Eddie’s late thread lackeys v de Zerbi’s beach bums

My take on the Miggy situation was that he was expecting contact and reacted accordingly. There was no contact and it ended up being a dive. If there was contact, we would have loved him for it. Bruno did the same to get a free kick about 5-10 mins later and there was contact, he went flying and there was a yellow card. It is frustrating that he misread the situation as he was better to run onto the ball. 

I like the work ethic of Miggy but, I think both him and Murphy are not the standard of RW we want to start games and I think, although Miggy has more potential, Murphy is able to offer us more.

When Miggy went on his run last year, I though Howe had managed to help him not only become more composed infront of goal, but also read the game better. I don't think that now though which is a shame. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

My take on the Miggy situation was that he was expecting contact and reacted accordingly. There was no contact and it ended up being a dive. If there was contact, we would have loved him for it. Bruno did the same to get a free kick about 5-10 mins later and there was contact, he went flying and there was a yellow card. It is frustrating that he misread the situation as he was better to run onto the ball. 

In a sense you're not entirely wrong, but these were at opposite ends of the pitch, Miggy was through on goal, Bruno was bringing it out from our box. Any half decent defender is going to avoid contact in the box, they don't when they're outside the box and looking to stop a potential counter attack. Context is key.

There was a period where Miggy stopped going to ground easily and suddenly he started scoring more and generally being a more productive player but after this time out through injury he's reverted to his old tricks. 95% of players don't have the pace to have got to the ball like he did, and that's why he's so damn frustrating, gets into dangerous positions and then wastes it with a silly decision.

• Like 2

I actually think both general takes on Miggy's performance yesterday make sense. He brought some good energy down the right when he came on, looked dangerous, created opportunities. And he wasted two massive chances by (a) failing to stay onside with a view across the entire defensive line in front of him to judge his position*, and (b) took a shocking dive when, if he stays on his feet, he's in behind.

I hope Miggy can have a couple of good performances in the next two games. I also don't particularly want him to leave in the summer. But I think it's probably odds on that he will. I like Miggy. But he has his limitations. And he's a saleable asset in a position in the squad that has an adequate backup already in Murphy, but definitely requires upgrading with a quality signing similar to Gordon's level. So Miggy is probably first cab off the rank to be sold. 

*Granted Barnes should've released the pass earlier but even still I think Miggy could've and should've stayed onside. And a better/smarter player would've done so.

• Like 2

EVERY NUFC fan in the world knows he needs an upgrade. His finishing lets him down severely which is a shame.  The purple patch last season clearly isn't permanent but he gives absolutely everything out on the pitch.  Eddie and the club clearly understands this which is why I expect him to leave in the Summer. I've got nothing bad to say about him. 

• Like 3

I think KD made the point about Jacob Murphy’s versatility, which I think makes him a more valuable squad player than Miggy. Although I think half decent bids for either / both sees them leave. We knew when the takeover happened there were a few who wouldn’t be around too long. It’s massive credit to the likes of Almiron and Murphy how much they’ve been involved, given the demands made by the manager. Whatever their limitations they both give absolutely everything 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think KD made the point about Jacob Murphy’s versatility, which I think makes him a more valuable squad player than Miggy. Although I think half decent bids for either / both sees them leave. We knew when the takeover happened there were a few who wouldn’t be around too long. It’s massive credit to the likes of Almiron and Murphy how much they’ve been involved, given the demands made by the manager. Whatever their limitations they both give absolutely everything 

Aye, id sell both in the summer if we had decent bids.

You could argue Almiron can cover RW/LW/LCM/CF as well, although he doesn't play well in most of those positions (Murphy equally struggles at LW and CF in response to KDs post).

• Like 3

Due to financial restrictions next year and possibly year after I can see players hanging around longer. That's the nature of the beast. 

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s hard not to like both players for that reason. Both bust a gut and are great on their day. And you’re right that they’ve both done well to still be involved at this stage. I imagine either player could secure a move to a decent club across Europe or even in the PL and both will go with best wishes. Miggy will always have last season to look back on, where he was bloody brilliant. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

It’s same Longstaff / Miggy / Burn axis of hate. When they get upgraded I wonder who’ll be next in line. 

this is a fair point. There will always be a scapegoat when we underperform. Fans naturally will debate who was to blame for a disappointing performance/result. The players you mention are our most limited and are the obvious targets for that reason. If they’re moved on, Krafth, Lascelles - and maybe Barnes if he puts in too many more performances like yesterday again - might be next  

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

this is a fair point. There will always be a scapegoat when we underperform. Fans naturally will debate who was to blame for a disappointing performance/result. The players you mention are our most limited and are the obvious targets for that reason. If they’re moved on, Krafth, Lascelles - and maybe Barnes if he puts in too many more performances like yesterday again - might be next  

Funny enough Burn looks solid as a rock since moving to his correct position. Anderson needs to up his game (I think he can go up a level or 2 but he needs to show it) or he could fall into this category next season.

49 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Funny enough Burn looks solid as a rock since moving to his correct position. Anderson needs to up his game (I think he can go up a level or 2 but he needs to show it) or he could fall into this category next season.

lad needs a goal. He’s got a bit about him. He’s raw. Kind of feel like he’s playing within himself because he’s scared of making a mistake but there were a couple of moments yesterday when he took on and beat his man. I’d like to see him do that more 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, BobHopeandNoHope said:

To all of the cunts who have fucked off home or to the pub or to beat the rush and not clap the lads around the pitch…tell you what…fuck off and don’t come back.  Wankers. It boils my fuckin piss! 

