What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

:lol:

Was at that game btw

I reckon I must have been too, if only because by that point my dad tended not to buy programmes unless I nagged him to, but can I fuck remember anything about it.

This, on the other hand...

11325210_841951842555333_288084309_n.jpg

Every decade influences another naturally, Kate Bush is one of my favourite artists and she went on to influence current "chart music" that I dislike (Florence and the Machine as an example). Wasnt all bad as I say. Cocteau Twins I like and rose to fame in the 80s but are far from what I class as shit chart music in that era.

But wasn't your comment?

But the 80s were fucking shit (mostly) and still to the day I have a general dislike of chart music.

Level 42 is an acceptable guilty pleasure.

80s chart music yes but where do you think all this chart stuff in the 90s started?

Sonic Youth, New Order, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Cabaret Voltaire, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, etc etc all came out of the 80s

Agreed, for me the 80s was a great decade for music but not for any reason CT could come up with. The post punk early 80s in particular was a great time for innovative and interesting artists. Perhaps not musically as such, but the likes of Culture Club were properly "out there", in fact most weeks on TOTP there seemded to be someone who was doing something very different to what had gone before; Soft Cell, Hazel O'Connor, Human League, early Simple Minds, Echo and the Bunnymen etc etc. Most if not all heavily influenced by Bowie. Even properly mainstream bands like Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran wrote killer pop songs and could all play pretty well live too. They piss on the likes of Take That and their irish imitators iyam.

But wasn't your comment?

Yeah, I dislike most chart music then and now. By that I mean the popular reknown stuff that springs to most peoples minds.

The 80s produced some cracking tracks that were still in the charts, Buffalo Girls, Ghost Town, When Doves Cry but against those, We built this city & some Rick Astley stuff got to no 1 :lol:

Yeah, I dislike most chart music then and now. By that I mean the popular reknown stuff that springs to most peoples minds.

The 80s produced some cracking tracks that were still in the charts, Buffalo Girls, Ghost Town, When Doves Cry but against those, We built this city & some Rick Astley stuff got to no 1 :lol:

It's always been like that though, not just in the 80s. Mind, 1981 is a bit of a treat - Ghost Town gets to number 1 for three weeks and reaches #11 on the chart of the year, the top three of the year are a reasonably credible Soft Cell plus 2x Adam and the Ants, but the top ten is also fleshed out by Bucks Fizz, Shakin' Stevens, Joe Dolce and the Birdie Song. :D

Okay that's where I think we've crossed wires as yes chart music is 99% of the time shite and my 80s music experience generally excluded chart music - although in 1985 I did see Queen, Spandau Ballet, The Style Council and Howard Jones live.

Anyway back to some decent music.

I reckon I must have been too, if only because by that point my dad tended not to buy programmes unless I nagged him to, but can I fuck remember anything about it.

This, on the other hand...

Pretty sure KK played (came on as sub) and did a bow to the Gallowgate, Waddle and Gazza played too I think.

Used to go to a canny few athletics meets at Gateshead too as it happens.

There's still a load of 80's chart music I like tbf. Adam Ant, The Housemartins, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys etc. I mean I've moved on massively with what music I would actually put on to listen to but if Happy Hour, Goody Two Shoes or even a bit Cuddly Toy comes on in the pub I'm more than happy to hear it. Don't even mind a lot of the SA&W stuff but I suppose that's more in an ironic way.

Edited by David Kelly

Talking Heads

The Smiths

The Cure

The Stone Roses

The Happy Mondays

Sonic Youth

Mudhoney

The Fall

Pixies

New Order / Joy Division

Depeche Mode

Beastie Boys

Public Enemy

I could go on.

Three 70s band there but a defining list for the 80s naysayers.

The Smiths

The Cure

The Stone Roses

The Happy Mondays

The Wonder Stuff

Prince

All solid picks from Chez's list. Some others that I dabbled in but these were my mainstays. I loved The Wonder Stuff. Miles Hunt still churns some decent enough solo stuff out from time to time.

Depeche Mode were my favourite band for a while. Loved Violator. What an album. 101 was a class live album from a couple of years before that. Just Can't Get Enough is shit mind. Although I like Vince Clarke and speaking of which, Yazoo were class.