Lewis Miley - He’s one of our own (Stanley)

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

Seemed to be paying with a lot more flair and freedom than usual because we were comfortable at the back. Signs of what he could do in the final third if somebody else was playing his defensive role just as well. Has cut out the occasional petulant moment as well which is great to see.

He's been too paggered to get into paggers. As soon as he's back to one game a week he'll be back to getting his stupid yellows.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Signs of what he could do in the final third if somebody else was playing his defensive role just as well. 

I agree, which makes it puzzling that we spent £60mil on Tonali, who isn't a CDM. I assume it was a "too good to turn down" moment, but an Edson Alvarez or similar would have made more sense and added balance to our midfield 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I agree, which makes it puzzling that we spent £60mil on Tonali, who isn't a CDM. I assume it was a "too good to turn down" moment, but an Edson Alvarez or similar would have made more sense and added balance to our midfield 

I think it might’ve been more about a move to a more possession based style of play going forward (and in Europe) with Tonali. Also, his availability - like you suggest. I do agree about a DM allowing Bruno to play further forward. But it’s like I’ve said before, ie as fans we’re more in the here and now. Whereas the club will have been thinking about Tonali being a part of the club’s midfield for the next 5+ years potentially 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Said it before, but I think Tonali was bought to recreate that link between forwards, fullbacks and other midfielders that we get from Bruno. Like Alex says, with two players who are press resistant and can make those line breaking passes, we can move to a more possession based system.

• Like 2

I think we saw enough from to Tonali to say that he can be an outstanding box to box midfielder even though he seems a different sort of player to Bruno. I thought he's more physical and definitely faster. Dare I say a mix of Bruno and Willock? 

Not sure if Eddie had figured out how to play them together or what our best system is when everyone is fit but we now know how invaluable having the different options would have been in the run in across all competitions. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

I think we saw enough from to Tonali to say that he can be an outstanding box to box midfielder even though he seems a different sort of player to Bruno. I thought he's more physical and definitely faster. Dare I say a mix of Bruno and Willock? 

Not sure if Eddie had figured out how to play them together or what our best system is when everyone is fit but we now know how invaluable having the different options would have been in the run in across all competitions. 

I honestly think the idea is that Tonali is Longstaff's replacement/improvement. They both have an aptitude for the defensive side, but both crop up in that pocket outside the box on the right hand side. They can both create from that position, can both drive with the ball or play it around. They're closer in style than Tonali is with Bruno or Joelinton or Willock. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I honestly think the idea is that Tonali is Longstaff's replacement/improvement. They both have an aptitude for the defensive side, but both crop up in that pocket outside the box on the right hand side. They can both create from that position, can both drive with the ball or play it around. They're closer in style than Tonali is with Bruno or Joelinton or Willock. 

Makes sense. He started ahead of Longstaff in the opening fixtures iirc. He wasn’t as effective but that’ll take time adjusting to the pace of the league etc 

• Like 2

I think Longstaff’s contribution is still a bit underrated like. Miley’s style of play is easier on the eye but I don’t think he’s usurped Longstaff yet, if everyone is fully fit. The other thing is that, while it’s great Miley has seized his opportunity, I don’t think starting as many consecutive games as he has is ideal for his development either. By that I mean coming from never having played to playing 90 mins twice a week. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Longstaff’s contribution is still a bit underrated like. Miley’s style of play is easier on the eye but I don’t think he’s usurped Longstaff yet, if everyone is fully fit. The other thing is that, while it’s great Miley has seized his opportunity, I don’t think starting as many consecutive games as he has is ideal for his development either. By that I mean coming from never having played to playing 90 mins twice a week. 

Miley doesn't have Longstaff's ability to disrupt the opposition imo. 

He does remind me of Scholes a bit in his ability to get the ball move it and move. Seems to have a fantastic football brain though

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Lineker was saying that he reminds him of Waddle in the way that he moves. Not the way he plays obviously but his gait and the way he has a slightly awkward running style. I can see what he means tbf. 

That is a very good comparison tbf.  

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Yeah. Longstaff is still ahead of him in the pecking order for me. Miley needs to learn to play away from home as well. 

In terms of style he reminds me a bit of Jenas when he first got in the team (not the Jenas with no balls). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Lineker was saying that he reminds him of Waddle in the way that he moves. Not the way he plays obviously but his gait and the way he has a slightly awkward running style. I can see what he means tbf. 

Has anyone asked him to say the word pelanty? That's the only true measure against Waddle

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Yeah I agree. I was thinking long term. Fair point on the load on Miley at the moment. Good thing is these days you'd expect our coaching team to be aware of this and making sure he's recovering as soon as he can. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Yeah I agree. I was thinking long term. Fair point on the load on Miley at the moment. Good thing is these days you'd expect our coaching team to be aware of this and making sure he's recovering as soon as he can. 

Aye, Howe has said that they’re making sure he goes down for his afternoon nap.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aye, Howe has said that they’re making sure he goes down for his afternoon nap.

I think after 30 minutes they get Dan Burn to lift him up and pat him on the back to get his wind up. :good:

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think after 30 minutes they get Dan Burn to lift him up and pat him on the back to get his wind up. :good:

Burn will like that - it'll give him something to care for and keep him busy after Ryan Fraser died of cot death.

• Haha 3

• Tom changed the title to Lewis Miley - He’s one of our own (Stanley)