What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Aye some absolute classics in that lot Chez. I think it was more 80's chart music that was being attacked. I know a lot of this bands had big hits (certainly Talking Heads, Talk Talk, Prince, The Cure) but they are probably more known for alumbs or cult following.

Depeche Mode were my favourite band for a while. Loved Violator. What an album. 101 was a class live album from a couple of years before that. Just Can't Get Enough is shit mind. Although I like Vince Clarke and speaking of which, Yazoo were class.

I love JCGE, I think the 80's were great for that type of music making odd appearences in the charts.

Aye some absolute classics in that lot Chez. I think it was more 80's chart music that was being attacked. I know a lot of this bands had big hits (certainly Talking Heads, Talk Talk, Prince, The Cure) but they are probably more known for alumbs or cult following.

90s were my favourite decade for music for obvious reasons I suppose but the chart music was often fucking abysmal then too.

2 albums i've listened to loads recently.

Paul Simon -Graceland

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Mainstream, top 40, parents loved it music. Still utterly brilliant today.

Was listening to Graceland in the car this morning. I only heard it for the first time last year I think but it's an amazing album.

The Smiths

The Cure

The Stone Roses

The Happy Mondays

The Wonder Stuff

Prince

All solid picks from Chez's list. Some others that I dabbled in but these were my mainstays. I loved The Wonder Stuff. Miles Hunt still churns some decent enough solo stuff out from time to time.

I included the Soup Dragons, although a bit obscure they were very popular in Newcastle. Doing a great comeback on CBeebies too.

Yazoo! I knew i'd forgotten someone.

The Thomson Twins

Thomas Dolby

and ffs

The Dead Kennedys.

Depeche Mode were my favourite band for a while. Loved Violator. What an album. 101 was a class live album from a couple of years before that. Just Can't Get Enough is shit mind. Although I like Vince Clarke and speaking of which, Yazoo were class.

No love for Erasure?

I think it was more 80's chart music that was being attacked.

See that's the thing, chart music in general is crap no matter what the decade.

Problem is certain people only seem to know the crap and for that the 80s was full of it.

2 albums i've listened to loads recently.

Paul Simon -Graceland

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Mainstream, top 40, parents loved it music. Still utterly brilliant today.

Take Money for Nothing and walk of life out of BIA and its a classic, the title track alone is a masterpiece :good:

Graceland was a bit meh for me but I appreciate it more nowadays..

Would it be fair to say that the music that is played as representatives of the 80s, is shit?

If I were to ask a cabbie what his favourite 80's band was, I would be surprised if he said Husker Du, he's more likely to say Kajagoogoo(sp?)

No love for Erasure?

See that's the thing, chart music in general is crap no matter what the decade.

Problem is certain people only seem to know the crap and for that the 80s was full of it.

:lol:

I'll be honest, I did like them. Back in middle school like. I don't think they were shit but they're just a poor man's Yazoo really. I reckon Andy Bell got picked for sounding a bit like Alison Moyet.

Once you've added in punk, late Ska and Reggae, Chicago House, the Ibiza music revolution, 1989 at the Hacienda and the birth of rave then the case for the 80s being by far the best decade for music rests.

The Dead Kennedys.

Black Flag

Ministry

NIN

Skinny Puppy

Lard

KMFDM

Nitzer Ebb

Severed Heads

The Birthday Party

The Triffids

Go Betweens

Laughing Clowns

This list could go on forever.

:lol:

I'll be honest, I did like them. Back in middle school like. I don't think they were shit but they're just a poor man's Yazoo really. I reckon Andy Bell got picked for sounding a bit like Alison Moyet.

Lad I know is mad keen on Erasure and bought the actual gold trousers worn by... not Andy Bell

Once you've added in punk, late Ska and Reggae, Chicago House, the Ibiza music revolution, 1989 at the Hacienda and the birth of rave then the case for the 80s being by far the best decade for music rests.

And New York House / Garage, baby. Oft neglected in terms of its influence compared to it's Chicago brethren.

Talking Heads

The Smiths

The Cure

The Stone Roses

The Happy Mondays

Sonic Youth

Mudhoney

The Fall

Pixies

New Order / Joy Division

Depeche Mode

Beastie Boys

Public Enemy

I could go on.

There was no need to after you mentioned The Fall. Literally the worst music ever committed to a recording device.

Black Flag

Ministry

NIN

Skinny Puppy

Lard

KMFDM

Nitzer Ebb

Severed Heads

The Birthday Party

The Triffids

Go Betweens

Laughing Clowns

This list could go on forever.

Used to love Ministry. Faith No More were fucking mint too, if we're talking 80s shit.

If I were to ask a cabbie what his favourite 80's band was, I would be surprised if he said Husker Du, he's more likely to say Kajagoogoo(sp?)

Not in Sydney, you'd either get some obscure punk band or

Not in Sydney, you'd either get some obscure punk band or

In Sydney I'd probably not be able to hear the music over the sound of the cabbie telling me how amazing his cricket team is, despite my stating I couldn't give a toss about 20 minutes earlier ;)

In Sydney I'd probably not be able to hear the music over the sound of the cabbie telling me how amazing his cricket team is, despite my stating I couldn't give a toss about 20 minutes earlier ;)

Bullshit, you'd be to busy sniffing around the sweaty underwear of a posh Leeds lass before her Scottish boyfriend saw you.

edit: And most of our cricket loving cabbies support India or Pakistan.

Edited by sammynb

90s were my favourite decade for music for obvious reasons I suppose but the chart music was often fucking abysmal then too.

Of course. On pointless last week they had a question on the top 40 best selling songs by female artists in this country and BWitched was fucking in there man!

Bullshit, you'd be to busy sniffing around the sweaty underwear of a posh Leeds lass before her Scottish boyfriend saw you.

:hi:

She end up marrying him?

Aye. Fucking weird wedding because she's an absolute basketcase. Definitely a better cautionary tale against the dangers of drug abuse than Zammo. But, Free bar, so :dunno:

There was no need to after you mentioned The Fall. Literally the worst music ever committed to a recording device.

You can go finger your own ring to appalling Eurovision ditties if you dont like The Fall.

:D Seriously though, I'm no CT when it comes to alternative music, but if I want to listen to a man shouting atonally for between two and eighteen minutes I can go to Lewisham High Street whenever I want to.