General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

53 minutes ago, strawb said:

Thanks for the help lads 

Honestly, the only thing remotely interesting in Wesshie is the Old Hall, other than that, go to Newcastle and have a late breakfast/early lunch. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It's all about the Saudi-Israel normalisation. Iran is trying to stop it, so is using Hizbollah as a proxy, funnelling rockets etc. Israel will respond with extreme force and Saudi will walk away

Hamas not hezbollah. I'm not sure it's anything to do with Saudi Israel relations thawing, or Iran Saudi proxy wars. More just the inevitable continuation of a bitter decades old conflict. I do fear for Gaza now though. 

3 hours ago, strawb said:

Ive got to take one of my brothers carers to a training course in Washington on Monday and wait three hours until she’s finished.

Any recommendations to waste 3 hours around there? Was thinking Seaburn beach depending on the weather? 

You know Seaburn is Sunderland right? Durham is a much better bet, 10 miles down the A1. I went there for the first time in yonks last month and was well impressed, one of the few cities which has improved in the last few years. Visit the cathwdral and riverside walk. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hamas not hezbollah. I'm not sure it's anything to do with Saudi Israel relations thawing, or Iran Saudi proxy wars. More just the inevitable continuation of a bitter decades old conflict. I do fear for Gaza now though. 

Saudi and Iran are sworn enemies. Saudi is on the verge of recognising Israel and normalising relations - and wants a defence pact with the US.

22 Israelis reportedly dead already. Latest:

The multi-front assault, during which Hamas militants entered Israel by paragliders, by land and from the sea, drew expressions of support from other militant groups in the region, and analysts said its complexity was unlike anything that Israel had witnessed in decades.

Mohammed Deif, the leader of Hamas’s military wing, said the Palestinian militant group had fired more than 5,000 rockets at Israel and called on Palestinians and other Arab states for support.

Islamic Jihad, a smaller militant group in Gaza, said that it had joined the fighting. The Iran-backed Hizbollah militant group in Lebanon said the attack was a “message” to countries such as Saudi Arabia seeking to normalise diplomatic relations with Israel.

It said it was “direct in contact with the leadership of the Palestinian resistance”. Richard Hecht, a spokesman for Israel’s military said the army was watching the situation on Israel’s northern border, where Hizbollah, which has a far bigger and more sophisticated arsenal than Hamas, is based, and that multiple firefights were taking place in the area around Gaza.

• Like 1

On the 50th anniversary of the Yom Kippur war. 

Looks to me like an attempt to stop more settlers. They’re all banged up in their enclaves. Bibi can’t guarantee their safety. You’d imagine that should be trouble for him rather than making him stronger? :cuppa: 

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Saudi and Iran are sworn enemies. Saudi is on the verge of recognising Israel and normalising relations - and wants a defence pact with the US.

I know, just think it's a bit early to speculate further on what has actually happened on the ground. Sounds very scary though from your other post. I'll not offer thoughts or prayers cos that's always the root cause of so many of these conflicts. Abraham I religions and sects slogging it out. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

I know, just think it's a bit early to speculate further on what has actually happened on the ground. Sounds very scary though from your other post. I'll not offer thoughts or prayers cos that's always the root cause of so many of these conflicts. Abraham I religions and sects slogging it out. 

I’ve got family in southern Israel. It’s terrifying 

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Oof. 

Have you heard from them?
Hope they’re all safe mate. 

my cousin’s kid has been called up to fight. I they all seem quite calm but they’re used to living with the threat of Hamas rockets being fired in their direction. I guess they’re used to it. This is worrying escalation though  

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

my cousin’s kid has been called up to fight. I they all seem quite calm but they’re used to living with the threat of Hamas rockets being fired in their direction. I guess they’re used to it. This is worrying escalation though  

I hope your family remain safe throughout, must be awful being caught up in all his hatred.

• Like 1

The Bin Dipper at work has been with us for almost a year now.  He's a good lad (despite being a dipper) and everyone in the office gets on with him.  He's a grafter, keen as fuck to learn and progress and doesn't shy away from work etc.  He's a good laugh and despite me sending him to Bristol, he took it on the chin.

