What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

You've made a rare miss-step on the Sleaford Mods by the way. Best live band in the UK at the moment

Are they though Bob? For me about 1 in 10 songs actually hits the mark, the rest is very old man yelling at the sky - and I love the Fall, so that tells you a lot!

And you can't really call them a band, one member does vocals, the other presses play on his laptop while shuffling away with a can in his hand, hardly a band.

This popped up on the latest Norman Records mailer.

Edited by sammynb

41 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Are they though Bob? For me about 1 in 10 songs actually hits the mark, the rest is very old man yelling at the sky - and I love the Fall, so that tells you a lot!

And you can't really call them a band, one member does vocals, the other presses start on hit laptop while shuffling away with a can in his hand, hardly a band.

This popped up on the latest Norman Records mailer.

See them live that's all I can say. There recordings don't really do them justice, though knowledge of the songs does improve the experience

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

See them live that's all I can say. There recordings don't really do them justice, though knowledge of the songs does improve the experience

Confession time :blush:

They toured here a couple of months ago and while they were in Sydney they did an in-store at an indie record shop that I've been buying from for 40 odd years, so I'm known to them. Anyway they asked if I wanted to go, which would have included a chance to meet the Sleaford "chaps", obviously I said no.

Okay it was 4pm on a Friday afternoon and I was working but I could have got there, if I really wanted to, and if you'd imparted this important information sooner, instead of leaving me filled with regret over missed opportunities, etc, etc.

Thanks Bob!

Yeah I think I'll still pass.

See The Streets has released a new album? Yeah can't be fucked with that either.

This is good:

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

I wouldn't read their poetry book, mind.

It would be short but knowing the 65'ers they'd take it upon themselves to create either poetry in code or amazing schematics of how music falls from the air in different climates in various moon cycles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2023 at 19:11, JawD said:

100% I mean I just started here and then I listened to the Tale of Jenny & Screatch.  So on and so on.  Then I came across his busking stuff, the I shot the sherrif / hip hop damn is outstanding.  Then his work with Chinchilla.  Agree some is very heavy (recent track, Suicide) more so when you know his back-story.  Cant wait to see where he goes next, 

Number 1 in the album charts, as it turns out. Beating Rick Astley in the process. :lol: Canny.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Number 1 in the album charts, as it turns out. Beating Rick Astley in the process. :lol: Canny.

And all achieved as an independent artist without a record label, without any traditional promotion, while in Canada getting treatment for his auto immune condition.

Pretty amazing really 👍

Was at the SAY awards last night doing my absolute best to lower the tone. Was so comically poor even my presence failed to lower the tone. The only real saving grace of the whole event was Dead Pony performance and reasonably priced alcohol.

Young Fathers won for the third time, plus an honorary award for Paulo Nutini who wasnae even there and hosted in a town with absolutely no music scene at all. All hilariously compounded by the actual award being being created by a concrete sculptor which looked suspiciously like those white dog turds that used to be ever present on pavements nationwide. 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.946cc19929c44961910ddab519b770c5.jpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Just watching ToTP 1995.

How the fuck did Robson and Jerome make it to number 1 and fucking stay there :lol: 

5 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

People are idiots

• Haha 5