Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

nee fucking way is materazzi getting in ahead of baressi or nesta 

In the past 40 years they’ve probably had about 10 better than him. Baresi was arguably the greatest CB ever. Nesta was definitely better too. Scirea as well. I’d pick Vierchowod over him and Costacurta was definitely better. Albertini in midfield too. Did they need a YouTube reel with a shite soundtrack to be considered? 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think they’ve done that on purpose to err “promote debate” 😉

About what? How fucking clueless the people compiling it were? 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

In the past 40 years they’ve probably had about 10 better than him. Baresi was arguably the greatest CB ever. Nesta was definitely better too. Scirea as well. I’d pick Vierchowod over him and Costacurta was definitely better. Albertini in midfield too. Did they need a YouTube reel with a shite soundtrack to be considered? 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

About what? How fucking clueless the people compiling it were? 

Agreed on all points :lol: 

I’ve reproduced it here to relieve you the indignity of interacting with it on X and thus giving them what they want 🤗

I actually think we’ve moved on from “FOOTBALL WASNT INVENTED IN 1992 YOU KNOW” by at least 15 years. Yes, that’s how fuckin old we are :lol: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hwere the fuck is Pistone in that list? :whistling:

Taking up no. 2 on the NUFC list (just behind Cacapa) 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Tall gangly left back, prone to being done by pacy wingers you say? 🤔

Ashton Kutcher Burn GIF

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Bastard!

Where's Del Piero on that list?

Wasn't Maldini a LCB and not a LB for most of his career?

No, it was the other way round. He finished up playing as a CB but played the vast majority of his games as a (right-footed) LB. He was predictably brilliant in the middle too though. There is some ridiculous stat where him and Baresi played there together about 150 times in serie a and Milan conceded 25 goals (or something like that). However it makes a good point, that while he was more celebrated as a full back he’d easily get ahead of Twaterazzi (TM Isegrim) in the middle too. You could say similar about Bergomi too. Who should probably make the team as a RB (if we’re talking about in my lifetime) but would be another better CB than the aforementioned Twat 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, sammynb said:

@Howmanheyman Ciaomanheyman, thoughts on this bullshite?

I think Italy must've been seriously shit until the 90s barring Paulo Rossi and this kid from his social media account has nailed it. :lol: 

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Del Piero was mine too

Del Piero was never the same post injury but still a great player. Totti I suppose is fair enough for his longevity and the amount he scored. Again we’re talking ‘modern era’ though. But if we’re on about just my lifetime again (and playing that formation) I’d have Baggio in the ‘Trequartista’ role with peak Vieri and Rossi upfront. Donadoni was a class player too on the wing. The likes of Riva and Rivera were a bit before my time ;) 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think Italy must've been seriously shit until the 90s barring Paulo Rossi and this kid from his social media account has nailed it. :lol: 

The 1970 runners-up and 1982 WC Champions enter the chat.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Del Piero was never the same post injury but still a great player. Totti I suppose is fair enough for his longevity and the amount he scored. Again we’re talking ‘modern era’ though. But if we’re on about just my lifetime again (and playing that formation) I’d have Baggio in the ‘Trequartista’ role with peak Vieri and Rossi upfront. Donadoni was a class player two on the wing. The likes of Riva and Rivera were a bit before my time ;) 

You can't have Vieri, he's Australian! 😉 

Considering how bad Del Piero's injuries were, a bit like Shearer, the fact he still went on to play so many games and score so many goals is incredible.

• Like 3

I hate these things when it's NUFC never mind anyone else. Not saying he should be on there at all but I loved Schillaci, Ravanelli was more than decent, vieri is a good shout. Di Livio was quality as was Conte. Nesta should be a shout, Materazzi can fuck off if only for his antics v us. Gentile could see this and deal with the errant youngster appropriately. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I hate these things when it's NUFC never mind anyone else. Not saying he should be on there at all but I loved Schillaci, Ravanelli was more than decent, vieri is a good shout. Di Livio was quality as was Conte. Nesta should be a shout, Materazzi can fuck off if only for his antics v us. Gentile could see this and deal with the errant youngster appropriately. 

Vialli and Ravenelli were a great partnership 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sammynb said:

The 1970 runners-up and 1982 WC Champions enter the chat.

I was being sarcastic. :lol: It's not as if they weren't successful in the past is it? Winning WCs , being runners up and innovative, (not always in a good way) throughout history. As Alex says, hard to speak about the likes of Riva as I've never saw them. Bill McCracken virtually changed the defensive game in this country, we had our most successful period when he was here yet how many NUFC fans would put him in a greatest eleven? I never get vexed by shite like this tbh, I can be indecisive as it is without putting myself through a pointless waste of time. :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, sammynb said:

You can't have Vieri, he's Australian! 😉 

Considering how bad Del Piero's injuries were, a bit like Shearer, the fact he still went on to play so many games and score so many goals is incredible.

I’m sure I didn’t imagine this but didn’t Vieri speak English with an Aussie accent (for obvious reasons) only to later transition to speaking English with an Italian accent? :lol: 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2