Selling a big name

Kid Dynamite

Who would you sell to raise transfer funds?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Trent was part of their youth set-up wasn’t he? 
Anyway, re the spurs thing and cash injection, didn’t we already do that with the issuing of a single share? I can’t quite remember the details but you’re able to do that, up to certain limit within a certain timescale. I think that’s 3 years, which I also think ties in with FFP, which is a rolling 3 year thing iirc. I don’t think we’ve reached our limit, so could feasibly do it again. And that’s without impacting FFP. No doubt someone will put me right if I’m talking shite (wouldn’t be the first time), but that’s my vague understanding 

Yeah we've done it a few times since the takeover. There's obviously a limit to how much can be put in this way, hence why they didn't immediately stick in £1bn but you're right that it's a lever we've already pulled.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I have suspicions the whole Saudi league loan business (started by Ashworth's comments) and the PL quick rule change attempt, was part of a building a case exercise.

I think there's been at least two examples including yours above - the other was inter-related company sponsorship. I think someone at the club was posed the question in an interview and said we wouldn't rule it out but it wasn't all we'd look at. Within days an emergency meeting is held with the PL clubs to vote on blocking inter-related party transactions.

It does seem a little intentional on our part IMO, like firing a shot over the trenches to see where the flashes of return fire come from. Hopefully, it's the club building a case to take the PL and it's members to court with receipts showing every attempt to be anti-competitive to prevent our growth.

• Like 2

I don't think we would get that much for Wilson. 

Yes he is a great finisher but his injury record and age are not going to bring us squad-changing amounts of cash.  

And this would leave us with one striker, when it is clear we need 3 minimum.  

• Like 2

Pope

Sell him and buy Englands No. 1 on a 8yr contract. 

f7f0bceb56b805d9432067c5e0befc99.jpg

Then immediately buy Pope back (fuck FFP) and hoy T-Rex in the reserves… don’t even give the little cunt a squad number. :lol:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Pope

Sell him and buy Englands No. 1 on a 8yr contract. 

f7f0bceb56b805d9432067c5e0befc99.jpg

Then immediately buy Pope back (fuck FFP) and hoy T-Rex in the reserves… don’t even give the little cunt a squad number. :lol:

Aah I call that pulling the ole' Ryan Fraser (who despite having dwarfism, still has longer arms than Pickford).

• Haha 3

What I took from Eales' interview is that to compete with the very best we have to give ourselves more room to manoeuvre. Which means we need to sell someone for big dollar bucks. Over a decade of negligence means we haven't the squad depth to sell our 3rd choice midfielder for £80m or whatever. Our most valuable assets have value and if that valuation is met, we'll sell. Just like every single club on the planet. Be they Runcorn or Real Madrid. It's a business after all, and sometimes you have to be ruthless. Villa used the Grealish sale to build a deeper squad, Spurs did it with the Bale money, Liverpool with the Coutinho money too. Man Utd did it with Beckham, Lukaku and Ronaldo. I don't think that means we're actively trying to offload our stars, just that everyone has a price.

If someone came in with £120m for Bruno (say) we'd be mad not to take it. He's class and I love him and I don't want him to go, but with FFP the way it is, the only way to gain footing in the elite is by inflating the club's revenue. Ideally we'd sell Longstaff for big sums, as he represents pure FFP profit. Had we been more fortunate with injuries (just seen Joelinton is out for 6 weeks(!)) we could have probably demanded large fees for players operating more on the fringe. Longstaff, Willock, Targett, etc. But as it stands the only players we have that would be attracting significant interest are players we ideally wouldn't be selling.

All that said, I'd sell Willock.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 3

Before this season I'd have said Bruno was our biggest difference maker, but I now think it's Joelinton.

I noticed Bruno's missus up the stick again too, so we have Teletubbies on the pitch pre-match on the horizon. Time to nudge elbows with his release clause.

20 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

I noticed Bruno's missus up the stick again too, so we have Teletubbies on the pitch pre-match on the horizon. Time to nudge elbows with his release clause.

