Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

Maybe Bayern should have signed Joselu instead of Kane to keep winning trophies.

Neuer lost them the game but Kane should have made it 2-0 earlier.

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Ref/linesman fucked that up. Was a very tight offside call

Sure looks like it.

Hope Dortmund can win it. But knowing their luck and Real's, they wont. 

Just now, aimaad22 said:

Sure looks like it.

Can’t see Real being as stupid as PSG.

They needed Neuer to make a mistake but he already made a couple of very good saves earlier to keep Bayern in the game. Real were clearly the better team today and deserved to go through.

19 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Can’t see Real being as stupid as PSG.

They needed Neuer to make a mistake but he already made a couple of very good saves earlier to keep Bayern in the game. Real were clearly the better team today and deserved to go through.

PSG were the better team against us, but they didn't deserve a dodgy penalty any more than Real deserved a dodgy offside call

8 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Sure looks like it.

Fingers crossed. I distinctly remember the game the last time Dortmund won it. Juve had a team of superstars and Dortmund were given little chance then  too. In the end they thoroughly deserved their win. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

PSG were the better team against us, but they didn't deserve a dodgy penalty any more than Real deserved a dodgy offside call

The ref had blown the whistle as soon as the flag went up, if there was no flag it doesn’t mean the German Man Utd would have scored.

He was offside, wasn't he? Ludicrous that the linesman put his flag up but it's a load of controversy over nothing if the bloke was offside. 

I switched it off as soon as it finished, so if he was proven to actually be onside, I've missed it. 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

absolutely tremendous work by those lads that was, sets the standards that all football youtubers etc should be striving for.

adam pearson..... eat your heart out.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

He was offside, wasn't he? Ludicrous that the linesman put his flag up but it's a load of controversy over nothing if the bloke was offside. 

I switched it off as soon as it finished, so if he was proven to actually be onside, I've missed it. 

The Bayern player who touched the ball (Muller?) looked level. The offside player wasn't interfering with play so the game should have been played on and checked by VAR

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 2

The ball is also half way off the players foot in that frame. If they knock it back a frame I think he's definitely onside. The technology they use for offsides is ridiculously analogue. Pixelated pictures, hand drawn lines, picking and choosing which frame to go off.

Automate it and let the computer decide 

• Like 2

I think the frame thing will persist even with computers. There was an incident recently where they put the VAR audio up and the bloke on VAR was saying right, frame 1 or 2, and there was a canny difference between them both. But the camera only takes so many frames per seconds. 

You could ask the computer to take the two frames and attempt to interpolate the exact point at which foot hit ball, but then what do you do with the attacker/defender? You can't really do the same with both of them cos there isn't an object (foot) moving towards another object (ball). You've got different limbs moving in different directions and stuff. You need to take the frozen picture linked to the frame selected. 

Anyway, a very long winded way of saying that the camera frame thing is unavoidable, in which I got to impress you all by using the word interpolate. 

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think the frame thing will persist even with computers. There was an incident recently where they put the VAR audio up and the bloke on VAR was saying right, frame 1 or 2, and there was a canny difference between them both. But the camera only takes so many frames per seconds. 

You could ask the computer to take the two frames and attempt to interpolate the exact point at which foot hit ball, but then what do you do with the attacker/defender? You can't really do the same with both of them cos there isn't an object (foot) moving towards another object (ball). You've got different limbs moving in different directions and stuff. You need to take the frozen picture linked to the frame selected. 

Anyway, a very long winded way of saying that the camera frame thing is unavoidable, in which I got to impress you all by using the word interpolate. 

Software should be able to compute the speed of the player, the speed of the leg making the pass and be able to plot where the body would be between frames.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Software should be able to compute the speed of the player, the speed of the leg making the pass and be able to plot where the body would be between frames.

I said that in my post about foot to ball. It can't predict player movement though. 

No it doesn't. There are multiple points on the body that can be offside. It has to interpolate a position for ALL of them across multiple players, and then determine which is furthest forward at the point of contact. 

Which is why it's not fucking happening. 

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Give the advantage to the attacker. It’s that simple.

Offside only when the player's full body is in front of the defender? Like the ball crossing over the line rule? Should be easier to automate too.

48 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Give the advantage to the attacker. It’s that simple.

This ☝️

They have umpires call in cricket to account for the fact the technology isn't 100%, if it's so close you need to draw lines should be onside.