holding midfielder role, asked to be a bit more static in the wide role to be an outlet for Longstaff, support midfield in defence and carry the ball on the counter. Then to provide the width on the left without sacrificing too much defensive solidity, Isak could play behind Wilson and drift wide (particularly to the left wing) to find space in between the lines. Its times like these that I bet Howe wished he had a left back who naturally provides the width. Burn massively contributes to the somewhat lopsidedness of our shape in attack. Although he's better in attack than he might appear for someone of his build.

Anyway, it's interesting as I think Howe will be forced to bring Isak into the starting XI in Bruno's absence because we simply don't have another midfield option in the squad. The other option is to bring in ASM and play a more natural 4-2-3-1. I don't mind that solution but I think Howe would prefer to start Isak, especially away from home.

It was an excellent game today. Chuffed that Howe went for it. It was a sign that he's perhaps accepted that we'll have to sacrifice defensive structure at times to break down teams that plan to sit in and defend against us when we're at home. First signs that Howe is prepared to shift to a Plan B if required and it worked a treat. 

• Like 4

I think he will persist with the system that brought us so much success but Longstaff will drop back to the number 6 role with Joelinton and Willock as the two 8s. Then he has a decision about whether to play maxi or Isak wide left. I suspect Isak will continue on the bench for now

Usually head straight home after the match however ended up in the Wonderbar for the first time.

What a strange, wonderful, bizarre place :lol: 

Walked in to ABBA on the big screen (so instantly hooked), followed by video compilations of every chant under the sun.

Cracking atmosphere mind.

19 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You’re going to be fuckin gutted when Chris Wood starts v Palace 😆

i wouldn't mind seeing wood get a go alongside isak art some point tbh - could be an option if we're chasing a game. he looks lost  playing up front on his own in a 4-3-3

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i wouldn't mind seeing wood get a go alongside isak art some point tbh - could be an option if we're chasing a game. he looks lost  playing up front on his own in a 4-3-3

Yeah I was going to say EH could’ve played Wood & Wilson in a two…. it’s out of fashion because of match ups in midfield…for that reason it’s difficult to see us starting with only 2 in midfield where most other teams have 3…

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah I was going to say EH could’ve played Wood & Wilson in a two…. it’s out of fashion because of match ups in midfield…for that reason it’s difficult to see us starting with only 2 in midfield where most other teams have 3…

yeah, i woudl see it as a plan b option towards the end of a game when you need a goal. it was interesting to see silva react to our attacking subs by putting on more defensive players yesterday. played into our hands

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If Miggy remains fit we basically have a 4-3-4 the way he pelts about

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

There are ways around that. Start with what looks like a 4-4-2 Wilson and Isak up front. Play Willock and Almiron on the flanks with Burn at LB. When we're in possession Willock and Burn can move more centrally and Trippier can push forward. Morphing into a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 (if Almiron pushes further forward too).

That way we can keep the match-ups in the centre, while having a solid base. 

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There are ways around that. Start with what looks like a 4-4-2 Wilson and Isak up front. Play Willock and Almiron on the flanks with Burn at LB. When we're in possession Willock and Burn can move more centrally and Trippier can push forward. Morphing into a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 (if Almiron pushes further forward too).

That way we can keep the match-ups in the centre, while having a solid base. 

We wouldn’t be matching up initially when not in possession if the opposition are playing a narrow 3 though…anyway, am a broken down old sparky and you….well, am not sure what it is you do Dave, maybe something to do with spreadsheets? 🤔 anyway, we don’t need to worry ourselves about all this tosh, leave to Eddie & Memphis to sort out 👍

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

We wouldn’t be matching up initially when not in possession if the opposition are playing a narrow 3 though…anyway, am a broken down old sparky and you….well, am not sure what it is you do Dave, maybe something to do with spreadsheets? 🤔 anyway, we don’t need to worry ourselves about all this tosh, leave to Eddie & Memphis to sort out 👍

Memphis better be your nickname for Tindall, I don't want Depay associated with Sir Howe.