General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

All of the above whilst getting paid the same real terms wage that they were getting in 2008 BTW.

If they haven't been promoted they will be on about 15% less in real terms won't they? 

During the Osbourne cunt austerity years, pay was pretty much reduced by 1% every year, compounded, obviously. That's huge ove a decade. And now with inflation in double figures, that;'s a huge cut for them to absorb.

After having to teach 2 kids in lockdown, I'm amazed there is a parent left that doesn't massively appreciate teachers. I certainly do. And I think 60 hour weeks are pretty normal. Class sizes at our school are approaching 35 now, and often there aren't teaching assistants anymore. Huge shortage of teachers in key subjects. It's a massive shit show. I support them 100% whilst at the same time obviously concerned about the impact on my own kids. I fucking hate the beligerence of the government, they don't care, their kids are all at private schools and not affected.

I like what I hear from Bridget but she hasn't addressed pay. I think all public sector employees need an inflation busting pay rise and then their pay should be indexed link to inflation for a decade so it can't decrease in real terms again. The public sector have been treated disgracefully and we all suffer for it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

That's similar with the Police.  They're expected to be social workers too to a large degree.  mental health nurses etc.

TORY CUNTS

Says the bloke bitching about a teachers strike :lol:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Says the bloke bitching about a teachers strike :lol:

My beef is how they make out they work ridiculous hours all of them.  They don't have holidays because they're too busy planning and prepping.  That's horse shit.  I know a lot of teachers, they all graft hard, no doubt about that.  But they certainly don't miss out on holidays or the like.

The pay and conditions are shite as pointed out and that needs to change.

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So you don't think its a valid point in the strike because the teachers you know personally aren't impacted by it?

Where have I said they shouldn't be striking?

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Where have I said they shouldn't be striking?

Have a re-read of my post yourself and tell me where I said you did.

What you ARE implying however, is that you don't believe any teachers should be claiming that long hours are a problem because the teachers YOU KNOW don't have that particular problem. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Have a re-read of my post yourself and tell me where I said you did.

What you ARE implying however, is that you don't believe any teachers should be claiming that long hours are a problem because the teachers YOU KNOW don't have that particular problem. 

I totally support any public worker striking.

Yes maybe my thoughts on the hours they do is very narrow minded, but I have chatted with the teachers are they all say they work pretty 'standard' office hours and not the inflated ones you hear about.  There is no doubt the ones who do ridiculous hours like you have in every industry.  

I was on the side of the cyclists in the riding two across debate but after seeing this clip I’m definitely going out of my way to run a couple over this weekend.

• Haha 5

On 04/07/2023 at 11:14, sammynb said:

I was just reading about a music festival in Rotterdam that happens in October called Left of the Dial and their website took me to the more amazing artists added page.
Nice work @Tom, mate looks like a blast to play at.

Ah yeah man we’re buzzing to be going there! We’re playing both days and they’re actually paying us properly and really looking after us. 

We’ve also got a gig in Rotterdam three weeks later so if we can sell some tickets for that it’ll be perfect B) 

• Like 4

On 07/07/2023 at 07:48, Gemmill said:

Just as an example of some of the stuff they have to deal with, my lass has a Ukrainian refugee in her class. The kid doesn't speak English, he's obviously been damaged by his experience, and he's a constant flight risk throughout the school day - as in he will, at a second's notice, get up out of his seat, leave the classroom, leave the building and just walk off school grounds to wherever the fuck he feels like. He's 9.

And he has to be physically dragged, kicking, punching, biting and screaming back onto premises and shut in a room until he calms down.

And the school has been told there is no alternative for him, so he has to stay in school and just be managed. So my lass is on high alert all day - trying to teach 31 kids whilst also keeping an eye on this lad, and if he so much as twitches or looks like he's about to get up, it's fucking panic stations. That's incredibly stressful to have to go back into every day.

That's not teaching. It's not fair on the other kids in the class and it's sure as fuck not fair on the teacher or the two or three that have to leave their classes to chase and drag him back to the building.

People don't see this sort of stuff but it's going on everywhere.

Imagine all that and then every time you get on social media someone's got something to say about how lazy and greedy you are, and if you put the telly on some cunt politician is there lying about how much you get paid and how much you're being offered.

It's a wonder we've got any teachers/nurses/doctors, etc etc left.

It sounds more like the place I was used to work at in St Nics than a school and that’s very similar experiences with my lass. She worked up at Amble, but is over Walker now. Never had any breaks, any frees to mark. Had to mark/plan on weekends, half terms and half of the six weeks with all those holidays teachers get…! 
It’s happened a good few times with Syrian kids where they don’t speak a word of English, terrified and just the other day w Kurdish laddie walked in shaking, crying not a word of English poor thing. She does get her breaks and frees in Walker unlike that other place and the pastoral team are great there, but she was basically a teacher, parwnt, phycologist and pastoral  at the other place. It’s honestly sickening the way at the Tory’s are not giving them the pay and support they need to do their job, simply just teach, compared to the likes of Scotland. that former educational secateurs of state was a right clown, but that’s the majority of politicians who lack any insight or empathy for teachers. 

I thought it Walker would be worse than Amble being an academy too, but they have more resources than Amble. That place is a sinking ship and basically how you described. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Didn’t one of them have a countdown for some underage lass until she was old enough to whip ‘em out? 

Yep- It was Lindsey Dawn McKenzie, for her 16th birthday 

Look It Up Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 2

On 08/07/2023 at 08:56, ewerk said:

I was on the side of the cyclists in the riding two across debate but after seeing this clip I’m definitely going out of my way to run a couple over this weekend.

Amusing that Vine doesn’t seem to realise what a bellend the bloke is and, by extension, what a one he is, as a less extreme version of that cyclist. That fucking daft bike vigilante is going to end up getting seriously hurt one way or another one of these days. Vine will then go on about how terrible it is, despite adding fuel to the fire. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s fucking scary how many people are clearly texting etc whilst driving. I notice it all the time whilst out walking the dogs. But that bloke is going to get his fucking head kicked in, or worse. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5