General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What in the everloving fuck did you search to get that? :lol: 

Ages ago I was giving a seminar about academic literature searching, and I gave a demonstration about how Google auto fills suggestions. Much to my horror, and absolutely nothing to do with my personal history I might add (it was a float laptop with projector), I started typing "Can I.... " to which Google auto filled "... get pregnant from a dog?". That drew a few gasps from my work colleagues. Christ knows why that was Google's best guess from those words. Maybe it was localised to Sunderland queries, I dunno. 

Anyway, I was planning a post about this but then Google threw that at me, the result of "Can I get pregnant from a dog? "

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

:lol: Are these dogs wise guy New Yorkers? “I’m walking here!”

Aye, in retrospect they’re clearly ‘connected’ and playing pool. I think the memory of the Jack Russell using the rest made me think it was snooker. Tasteless (albeit humorous) tat either way though :lol: 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Heating on for the first time since the winter here.

I've just tested the heating in the new place to make sure it works when we do need it (probably this weekend).

Pleased to report that it does.

Fascinating. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

@Gemmill @Holden McGroin Manc-mag is alive and well. I haven’t seen him in ages but Cat-Mag saw him quite recently when she was visiting Manchester. Not sure re: Happy Face but didn’t he still tweet a lot after no longer posting on here?

Never knew why either stopped posting. Glad the grey man is okay, hope he still has a fabulous taste in shoes; also hope HF is well too. Must be nearly a decade gone by. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Never knew why either stopped posting. Glad the grey man is okay, hope he still has a fabulous taste in shoes; also hope HF is well too. Must be nearly a decade gone by. 

Rob W disappeared as well. I recall he was quite old back in the day.

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I've just tested the heating in the new place to make sure it works when we do need it (probably this weekend).

Pleased to report that it does.

Fascinating. :lol:

I'm pondering whether to set the underfloor heating in the bathroom on a timer for the first time. Amazing.

On a slightly more interesting note, we had EDF come out for the NINTH time trying to fix the gas smart meter yesterday. Couldn't fix it again, the bloke just shrugged and said he'd be out again next month to not fix it. Its common place apparently, about 50% of smart meters don't work. 

6 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Rob W disappeared as well. I recall he was quite old back in the day.

Rob (who I’ll admit I never got on with) mentioned once about being at university when the moon landings took place. So while he’s no spring chicken now he wasn’t anywhere near as old as he used to make out back then. I think he thought it gave him an air of wisdom instead of it being another example of his being a weapons-grade gobshite. Obviously I may edit this if he’s dead 

• Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Rob (who I’ll admit I never got on with) mentioned once about being at university when the moon landings took place. So while he’s no spring chicken now he wasn’t anywhere near as old as he used to make out back then. I think he thought it gave him an air of wisdom instead of it being another example of his being a weapons-grade gobshite. Obviously I may edit this if he’s dead 

Im not sure I got on with him either.  He gave off grumpy old man vibes. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Im not sure I got on with him either.  He gave off grumpy old man vibes. 

HIs Andy Capp avatar probably didn't help. I mean, I still imagine Alex as James Dean when I know for a fact that is a million miles away from the truth. :lol:

And Gloom is a 1980s Barry Venison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Renton said:

HIs Andy Capp avatar probably didn't help. I mean, I still imagine Alex as James Dean when I know for a fact that is a million miles away from the truth. :lol:

you could give yourself as evidence here as well. 😜

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, living past the age of 24 is where I started to go wrong 

• Haha 2

I am having some building work done.  We need a vent duct in a floor in between insulation that's going to have underfloor heating put in.  Our kitchen guy has set out a space for the vent that's going to service a hob.  Builder calls yesterday and tells me the setting out is wrong as it's over an area where it shouldn't be.  I explained to him, he's wrong as I checked the dims myself the previous night and it was bang on.  So I talk it through with him and all good.  When I got home I just wanted to double check before they put in the UFH pipes and screed it.  Glad I did, it was in the wrong place.

Called the main builder.  Explained it needed moving and told him I had place drawings on the wall yet it was still wrong.  I spent a good hour setting it out myself on the floor and marking it out, double and triple checking.  Called the main builder he was fine, apologised and told me to leave it with him.  He messaged me told me his man will sort it tomorrow.  Cool.  I didn't sleep great as it was on my mind.  The position is critical as it has an impact on the kitchen, position of things etc.

This morning, I get into work, message the builder to check the plan on the wall where I have placed a drawing up showing where no UFH pipes are to be placed.  Get the thumbs up, all good.  He's just phoned me;

'Hi, the UFH pipes are down, we haven't placed them where you said'
'Great stuff'

'However, I've just been told the ducts in the wrong place'

'What?'

'Yeh'

'X told me he told you last night and you were going to change it this morning'

'No'

FFS.  Fucking FUMING.

Just spoke to the builder.  Told him since they started working on it since August I couldn't have asked for better builders.  They've been spot on.  Then tried telling me it was my fault because it's usually the kitchen guy that puts it in.  WHAT?  So your guy cant use a fucking tape measure the slack cunt.  So why lie and say he said he will sort it?