8c40sg.jpg.6c0840cfe2c07f78e54614b0cdb32d25.jpg

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

What I took from Eales' interview is that to compete with the very best we have to give ourselves more room to manoeuvre. Which means we need to sell someone for big dollar bucks. Over a decade of negligence means we haven't the squad depth to sell our 3rd choice midfielder for £80m or whatever. Our most valuable assets have value and if that valuation is met, we'll sell. Just like every single club on the planet. Be they Runcorn or Real Madrid. It's a business after all, and sometimes you have to be ruthless. Villa used the Grealish sale to build a deeper squad, Spurs did it with the Bale money, Liverpool with the Coutinho money too. Man Utd did it with Beckham, Lukaku and Ronaldo. I don't think that means we're actively trying to offload our stars, just that everyone has a price.

If someone came in with £120m for Bruno (say) we'd be mad not to take it. He's class and I love him and I don't want him to go, but with FFP the way it is, the only way to gain footing in the elite is by inflating the club's revenue. Ideally we'd sell Longstaff for big sums, as he represents pure FFP profit. Had we been more fortunate with injuries (just seen Joelinton is out for 6 weeks(!)) we could have probably demanded large fees for players operating more on the fringe. Longstaff, Willock, Targett, etc. But as it stands the only players we have that would be attracting significant interest are players we ideally wouldn't be selling.

Happy Fun GIF by ABC Network

Nailed it and articulate as always.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Man City were lucky in this respect.  We had to move really quickly as the establishment used FFP to pull up the drawbridge. We scrambled over just in time.  

Top tip, we make a fortune via our academy. It might be a long game, but it pays off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Man City were lucky in this respect.  We had to move really quickly as the establishment used FFP to pull up the drawbridge. We scrambled over just in time.  

Top tip, we make a fortune via our academy. It might be a long game, but it pays off.

This is something we really need to accelerate. Right now, the fury that would follow selling Lewis Miley would be a sight to see, but we should aim to have 2-3 Mileys coming through a year. Sell 'em to fund everything else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This is something we really need to accelerate. Right now, the fury that would follow selling Lewis Miley would be a sight to see, but we should aim to have 2-3 Mileys coming through a year. Sell 'em to fund everything else.

Under Pep alone ....

£440million Man City have made from selling academy graduates under Pep Guardiola

Cole Palmer – Chelsea – £42.5m
Kelechi Iheanacho – Leicester – £25m
Romeo Lavia – Southampton – £22.5m
Brahim Diaz – Real Madrid – £22m
Angelino – RB Leipzig – £21.3m
Jadon Sancho – Borussia Dortmund (plus Man Utd sell-on fee) – £21.2m
James Trafford – Burnley – £19m
Pedro Porro – Sporting Lisbon (plus Tottenham sell-on fee) – £17.4m
Carlos Borges – Ajax – £17.2m
Douglas Luiz – Aston Villa – £15m
Gavin Bazunu – Southampton – £15m
Shea Charles – Southampton – £15m
Angus Gunn – Southampton – £13.5m
Enes Unal – Villarreal – £12m
Lukas Nmecha – Wolfsburg – £11.1m
Jack Harrison – Leeds United – £11m
Rabbi Matondo – Schalke – £10.25m
Aaron Mooy – Huddersfield – £10m
Samuel Udozie – Southampton – £10m
Uriel Antuna – Chivas – £10m
Felix Correira – Juventus – £9.5m
Ivan Ilic – Hellas Verona – £9.5m
Jason Denayer – Lyon – £9m
Pablo Maffeo – Stuttgart – £8.8m
Juan Larios – Southampton – £6m
Darko Gyabi – Leeds United – £5m
Ko Itakura – Borussia Monchengladbach – £5m
Oliver Ntcham – Celtic – £4.5m
Geronimo Rulli – Real Sociedad – £4.00m
Seko Fofana – Udinese – £3.8m
Manu Garcia – Sporting Gijon – £3.6m
Aro Muric – Burnley – £3m
Bersant Celina – Swansea – £3m
Joshua Kayode – Shakhtar Donetsk – £3m
Patrick Roberts – Sunderland – £3m
Taylor Richards – Brighton & Hove Albion – £2.5m
Benjamin Garre – Racing Club – £2m
Tosin Adarabioyo – Fulham – £2m
Thierry Ambrose – Metz – £1.8m
Ruben Sobrino – Alaves – £1.75m
Dire Mebude – Westerlo – £1.65m
Pablo Mari – Flamengo – £1.3m
CJ Egan-Riley – Burnley – £1m
Jeremy Frimpong – Celtic – £1m
Charlie McNeill – Man Utd – £750,000
Terence Kongolo – Hereenveen – £750,000
Tyler Fletcher – Man Utd – £630,000
Luca Barrington – Brighton – £500,000
Harvey Griffiths – Wolves – £350,000

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Under Pep alone ....

£440million Man City have made from selling academy graduates under Pep Guardiola

Cole Palmer – Chelsea – £42.5m
Kelechi Iheanacho – Leicester – £25m
Romeo Lavia – Southampton – £22.5m
Brahim Diaz – Real Madrid – £22m
Angelino – RB Leipzig – £21.3m
Jadon Sancho – Borussia Dortmund (plus Man Utd sell-on fee) – £21.2m
James Trafford – Burnley – £19m
Pedro Porro – Sporting Lisbon (plus Tottenham sell-on fee) – £17.4m
Carlos Borges – Ajax – £17.2m
Douglas Luiz – Aston Villa – £15m
Gavin Bazunu – Southampton – £15m
Shea Charles – Southampton – £15m
Angus Gunn – Southampton – £13.5m
Enes Unal – Villarreal – £12m
Lukas Nmecha – Wolfsburg – £11.1m
Jack Harrison – Leeds United – £11m
Rabbi Matondo – Schalke – £10.25m
Aaron Mooy – Huddersfield – £10m
Samuel Udozie – Southampton – £10m
Uriel Antuna – Chivas – £10m
Felix Correira – Juventus – £9.5m
Ivan Ilic – Hellas Verona – £9.5m
Jason Denayer – Lyon – £9m
Pablo Maffeo – Stuttgart – £8.8m
Juan Larios – Southampton – £6m
Darko Gyabi – Leeds United – £5m
Ko Itakura – Borussia Monchengladbach – £5m
Oliver Ntcham – Celtic – £4.5m
Geronimo Rulli – Real Sociedad – £4.00m
Seko Fofana – Udinese – £3.8m
Manu Garcia – Sporting Gijon – £3.6m
Aro Muric – Burnley – £3m
Bersant Celina – Swansea – £3m
Joshua Kayode – Shakhtar Donetsk – £3m
Patrick Roberts – Sunderland – £3m
Taylor Richards – Brighton & Hove Albion – £2.5m
Benjamin Garre – Racing Club – £2m
Tosin Adarabioyo – Fulham – £2m
Thierry Ambrose – Metz – £1.8m
Ruben Sobrino – Alaves – £1.75m
Dire Mebude – Westerlo – £1.65m
Pablo Mari – Flamengo – £1.3m
CJ Egan-Riley – Burnley – £1m
Jeremy Frimpong – Celtic – £1m
Charlie McNeill – Man Utd – £750,000
Terence Kongolo – Hereenveen – £750,000
Tyler Fletcher – Man Utd – £630,000
Luca Barrington – Brighton – £500,000
Harvey Griffiths – Wolves – £350,000

Be curious to see the dates of those transfers as well. I ask because I'm assuming there is a correlation between the regard that Man City was held in because of their league dominance and the fees they could demand for their youngsters. Same happened with Man Utd. 

I mean we've gotten rid of that many youngsters, but most of them have gone to league 2 on a free and the one we could have made a decent wedge on at one point in Matty Longstaff to Udinese ended up getting injured and being shite.

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Be curious to see the dates of those transfers as well. I ask because I'm assuming there is a correlation between the regard that Man City was held in because of their league dominance and the fees they could demand for their youngsters. Same happened with Man Utd. 

Always happens. I remember us selling Kevin Scott to Spurs £850k, which was definitely £849k more than he was worth...

They even gave us £4.5m for Ruel Fox

Them was the days

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ackas said:

Always happens. I remember us selling Kevin Scott to Spurs £850k, which was definitely £849k more than he was worth...

They even gave us £4.5m for Ruel Fox

Them was the days

Gave us ~£30m for Sissoko as well.

1 hour ago, LondonBlue said:

image.gif.3ee40dc0556f275cc90342f7b56b6fb7.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

took a look but couldn't see a match day thread for Saturday

Scared Fear GIF by South Park