General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Just now, Alex said:

This country has a fucking terrible relationship with alcohol like. I’m not really sure how you fix it either. In real terms it must be cheaper and more available now than at any point in my life. I was in the supermarket the other day. With Father’s Day coming up I usually get my dad a few beers amongst other things. He doesn’t really drink much but likes the occasional ale. But I noticed you could get 12 cans of (not even shit but decent lager) for £10. That’s ridiculous really. Then when you look at the proper plonks stuff like supermarket vodka and then the stuff like Sourz and Blue Wkd (which I didn’t even know you could still get) aimed at the teen drinker. And it’s so fucking cheap, man. 

I would hike tax up on booze in super markets.  Take the tax down in boozers and restaurants and bring back more sensible opening hours.  I.e not all this day fucking shite and close on a period on a Sunday. But that's against capitalism init?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

This country has a fucking terrible relationship with alcohol like. I’m not really sure how you fix it either. In real terms it must be cheaper and more available now than at any point in my life. I was in the supermarket the other day. With Father’s Day coming up I usually get my dad a few beers amongst other things. He doesn’t really drink much but likes the occasional ale. But I noticed you could get 12 cans of (not even shit but decent lager) for £10. That’s ridiculous really. Then when you look at the proper plonks stuff like supermarket vodka and then the stuff like Sourz and Blue Wkd (which I didn’t even know you could still get) aimed at the teen drinker. And it’s so fucking cheap, man. 

The cost of some supermarket drinks is insanely cheap like, but I think with everything else going up it's ewven more pronounced, especially cheap spirits. You can but a bottle of vodka for the price of a large spreadable butter pack! If you're really struggling with life events, far too easy to say "aah fuck it". And also a massive problem with kids too, which I know we're both getting to the age where we'll have to worry about this as parents. 

• Like 4

I don't agree at all about having a drink in the house. I'm happier having a couple of drinks on the sofa than socially and I don't drink enough to not be able to follow the telly I'm watching, you fucking reprobate. :lol:

I only do it once a week or something though. I'm basically the cool version of @Kid Dynamite

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

I would hike tax up on booze in super markets.  Take the tax down in boozers and restaurants and bring back more sensible opening hours.  I.e not all this day fucking shite and close on a period on a Sunday. But that's against capitalism init?

Minimum unit pricing and not having 24h licencing laws did some of this north of the border. Can't say I noticed it make any difference to the amount people drink if I'm honest but concede I have nothing to back that up with. 

Only thing I did notice is that it did away with cheap supermarket own brand spirits and shit like Frosty Jacks and White Lightening, since they could no longer price themselves significantly cheaper than stuff like Famous Grouse or Strongbow. I don't imagine that the majority of folk who were regularly buying that pish just started drinking less as a result.

Saying that, I have noticed younger generations seem to have a far more negative view of alcohol here, hopefully thats through better education and not just from them all having pisshead parents while growing up. 

• Like 1

I’ve had my ID robbed or whatever, some fucker has opened credit accounts in my name and ordered loads of women’s clothes and shite furniture. The silly cunt didn’t change the delivery address so it’s all arrived to me. 

I’ve been on the phone all day to millions of different places trying to sort it, I am on hold so I’m sat on the settee looking out the front window and some cunt kid just rides his bike straight into my car and scratches it all down the side…

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 4

Guinness zero is the answer, I rarely drink these days, despite the peer pressure and piss taking, it's good stuff and (in answer to the "what's the point" merchants) it feels like you're having a pint, even to the point of getting a tipsy feeling (obviously psychological) with no hangover guaranteed.

I do like a few beers sat on my deck at the, van in the sun, but I always have precautionary Alka Seltzer on hand up there 😀

As Gloom says booze is omnipresent and the pressure to drink it equally so.

It's also heartening to see folks realising it's an issue for them, well done lads and good luck.

• Like 5

On 21/12/2022 at 22:26, Blastronaut said:

Not quite Musk/Twitter level hysteria but a bit of a hoo-ha up here over a local music festival went under this year, bands and crew all still unpaid. It's been taken over by the previous organisers dad, whos company has started a gofundme to try and raise £60k to get the artist paid.

The dad in this story has turned out to be former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan Craig Murray. (Aye, the same Craig Murray that got jail time over his coverage of the recent Alex Salmond sexual misconduct trial).   

You’ll be surprised to hear things have turned out as expected :lol:

Doune the Rabbit Hole music festival cancelled after union boycott https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-65976470

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You’ll be surprised to hear things have turned out as expected :lol:

Doune the Rabbit Hole music festival cancelled after union boycott https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-65976470

Good find. Union never called for a boycott as far as I'm aware, just called out the Murray family shithousery and recommended performers insist on getting paid up front this year. 

• Like 1