General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

16 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He's just turned 30.  I think some of it certainly is to do with being younger and part of the Rugby Union background of boozing mad amounts.

That sounds nasty having your stomach pumped.

It's rank and embarrassing. First time was in Tenerife, second was in Leeds. 

Thought I'd got away without anyone knowing, but I was living with Doctors at the time and as I was nursing a sausage bap in the morning, one spotted the hospital bracelet round my wrist and asked why I'd been in. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Thought I'd got away without anyone knowing, but I was living with Doctors at the time and as I was nursing a sausage bap in the morning, one spotted the hospital bracelet round my wrist and asked why I'd been in. 

Sounds like a waste of good Pimms 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Even a proportionate response would be devestating. It won't be a proportionate response though, that's for sure. Middle East is as fucked as it's ever been, we've been distracted in Europe with a ton of closer to home shit. Just hope spmehow there can be some kind of peaceful resolution, but I doubt it. 

what is a proportionate response to gunmen murdering and kidnapping civilians as militants fire rocket at civilian areas? 

Edited by Dr Gloom

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

what is a proportionate response to gunmen murdering and kidnapping civilians as militants fire rocket at civilian areas? 

There is no such thing as a proportionate response, unfortunately. The closest I can think of would be bringing the gunmen and militants to justice (by legal means or lethal) and freeing any hostages. Sadly, it'll be more likely a case of retaliatory bombing of civilian areas in Palestine which will serve nothing more than to stoke the fires further. It's a vicious cycle and one I can't see ending any time soon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

As Dazzler says, you can't respond proportionately to this. Maybe at least adhering to human rights conventions and not killing civilians indiscriminately in Gaza would be a start though, since Israel are an actual country with reponsibilities, unlike Hama who are a prescribed terrorist organisation. I fear the desire for revenge will make things worse. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dazzler said:

There is no such thing as a proportionate response, unfortunately. The closest I can think of would be bringing the gunmen and militants to justice (by legal means or lethal) and freeing any hostages. Sadly, it'll be more likely a case of retaliatory bombing of civilian areas in Palestine which will serve nothing more than to stoke the fires further. It's a vicious cycle and one I can't see ending any time soon.

i'm afraid you're right. it's absolutely devastating for all the normal people on both sides who just want peace. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Renton said:

As Dazzler says, you can't respond proportionately to this. Maybe at least adhering to human rights conventions and not killing civilians indiscriminately in Gaza would be a start though, since Israel are an actual country with reponsibilities, unlike Hama who are a prescribed terrorist organisation. I fear the desire for revenge will make things worse. 

Yup. And it doesn't take a genius to see where this is going: all you have to do is look at the bloke in charge and the nationalist nutters who are propping him up. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

my other cousin's kid has apparently turned his phone off, in case he gets the call to fight. he's a pacifist and doesn't want any part in it 

There's plenty of people on twitter who seem giddy at the chance to have a scrap over there, see if one of them fancies taking his place?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

That must've been embarrassing thinking you'd got away without anyone hearing you call it a 'bap'. :(

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm afraid you're right. it's absolutely devastating for all the normal people on both sides who just want peace. 

I would say the race to the bottom on hatred has now been reached in this conflict, but then the human capacity for inflicting suffering is seemingly boundless. Heads are going to roll in the Israeli intelligence setup though, seems that this caught them completely off guard.

I wonder what we'd do in the shoes of either side. You'd like to think we'd somehow be 'better' and 'more compassionate', but I doubt it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

That must've been embarrassing thinking you'd got away without anyone hearing you call it a 'bap'. :(

It was Leeds Uni. Just be glad I didn't say Barm Cake.

Plus, there were plenty of baps around, 

if you know what i mean eyebrow raise GIF

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I wonder what we'd do in the shoes of either side. You'd like to think we'd somehow be 'better' and 'more compassionate', but I doubt it.

What have we done as outsiders? I said this years before when we've discussed this 'conflict' here, that what I find unique about this situation is that the world has funded, armed and rallied behind a brutal, invading, occupying force. Contrast that to most other recent wars. Any idiot versed in basic history can tell you that a desperate, extreme and terrible insurgency is a likely outcome in this scenario, so one can only assume the world in general is okay with this result because we aren't doing anything to try and change it. Just repeating more of the same mistakes. 