We were making a brew a couple of months back.  I asked him how his weekend was, he said it was messy (alcohol wise).  Then proceeded to tell me what he and his partner and two mates had supped on Friday night.  Basically 9 bottles of wine, a bottle of rum and several beers.  I don't know how much of it is bravado, but I asked him where the kids were (He has a 1 year old and a 4 year old).  He said nonchalantly 'Upstairs asleep, why?'

Anyways, it's clear this wasn't a one off.  Last weekend he started Sober October.  On Saturday night in the lads WhatsApp group he was clearly absolutely mortal and sending all sorts of garbled messages.  Sunday he was saying he was absolutely hanging and gutted he couldn't have a hair of the dog.

A few weeks ago his youngest started nursery and on a Friday he goes to pick her up.  The first Friday he was picking her up, he was pissing and moaning all day.  So in the afternoon I asked him if he wanted to making a brew.  Whilst in the kitchen I asked if everything was ok.  Conversation went something like 'No, I am fucked off I have to pick up her from Nursery and I can't go for a pint after work'.  Some Fridays we go for a pint after work.  It's usually a pint or two and that's it. ~

This Friday some were going for a pint again and he kicked off pissing and moaning again.  Not because he couldn't go to the pub, but because he's doing Sober October.  I asked why he couldn't have a soft drink and he said why go to the pub then? :lol:

Now the kid clearly has a drink problem.  I messaged him at the weekend just to let him know if he wanted to talk about owt I am available to him.  But I suppose there isn't much else I can do is there?  I want to help the kid.  The amount he drink's is mental. but it's the fact him and his Mrs do it when there's bairns of that age in the house that scares me TBH.

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The Bin Dipper at work has been with us for almost a year now.  He's a good lad (despite being a dipper) and everyone in the office gets on with him.  He's a grafter, keen as fuck to learn and progress and doesn't shy away from work etc.  He's a good laugh and despite me sending him to Bristol, he took it on the chin.

We were making a brew a couple of months back.  I asked him how his weekend was, he said it was messy (alcohol wise).  Then proceeded to tell me what he and his partner and two mates had supped on Friday night.  Basically 9 bottles of wine, a bottle of rum and several beers.  I don't know how much of it is bravado, but I asked him where the kids were (He has a 1 year old and a 4 year old).  He said nonchalantly 'Upstairs asleep, why?'

Anyways, it's clear this wasn't a one off.  Last weekend he started Sober October.  On Saturday night in the lads WhatsApp group he was clearly absolutely mortal and sending all sorts of garbled messages.  Sunday he was saying he was absolutely hanging and gutted he couldn't have a hair of the dog.

A few weeks ago his youngest started nursery and on a Friday he goes to pick her up.  The first Friday he was picking her up, he was pissing and moaning all day.  So in the afternoon I asked him if he wanted to making a brew.  Whilst in the kitchen I asked if everything was ok.  Conversation went something like 'No, I am fucked off I have to pick up her from Nursery and I can't go for a pint after work'.  Some Fridays we go for a pint after work.  It's usually a pint or two and that's it. ~

This Friday some were going for a pint again and he kicked off pissing and moaning again.  Not because he couldn't go to the pub, but because he's doing Sober October.  I asked why he couldn't have a soft drink and he said why go to the pub then? :lol:

Now the kid clearly has a drink problem.  I messaged him at the weekend just to let him know if he wanted to talk about owt I am available to him.  But I suppose there isn't much else I can do is there?  I want to help the kid.  The amount he drink's is mental. but it's the fact him and his Mrs do it when there's bairns of that age in the house that scares me TBH.

The fact he's prioritising drinking over picking his bairn up suggests he has a problem (or that a problem is around the corner). Nowt wrong with enjoying a can or two in front of the telly once the bairns are asleep, but getting into a state where you can't function if the kids wake up mid-night is dodgy (especially with a 1 year old, both my kids were liable for a mid-evening shite/meltdown at that age).