I mean basically, fuck off like. I didn't stay for childcare reasons. But also honestly, fair play to our multimillionare players and Howe doing their best at their day job the rest of us can only dream of, but no fucking way am I applauding the likes of al-Rumayyan, Ghodoussi, Staveley the Reubens etc walking around the pitch. Not a fan of doffing my cap to people like this personally, as soon as their presence was announced I was off. 

I'll attend when I want to and when I can afford to if that's alright, and show my appreciation how I like instead of some forced bollocks. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BobHopeandNoHope said:

To all of the cunts who have fucked off home or to the pub or to beat the rush and not clap the lads around the pitch…tell you what…fuck off and don’t come back.  Wankers. It boils my fuckin piss! 

I left at half time.  Couldn’t be arsed. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I left at half time.  Couldn’t be arsed. 

stevie - is that you?

• Haha 8

18 hours ago, OTF said:

In a sense you're not entirely wrong, but these were at opposite ends of the pitch, Miggy was through on goal, Bruno was bringing it out from our box. Any half decent defender is going to avoid contact in the box, they don't when they're outside the box and looking to stop a potential counter attack. Context is key.

There was a period where Miggy stopped going to ground easily and suddenly he started scoring more and generally being a more productive player but after this time out through injury he's reverted to his old tricks. 95% of players don't have the pace to have got to the ball like he did, and that's why he's so damn frustrating, gets into dangerous positions and then wastes it with a silly decision.

Yeah, that was the point that I was trying to make later, in my post about Howe helping him to read the game better. What Bruno did, made sense for the reasons that you put and what Miggy did, does not make sense for the reasons you put.

I thought he was starting to pick up on the subtle differences that are easier to watch in a game than they are when playing but he has reverted back.

I think the issue with some of the performances is that with Tino, it may not have been his best game, with Barnes he may have wasted a couple but they are quality. With Miggy he has heart but he doesn't seem to be able to use his head. 

I love Miggy, I also love the fact he will harras defenders and also get the ball back on the edge of their box. 

It is a bit like Dubs where he will play well for vast spells of a game and make some incredible stops but will let on a weak goal.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Renton said:

I mean basically, fuck off like. I didn't stay for childcare reasons. But also honestly, fair play to our multimillionare players and Howe doing their best at their day job the rest of us can only dream of, but no fucking way am I applauding the likes of al-Rumayyan, Ghodoussi, Staveley the Reubens etc walking around the pitch. Not a fan of doffing my cap to people like this personally, as soon as their presence was announced I was off. 

I'll attend when I want to and when I can afford to if that's alright, and show my appreciation how I like instead of some forced bollocks. 

Fair enough, personally I’m happy to give the players and Howe etc an applause of appreciation for, if nothing else, giving most of us something to smile about and a bit hope. As for the owners, same goes, for getting that useless piece of shit out of the club eventually, and showing a smidgeon of ambition. Their earnings are irrelevant to me, just as bands etc I go and see and also applaud out of appreciation for making me feel good. But like someone once said, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Renton said:

Crikey, Renton's on his rags, tread carefully gents.

5 hours ago, BobHopeandNoHope said:

Did you need to curl one out on a coffee table? 🤔

No this time I went home to put something up my arsehole instead of letting something come out of it. 

Almiron is useful, and that's kind of the problem. He's fast but doesn't time his runs brilliantly, he's decent technically but not great, he can finish but doesn't do it consistently, he harasses opponents well and is busy. But all of that while useful, isn't enough for a team with lofty ambitions. Longstaff, Burn, Krafth, Lascelles, Dubravka, Murphy, Targett are all in the same bracket, for me.

That said, I love him, even if he does look like a kid who's never had a bedtime, but if some Saudi club flashes £25-30m for him we should sell. The frustration for me is that while Barnes and Gordon can play on the right, neither are at their most effective there. Minteh looks good, but it's the Dutch league so who knows? 

I don't think Almiron is the reason we drew the game, the whole attacking unit were off their game and he at least injected some impetus.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Almiron is useful, and that's kind of the problem. He's fast but doesn't time his runs brilliantly, he's decent technically but not great, he can finish but doesn't do it consistently, he harasses opponents well and is busy. But all of that while useful, isn't enough for a team with lofty ambitions. Longstaff, Burn, Krafth, Lascelles, Dubravka, Murphy, Targett are all in the same bracket, for me.

That said, I love him, even if he does look like a kid who's never had a bedtime, but if some Saudi club flashes £25-30m for him we should sell. The frustration for me is that while Barnes and Gordon can play on the right, neither are at their most effective there. Minteh looks good, but it's the Dutch league so who knows? 

I don't think Almiron is the reason we drew the game, the whole attacking unit were off their game and he at least injected some impetus.

agree with most of what you have to say but that offside was unforgivable. he's a professional footballer, looking right up the defensive line. he just needs to delay his run or bend it and he's in to give gordon a tap in. he's got the pace, he doesn't need to go early. it's sunday league stuff tbh 

i won't mind if miggy stays on as a squad player because he will be useful in some games but i suspect his time is up. shame he couldn't kick on after last season but he's someone we could still get a few quid for. 

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Crikey, Renton's on his rags, tread carefully gents.

I just find this type judgmental attitude irritating, mackem like behaviour. No body is a better person because they choose to stay behind and happy clap the team which for some reason includes the owners. Saturday was a bit of a dam squid (sic) in any case. Stay if you want, go if you want, or, like most people on here, don't go at all is my opinion. Just don't judge other people about it. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

agree with most of what you have to say but that offside was unforgivable. he's a professional footballer, looking right up the defensive line. he just needs to delay his run or bend it and he's in to give gordon a tap in. he's got the pace, he doesn't need to go early. it's sunday league stuff tbh 

He was entitled to expect Barnes to play that pass sooner. Even a second earlier would've been fine. Barnes missed a sitter as well. Both should have done better.