General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Sounds like it’s their problem, not yours. When you say patterned concrete do you mean paving? If so then that should be fairly easy to lift and replace and I can’t imagine the whole process taking more than a day.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Sounds like it’s their problem, not yours. When you say patterned concrete do you mean paving? If so then that should be fairly easy to lift and replace and I can’t imagine the whole process taking more than a day.

It's patterned concrete so if they had to dig it up it's not going to look the same. They won't have to pay but I might for anything at my end? It'll take more than a day, civils would probably dig it, sparky would replace then they'd make good but I don't want to give them the headache, there was an ambulance there the other day and I'm not actually a cunt. :lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Who the fucks have pattered concrete? Sort it out for em and smash it up 

Loads around our way. :lol:

This is what I'm talking about....

IMG_20231221_175001.thumb.jpg.c407d74cc6a08b9c34552fa9a7d19509.jpg

I'm diagram one by the looks of it so the main cable from the street goes to mine then loops out into their house. 

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

I would just wait for the mobility installer. May not be the problem you think it is :) 

They're actually a big problem, you can't get an answer out of the cunts and they want you to sketch a plan plus take a few photographs. I just got a local sparky and asked for a quote if it wasn't going to be a pain in the arse, (this was before I realised I might be on a looped system). Still waiting to see what he says but he reckons the The local electric board are a pain to deal with?

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Loads around our way. :lol:

This is what I'm talking about....

IMG_20231221_175001.thumb.jpg.c407d74cc6a08b9c34552fa9a7d19509.jpg

I'm diagram one by the looks of it so the main cable from the street goes to mine then loops out into their house. 

Have the supply company told you you’ve got to do it because the incoming cable won’t take the load of a charger? …

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

To almost paraphrase Tom Jones, “that is unusual” :cuppa:

How many kW is your charger?…

I haven't got a charger yet? I'm not ordering the car till I know I can get a charger installed, if it's too much hassle I won't get an EV if I have to charge away from the house, it's too expensive and impractical.

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Have the supply company told you you’ve got to do it because the incoming cable won’t take the load of a charger? …

No I haven't got in touch with them yet, I think the installer needs to inform them first but they tend to not like the idea of it and in the next few years I think they'll phase them out as it's generally older houses that have them when heat pumps, solar panels and EV chargers weren't planned? Plus it's future proofing them so it's going to happen eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

No I haven't got in touch with them yet, I think the installer needs to inform them first but they tend to not like the idea of it and in the next few years I think they'll phase them out as it's generally older houses that have them when heat pumps, solar panels and EV chargers weren't planned? Plus it's future proofing them so it's going to happen eventually. 

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I haven't got a charger yet? I'm not ordering the car till I know I can get a charger installed, if it's too much hassle I won't get an EV if I have to charge away from the house, it's too expensive and impractical.

A fast charger is 10kw,  about 43amps which is the size of an electric shower. If your shower is run off your combi boiler and your hob/cooker is no more than 20A you should be fine.  The folk supplying the vehicle ie the sellers might be able to tell you what you require power wise. Take your point about local supply companies, they’re a law unto themselves. If you’ve got a big electric shower with a muckle pull chord or switch near the bathroom you might struggle anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

A fast charger is 10kw,  about 43amps which is the size of an electric shower. If your shower is run off your combi boiler and your hob/cooker is no more than 20A you should be fine.  The folk supplying the vehicle ie the sellers might be able to tell you what you require power wise. Take your point about local supply companies, they’re a law unto themselves. If you’ve got a big electric shower with a muckle pull chord or switch near the bathroom you might struggle anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

It would be 7kw charger I'd say. Combi boiler shower, gas central heating, everything else electric. I think the electric companies are bothered two houses could potentially get a lot of new electric heavy equipment and there's only one main supply for them both so would rather de-loop them and solve a future problem?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

A domestic charger is 7kw/32a. My experience was that the installer was very fussy about my set up and wanted loads of photos beforehand to make sure everything was perfect before even coming out. If the recommendation is not to install on a looped supply then most of them won’t touch it.

