General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

:lol:

TBF She is a lot calmer.  It takes something like this to make her snap like.  I did tell her she needs to be careful as some fucker could be carrying a blade.  She said he was a little old pissed up bloke and thought she could have him :lol:

:lol: Where do you live? Harlem?

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

People are generally scared of the reaction they'll get from speaking up. If someone is going to spout racist bile then they could well be the sort of person to attack you for standing up to them. That's why you need the support of the other people on the bus to back your wife up. Though at the very least the driver should have taken charge of the situation.

I was in a similar situation about 15 years ago. I regret not having the balls to stand up to this horribly obnoxious nutter who was racially abusing someone on the tube one night. He looked shit scary though. Everyone on the carriage kept their heads down as the bloke kept trying to make eye contact and waited till they could escape the situation. I felt terrible for the lad being abused and gutless for not doing anything.

I'm still on holiday and have just been watching a BBC World news report following up on some US troops the reporter spent some time with in Iraq. 

There lives were a mixture of fuck ups and making it okay but what shocked me was this stat: 4500 troops were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan but since then 100000 have committed suicide - awful price for very questionable outcomes. 

Fucking hell- it’s not just the 100,000 lives lost, but the many more lives of their loved ones left to deal with their suicides afterwards. 

I used to be quite a positive thinking, optimistic bloke , but the world is just fucked up, isn’t it? 

On 28/10/2018 at 18:04, NJS said:

I'm still on holiday and have just been watching a BBC World news report following up on some US troops the reporter spent some time with in Iraq. 

There lives were a mixture of fuck ups and making it okay but what shocked me was this stat: 4500 troops were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan but since then 100000 have committed suicide - awful price for very questionable outcomes. 

100,000  people in the US or... 100k ex soldiers? No way the latter, surely. Or 100k Afghans?

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

100,000  people in the US or... 100k ex soldiers? No way the latter, surely. Or 100k Afghans?

Ex US soldiers - 4.5 million served in the middle East. 

@NJS But 100,000 killed themselves? That's a staggering proportion even of 4.5m

If that's true it should be massive news in the US. It's what, something like 2% of them? If they've allowed that to happen it's an absolute disgrace.

Edited by Rayvin

I'm sceptical of that claim too, it doesn't seem plausible. The annualised suicide rate in males in the US is 21.1/100,000, which I make as 0.021% per year. This would be magnitudes higher. Possible, but I more likely dodgy stats I think. 

I'm not downplaying the issue, mental health in the US is even lower priority than here.

In the cheery news, there is a report in the Guardian today that human activity has wiped out 60% of  the population of wild animals since my birth year. Also Canadian glaciers are retreating faster than the worst predictions, and by 2030 there will be more plastic in the sea by weight than fish.

Not two fucks will be given by anyone who matters.

Quick wiki search suggests latest estimate is 20 vets a day which over 17 years just about gets there. 

On the bigger picture thing I think Gemmill has it right - pointless even attempting to fix the future now. We're fucked, plain an simple. 

(Short of immediate development of fusion and fusion powered ftl drives leading to fucking off). 

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm not downplaying the issue, mental health in the US is even lower priority than here.

In the cheery news, there is a report in the Guardian today that human activity has wiped out 60% of  the population of wild animals since my birth year. Also Canadian glaciers are retreating faster than the worst predictions, and by 2030 there will be more plastic in the sea by weight than fish.

Not two fucks will be given by anyone who matters.

some scientists reckon there will be no fish left in our oceans by 2050.

no mention of climate change AT ALL in yesterday's budget speech.

Edited by Dr Gloom

46 minutes ago, Ant said:

someone took a photo it seems got it on google, this building is the wee portacabin changing rooms for the footy pitches there, some teams are alright, they just have to use what pitches are available to them but aye not the most impartial place to play with that +30 drinking spectators  who may not like a ref's decision etc, fairly intimidating. 

DVG8oPsW4AEc5TN.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.5801367,-5.6979175,3a,33.6y,237.72h,86.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjIuR9-Dx9mJA035LLOGXJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And people say the Irish border issue is no big deal.

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Eh? 

dull John Redwood? 

Implying Redwood couldn’t send an entire arena  in to a coma simply by walking up to the dais. 

Oh god no, Redwoods dull as fuck. This guy seems even duller. No nothing about him other than 2 mins of that vid.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Interesting, I'll watch it. Which bits stuck out for you?

Lewis is just very sharp. A lot of what Peterson days is thought provoking but I’m broadly in her camp, like her I consider myself to be a social democrat, and she does a good job going head to head with a provocative, and slightly oddball, classic liberal and religious nuter who survives on a diet solely made up of dead cow.

There’s one moment, I can’t remember what they were discussing, when she talks him into a corner and all he can come back with is “good luck with that”, or something.

Whatever you think of either of their positions, it’s a fascinating head to head. Unlike Newman, Lewis did her research and thinks much more quickly on her feet. Like mind. I’m only about half way in.