Play Mobile Heed’s Hembarrassing and Deesgraceful Fam vs. Steady Eddie’s Crumbling Cripples.

Monkeys Fist

27 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You could easily go to a 5 at the back with Schar stepping forward into a deep-lying role when we’re attacking which could still free Bruno up to progress forward. It’s probably not as free flowing and you may not create as many chances but we have to stop leaking so many goals 

I acknowledge Howe can change formation but there's been no other options for the midfield 3 for weeks if not months. 

I don't disagree we need to stop conceding. 

Edited by RobinRobin

No use calling anyone in particular out, they all had below average games, except for wor Lorius, who you cannot fault even though he had to pick the ball out of the net four times.

Good to see little Joe back on the pitch, was the other positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You could easily go to a 5 at the back with Schar stepping forward into a deep-lying role when we’re attacking which could still free Bruno up to progress forward. It’s probably not as free flowing and you may not create as many chances but we have to stop leaking so many goals 

I am not convinced that Schar or Lacelles are able to play this role. If they could, why wouldn't we have tried this out rather than playing Miley every single game?

• Like 1

Looks like Kinnear was right after all. What happened to Bird? He is full of shit stirring these days.

There have been very disappointing performances and results this seasons, especially against twice against Luton and Bournemouth,Nottingham at home especially.

But losing against a team that gave their neighbours a tonking at their place just a week ago is hardly relegation fotm stuff.

We had sone very good performances and results this season too, even in the last couple of months. We would still be solidly challenging for Europe if it hadn’t been for some horrible luck with freak injuries and out major midfield signing booking tables at Weatherspoons and running to the bookies.

IMG_0797.jpeg

• Like 1

We dropped 16 points against the likes of Luton, Everton et al. Add to it the five points we stupidly dropped against Liverpool and West Ham early in the season.

Even if we had only gained half the points we missed out in the games then we would actually compete for the champions league again.

Some people really should get a grasp of perspective.

We did also look good in the CL, rather unfortunately went out of the league cup and are still in the FA cup.

• Like 1

What worries me is that we still look tired. Our pressing was non-existent for large parts and some of the passing and decision making was shambolic. That Arsenal side have played as many, if not more, games than us this season and were in action mid-week but looked so much fresher and up for it than our lot.

The first half of the game was the worst that I have seen us play for a long time. 

The way Arsenal cut through us was similar to what happened to us in the Champions League but in those games we were able to offer something back. 

I don't think the tiredness is just a physical aspect, it has a mental drain that then plays a factor on the physical. 

This is our first year playing the volume of games that we have faced. Arsenal have a squad (players and supporting staff) that has be built for this purpose and have numerous years doing this. 

I am glad that we had Champions League this year and I don't think we are going to suffer from it long term. 

I am not sure if it would be better to get Europa League and have the same volume of games for experience or not. 

The big issue is the cycle of FFP that means the longer it takes us to compete at the top 4 regularly the harder it is to do it. 

We can beat Arsenal, or any team, on our day and I don't think it will take us too long to get all the parts in the right place. 

Man U (who are doing better than it feela they should) and Chelsea show how bad a team perform when the structure at the very top is not correct. I feel we have that part right and that it will/ is transferring to the squad. 

I love Miggy, Murphy, Miley, Burn, Longstaff but they are nowhere near Top 4 players. This is obviously for various different reasons for each player.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Btw, someone else’s turn to start the next thread. 

Time waits for no man, or woman, get cracking. 

Ooooh, transphobic. 

image.png.746394403e6bf50734f8800b7fe47c34.png

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Hopefully Willock can start soon with Miley and Anderson used as a fresh pair of legs. 

With Miley and Longstaff  both in midfield its probably about Championship level.

They're better than championship quality it's the fact that they're both being played together. I'd love to see Miley play alongside Bruno and Joelinton, I think it would really help his development.

7 minutes ago, OTF said:

They're better than championship quality it's the fact that they're both being played together. I'd love to see Miley play alongside Bruno and Joelinton, I think it would really help his development.

Yeah. I meant when they both play together the whole midfield is not good enough.

• Like 1

I know we all laugh at the mackems when any dominant performance by us is down to the other team being shit but I think there's an element in that to the doom and gloom reactions to how we played. I'm not saying it was acceptable how much they dominated but it's not a one-off - they are in excellent form and were fucking brilliant in that first half. 

Edited by NJS
  • Like 1

Whenever we get beat the doom and gloom merchants come out. Often mid game as well.

We gave everyone a game last year. Now, we have rolled over and had our belly tickled numerous times this season. We’ve been very easy to beat at times but  It’s obvious to anyone that watches football our current midfield doesnt have the  quality to protect the defence and retain the ball. This will all change of course when you add Tonali, Little Joe and Big Joe next season. 

I didn't see any of the game yesterday as I was out. Surprised to see Dubs and Burn out of the starting 11.  I was never confident of getting anything from the game so its meh for me.  Positive is Willcok is back and we press on now hopefully.

11 hours ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I am not convinced that Schar or Lacelles are able to play this role. If they could, why wouldn't we have tried this out rather than playing Miley every single game?

It’s not a case of them being able to play the role, this is strictly when you have possession of the ball. England did it for years with Maguire stepping into midfield when teams were sitting deep to be that extra midfielder. And if Schar does venture onward, you have Burn, Botman and Livramento to tuck in and cover. It’s obvious that Bruno has to be further forward at the moment and it’s the kind of subtle tweak that can facilitate that. We can’t keep being this gung ho, even if Howe’s philosophy sees things that way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It’s not a case of them being able to play the role, this is strictly when you have possession of the ball. England did it for years with Maguire stepping into midfield when teams were sitting deep to be that extra midfielder. And if Schar does venture onward, you have Burn, Botman and Livramento to tuck in and cover. It’s obvious that Bruno has to be further forward at the moment and it’s the kind of subtle tweak that can facilitate that. We can’t keep being this gung ho, even if Howe’s philosophy sees things that way

I understand the principle behind what you are saying and I said something very similar, around the first 4 pages of this thread, that I thought Schar or Lascelles should play this way/ this role.

My point is that there must be a reason why Howe is not doing this. 

He has done everything to not play Tino, Hall or Anderson yet he has been forced to play Miley every game for goodness knows how long. I don't think he has wanted to do this.

I think if Schar or Lascelles, or anyone else could play this way of being able to switch between defence and midfield,  the way Maguire has (and well) then I think that would have been Howe's preferred option.

He has stuck with both Trippier and Burn when it felt more obvious to play Hall or Tino. I really think that the players we have cannot play this switch of positions or it would have been done. 

I don't understand why it wouldn't work as Schar seems more than keen to push on into midfield, at times. Maybe Lascelles less so as his passing can be questionable.