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

A domestic charger is 7kw/32a. My experience was that the installer was very fussy about my set up and wanted loads of photos beforehand to make sure everything was perfect before even coming out. If the recommendation is not to install on a looped supply then most of them won’t touch it.

Yeah 10kw is for heavy use, like if you need to charge from 1/4 > full charge overnight most nights. Thats worse case scenario. How long does it take for your normal charge? The DNO are god like you say, no arguing with the fuckers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It would be 7kw charger I'd say. Combi boiler shower, gas central heating, everything else electric. I think the electric companies are bothered two houses could potentially get a lot of new electric heavy equipment and there's only one main supply for them both so would rather de-loop them and solve a future problem?

Yep. Makes sense. I’d have thought if they were doubling up they’d put a bigger than normal supply cable in to allow for additions. But WTF do I know? Am a mere lightbulb changer nowadays ☺️ 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yep. Makes sense. I’d have thought if they were doubling up they’d put a bigger than normal supply cable in to allow for additions. But WTF do I know? Am a mere lightbulb changer nowadays ☺️ 

It's old houses from at least the 50s if not earlier. The electrics are sorted internally but obviously the main supply in is down the DNO's and when they were put in the houses had scullerys and the like and I'd have probably had a tin bath? :lol:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah 10kw is for heavy use, like if you need to charge from 1/4 > full charge overnight most nights. Thats worse case scenario. How long does it take for your normal charge? The DNO are god like you say, no arguing with the fuckers. 

It’s about six hours from 20% to 80% at home and about four hours at work at 11kw.

My issue was with the installer rather than the DNO. I got the charger installed for free with the car so had no option as to who installed it. They initially refused to install it because I couldn’t provide a photo showing that my incoming water supply had been earthed. They were still refusing even after me explaining to them that it was a plastic pipe. Now I’m no expert in electrics but earthing a plastic pipe seems a bit redundant to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s about six hours from 20% to 80% at home and about four hours at work at 11kw.

My issue was with the installer rather than the DNO. I got the charger installed for free with the car so had no option as to who installed it. They initially refused to install it because I couldn’t provide a photo showing that my incoming water supply had been earthed. They were still refusing even after me explaining to them that it was a plastic pipe. Now I’m no expert in electrics but earthing a plastic pipe seems a bit redundant to me.

I've got the same problem with the water. I've checked the gas and leccy and both are earthed, (to this layman's eyes), the water I simply can't remember but we moved it the stopcock from what is now our living room to the extension. The initial plumber was newly qualified and hopeless so fuck knows if the earthing is behind the dishwasher or in it's original position, (there's a tap on the outside wall where the sink in the original kitchen used to be). A sparky can test the stopcock to see if it's earthed apparently if he's limited access to it and can't see the earthing? (PL will know if he hasn't turned into charcoal whilst replacing a light bulb?)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Am not going to bore the tits off the entire TT community by talking about the whys and wherefores of extraneous metal surfaces, earthed equipotential bonding and automatic disconnection of supply but suffice to say that nowadays you’re right, it’s virtually fuckin pointless 😀

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've got the same problem with the water. I've checked the gas and leccy and both are earthed, (to this layman's eyes), the water I simply can't remember but we moved it the stopcock from what is now our living room to the extension. The initial plumber was newly qualified and hopeless so fuck knows if the earthing is behind the dishwasher or in it's original position, (there's a tap on the outside wall where the sink in the original kitchen used to be). A sparky can test the stopcock to see if it's earthed apparently if he's limited access to it and can't see the earthing? (PL will know if he hasn't turned into charcoal whilst replacing a light bulb?)

Yeah the main water bond should’ve gone to the new stop cock position. If your sparky didn’t do it he needs his arse kucking. If he left his test sheets for the new installation check on there there’s a box to say whether it’s done, if it’s not been moved he’s falsifying legal declarations the cunt :cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad