General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

A lot of people seem to completely miss the point that Abbott comes under so much scrutiny and is held up to different standards because she’s a black, female Labour MP. 

People seriously hate her. Never sat in government. Is there a decent silent majority in this country? Sometimes I have my doubts…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Obviously @wykikitoon I wouldn’t dream of accusing you of racism mate :good: 

There is something about Yorkshireman though… 😆

This won't surprise ANYONE on here. But the amount of arguments I've got into with racist wankers with remarks.

• Haha 5

Heads up to anyone who's interested. There's a "to scale" solar system trail on the coast being held this weekend. Think the sun and the inner solar system will be on longsands with Neptune and Pluto as far away as St Mary's lighthouse. For reference, if the sun is the size of a football, on this scale the next nearest star, Proxima Centauri, would be in Chicago. It's a nice walk although the weather is probably going to be shit. They have a permanent one in Melbourne and I'm hoping they will make a permanent version of this too. 

https://northtynesidesolartrail.co.uk/

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Renton said:

Heads up to anyone who's interested. There's a "to scale" solar system trail on the coast being held this weekend. Think the sun and the inner solar system will be on longsands with Neptune and Pluto as far away as St Mary's lighthouse. For reference, if the sun is the size of a football, on this scale the next nearest star, Proxima Centauri, would be in Chicago. It's a nice walk although the weather is probably going to be shit. They have a permanent one in Melbourne and I'm hoping they will make a permanent version of this too. 

It blew my mind a bit (despite being aware of the distances / sizes involved) when Brian Cox did this on tv. It’s a really good way of illustrating the vast emptiness of space (even just within our own solar system). 

Edited by Alex

7 hours ago, Renton said:

It’s a fair old walk from Longsands to Chicago mind, I hope you’ve got a comfortable pair of trainers.

• Haha 5

On 11/03/2024 at 20:09, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m disgusted with myself that I actually read all of that :lol:

Aye, I wish I'd read this before I read that. My head hurts.

• Haha 1

@The Fish...

me new house (read money pit) on the edge of monmouth. quirky as fuck, love the half hexagon sitting room which id assume was where the tolls would've been taken. probably gonna be a year or two project to get it how we want it, but mrs bd absolutely loves it, exceptional walks along the wye valley literally on the doorstep l.

up to now, £15k on a new septic tank, though the survey found this and they had to either get a new one put in themselves or reduce the original agreed selling price by the above for us to have the work done.

£750 on roof repairs... ridge tiles either removed/refitted or replaced, 7 slates renewed, chimney repointed, lead flashing repaired.

garden's fucking enormous but now looks like glastonbury on a very bad weather year due to the new tank going in, the massive willow tree roots had fucked the old brick built one. 

there's a fucking jacuzzi been left at the top of the garden which I was quite annoyed about, no idea really why any fucker wants to have a bath with their mates. anyway a bit of research seems to indicate it's worth about £4k secondhand, provided of course you can find somebody to buy the bloody thing and pay to have taken away!

one thing they did leave next to the woodburning stove in the sitting room was a old blacksmith's anvil, thing weighs a ton and I'm guessing that's why they didn't take it, chuffed to bits with it, proper antique one and git to be worth £500ish if not a bit more!  :)

20240314_145833.jpg

20240314_145930.jpg

20240314_150011.jpg

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

@The Fish...

me new house (read money pit) on the edge of monmouth. quirky as fuck, love the half hexagon sitting room which id assume was where the tolls would've been taken. probably gonna be a year or two project to get it how we want it, but mrs bd absolutely loves it, exceptional walks along the wye valley literally on the doorstep l.

up to now, £15k on a new septic tank, though the survey found this and they had to either get a new one put in themselves or reduce the original agreed selling price by the above for us to have the work done.

£750 on roof repairs... ridge tiles either removed/refitted or replaced, 7 slates renewed, chimney repointed, lead flashing repaired.

garden's fucking enormous but now looks like glastonbury on a very bad weather year due to the new tank going in, the massive willow tree roots had fucked the old brick built one. 

there's a fucking jacuzzi been left at the top of the garden which I was quite annoyed about, no idea really why any fucker wants to have a bath with their mates. anyway a bit of research seems to indicate it's worth about £4k secondhand, provided of course you can find somebody to buy the bloody thing and pay to have taken away!

one thing they did leave next to the woodburning stove in the sitting room was a old blacksmith's anvil, thing weighs a ton and I'm guessing that's why they didn't take it, chuffed to bits with it, proper antique one and git to be worth £500ish if not a bit more!  :)

20240314_145833.jpg

20240314_145930.jpg

20240314_150011.jpg

Nice to see you’ve got a dropped kerb so your driver can get his wheelchair up to the front door to carry your bags in for you. :lol:

• Haha 4

the garden (mud bath) with unwanted jacuzzi at the back, open to offers!  :)

and the offending willow tree! ive forgiven it the £15k as there's a song thrush s8ngs it little heart out from the top of it every morning!  :)

20240314_150032.jpg

20240314_150115.jpg

• Like 3

I'd love a house like that with a load of character but can't be bothered with the hassle and maintenance that goes along with it. Best of luck in it, tbd!

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'd love a house like that with a load of character but can't be bothered with the hassle and maintenance that goes along with it. Best of luck in it, tbd!

cheers mate.  :)

Looks great. Must admit I'd love somewhere a bit out in the sticks instead of the new build shite I'm living in atm. One day maybe.

CT will take that jacuzzi off your hands, no bother. Do you take crypto?

• Haha 5

Am I being stupid here? But this reads to me like the US (Its an article about their economy) won't go into recession. But the unemployment wave and drop in spending says the opposite? 

Surely it should be low odds. Not high? 

IMG_20240315_174152.jpg

I think it's quite common for non-gamblers to equate "odds" with "likelihood" when they talk about things like this, hence getting high/low the wrong way round.

• Like 2