Desperately hope Gloomy's family and all innocent folk out there can stay safe from this horrible, depressing situation. For the ones in Israel at least there is some hope. What to say for the 3 million, half of them kids, stuck in a 100km strip of land with no where to escape to and now cut off from power and food, I just don't know. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

What have we done as outsiders? I said this years before when we've discussed this 'conflict' here, that what I find unique about this situation is that the world has funded, armed and rallied behind a brutal, invading, occupying force. Contrast that to most other recent wars. Any idiot versed in basic history can tell you that a desperate, extreme and terrible insurgency is a likely outcome in this scenario, so one can only assume the world in general is okay with this result because we aren't doing anything to try and change it. Just repeating more of the same mistakes. 

Desperately hope Gloomy's family and all innocent folk out there can stay safe from this horrible, depressing situation. For the ones in Israel at least there is some hope. What to say for the 3 million, half of them kids, stuck in a 100km strip of land with no where to escape to and now cut off from power and food, I just don't know. 

I don't disagree with any of that really. And the UK in particular should hang its head in shame over this complete fiasco it had a significant hand in creating.

2 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

The last time we were anywhere close was when Clinton brokered the meeting between Rabin and Arafat at Camp David, which looked promising until an Israeli extremist assassinated Rabin.

We’ve been into this before, I’m sure and I don’t have much desire to get into it again. Particularly at the moment. 

I believe Israel has the right to exist. It also therefore has the right to defend its sovereign territory.

The blockade of Gaza is deplorable as is the continued expansion of settlements in the occupied territories.

The actions of Hamas are equally deplorable.   Let’s not pretend otherwise. A lot of Jewish people blame Palestinians in Gaza for electing them but they haven’t had an election since 2007,  I think, so it’s not like they represent all the people there. Just as Bibi, who has had to form a coalition of the most awful nationalists in the country to cling on to power, doesn’t represent most Israeli people.

I feel for those who want peace on both sides. It’s absolutely devastating and hopeless. For Israelis and Palestinians alike.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I feel for those who want peace on both sides. It’s absolutely devastating and hopeless. For Israelis and Palestinians alike.

Watching some of the footage today, of both the Israeli and Palestinian carnage wreaked on civilians, I was struck that, but for the flag whichever person had stuck on their video, you’d never know who was who- they were just ordinary, terrified people. 
There’s clearly a taste for this violence on both sides,amongst a select few, who stir up the cannon fodder, but I wonder, watching today, what will it take for both sides to say “Enough”? 

If this isn’t it, then the next logical point when that might happen is after a nuclear escalation. 

People mention the Good Friday Agreement as an example of two sides reaching that point, but the destruction and misery was nowhere near the levels that have played out here for decades. 

I’m at a loss tbh. 

I sincerely hope your family members are, and stay, safe Gloomy, I can’t imagine how it must be actually having relatives caught in this madness. 

• Like 3

On 07/10/2023 at 12:39, Renton said:

Hamas not hezbollah. I'm not sure it's anything to do with Saudi Israel relations thawing, or Iran Saudi proxy wars. More just the inevitable continuation of a bitter decades old conflict. I do fear for Gaza now though. 

hate to get all Sean Casey on a story as devastating as this one. But, like I said…

US has 'no comment' on alleged Hamas meeting

A senior US defence official says they would "not comment on intelligence matters today" after a question from Fox News reporter Jennifer Griffin about an alleged meeting between Hamas and Lebanese Islamist group Hezbollah that was reportedly brokered by Iran. 

A report in the Wall Street Journal newspaper says that Iran played a key role in helping Hamas prepare for its surprise attack. 

The newspaper said talks in Beirut began in August and included members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp.

The US has not specified what role Iran may have had. "Iran is in the picture here," the unnamed official said.

"We've been clear for years in Iran's role in fomenting instability across the region," the official added.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Yes, it looks state sponsored. What the fuck do we do about Iran then? What a mess. Armageddon is located just North of the West Bank iirc. 

It feels (to me at least) that we are inching closer and closer to another global conflict. Russia invading Ukraine, Yemen, Israel and Palestine. Iran has skin in the game of two of those conflicts - Iran and US are always on the precipice of war, which covid seemed to quell for a bit - all it will take is Trump to get back in power and it's a fucking powder keg. I reckon RFK jr would be equally as bad for global relations.

A bunch of rich cunts profiteering from all this death and destruction whilst the normal people suffer.