The thing I've learned when it comes to addiction is that the addict needs to realise there is a problem AND want to fix it before you can do anything, really. All you can do is gently lead him to that realisation and hope he sees it.

That said, if he's able to keep his shit together during the week without a drink, then maybe he's just a young kid who hasn't quite grasped the concept of growing up once you have little kids in the house, in which case he just needs a slap.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2023 at 18:57, Rayvin said:

I hope your family remain safe throughout, must be awful being caught up in all his hatred.

The rockets have apparently started to reach Tel Aviv, causing damage, which is where most of my family live. Air sirens going off around the clock. I've been watching the footage and interviews the BBC posted from the the supernova festival in Israel - absolutely terrifying. Young kids just out partying suddenly surrounded on all sides by gunmen, firing indiscriminately. Then volunteers shot at while trying to recover bodies from the site.

More than a hundred people, including some foreign nationals, have been taken hostage into Gaza. But Israel "doesn't negotiate with terrorists", so their future looks bleak. 

And we all know what is coming. Israel will level Gaza for this. It's all so fucking pointless and hopeless. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

The rockets have apparently started to reach Tel Aviv, causing damage, which is where most of my family live. Air sirens going off around the clock. I've been watching the footage and interviews the BBC posted from the the supernova festival in Israel - absolutely terrifying. Young kids just out partying suddenly surrounded on all sides by gunmen, firing indiscriminately. Then volunteers shot at while trying to recover bodies from the site then more than a hundred people, including some foreign nationals, taken hostage into Gaza. But Israel "doesn't negotiate with terrorists", so their future looks bleak. 

And we all know what is coming. Israel will level Gaza for this. It's all so fucking pointless and hopeless. 

Even a proportionate response would be devestating. It won't be a proportionate response though, that's for sure. Middle East is as fucked as it's ever been, we've been distracted in Europe with a ton of closer to home shit. Just hope spmehow there can be some kind of peaceful resolution, but I doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The rockets have apparently started to reach Tel Aviv, causing damage, which is where most of my family live. Air sirens going off around the clock. I've been watching the footage and interviews the BBC posted from the the supernova festival in Israel - absolutely terrifying. Young kids just out partying suddenly surrounded on all sides by gunmen, firing indiscriminately. Then volunteers shot at while trying to recover bodies from the site.

More than a hundred people, including some foreign nationals, have been taken hostage into Gaza. But Israel "doesn't negotiate with terrorists", so their future looks bleak. 

Its scary times.  US have a carrier in the region ready for it.  You're right Gaza is gonna be flattened. 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Its scary times.  US have a carrier in the region ready for it.  You're right Gaza is gonna be flattened. 

Not remotely justifying what Hamas has done, but the whole concept of the Gaza strip is some dystopian nightmare, a prison for millions of people hemmed in by 30 foot fences, like West Berlin but worse. It can't go on like this. Israel's solution will propbably be just to erase it from the map entirely, but then what? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Aye, it's lose/lose for the normal people on both sides really. Hamas do something horrific, and Israel will respond with something equally horrific which only escalates things further. It's the people who just want to live their lives peacefully and quietly who end up getting hurt by it all.

Hope your family stays safe during all of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

I think you've done all you can directly. How old is he? 

I know when I was in my 20s I drank a frankly dangerous amount. Twice had my stomach pumped. As I grew up I quickly grew out of that.

On 07/10/2023 at 08:47, strawb said:

Ive got to take one of my brothers carers to a training course in Washington on Monday and wait three hours until she’s finished.

Any recommendations to waste 3 hours around there? Was thinking Seaburn beach depending on the weather? 

Stay in your car.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think you've done all you can directly. How old is he? 

I know when I was in my 20s I drank a frankly dangerous amount. Twice had my stomach pumped. As I grew up I quickly grew out of that.

He's just turned 30.  I think some of it certainly is to do with being younger and part of the Rugby Union background of boozing mad amounts.

That sounds nasty having your stomach pumped.