The crowd at St James'

aimaad22

Its all kicking off in here isn't it!!! :unsure:

I think there is two seperate issues here.

One that people are entitled to be pissed off when somebody who doesn't go to the match criticises those who do go and suffer the shite we're being served up these days.

Two that what he actually said is right in the sense that the piss poor atmosphere, moaning, getting on players backs, booing and generally offering little or no support does indeed help the opposition and when we are struggling the crowd gets worse, then the team gets worse and so on.

Obviously the team themselves have the major part to play in the results we achieve but the atmosphere of old would certainly help them out, but those days are long gone. I mean it was only a very small minority but i heard people booing the team off at half time yetsreday FFS. We'd played some good football, had no luck and were doing well, but the fact we weren't already 4 or 5-0 up and playing like Barcelona meant they felt the need to boo the players by half time. Still look at the storming second half performances we've seen this season to show exactly how much booing players before the end inspires them! :(

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And patrokles seems to have been hired to get rid of me it seems. Have to say it was a rather poor appointment because he cant seem to come up with more than one line answers that just say, "Fuck off' or "Go to hell". Will have to do a bit better than that.

Don't patronise me, little man, because I'd run rings around you any time, any place. I just feel that your posts merit little more than a simple two word response.

:unsure:

............................................ at any particular game unless you were there yourself and had to put up with the same shit we had to.

You know, what with instant-replay, when you're watching the game on television you have to put up with the same shit you did over and over again :unsure:

Jesus, that's an appalling counter-argument. Turns out it's worse watching the match at home because of instant replay.

Far from appalling Mr. Gemmell and certainly not a counter-argument but attendees at SJP will only see a goal scored against us but once whilst us demented folk watching on telly will see it from every fucking angle they have a camera placed :(

Its all kicking off in here isn't it!!! :unsure:

I think there is two seperate issues here.

One that people are entitled to be pissed off when somebody who doesn't go to the match criticises those who do go and suffer the shite we're being served up these days.

Two that what he actually said is right in the sense that the piss poor atmosphere, moaning, getting on players backs, booing and generally offering little or no support does indeed help the opposition and when we are struggling the crowd gets worse, then the team gets worse and so on.

Obviously the team themselves have the major part to play in the results we achieve but the atmosphere of old would certainly help them out, but those days are long gone. I mean it was only a very small minority but i heard people booing the team off at half time yetsreday FFS. We'd played some good football, had no luck and were doing well, but the fact we weren't already 4 or 5-0 up and playing like Barcelona meant they felt the need to boo the players by half time. Still look at the storming second half performances we've seen this season to show exactly how much booing players before the end inspires them! :(

Pretty much what i was thinking

Gemmill's 100% spot on tbh. I don't know how people who don't plough their money in to watch this garbage dare criticize those who do.

I was the one who got rid of NewJerseyMag in the end cos I kept giving him such a hard time over what a wanker he was. My proudest moment tbh.

Good old democracy :unsure:

Gemmil is spot on. Only a cheeky twat would slag off someone when they're doing no more themselves.

Having said that, the booing pissed me off. I made a point of clapping a bit longer and louder because we did everything but score and booing was OTT IMO.

Gemmill's 100% spot on with this one. Fair enough, criticise the abysmal shite that is served up on the pitch but having a go at the crowd? Jesus, they've paid their money they're entitled to say what they want (or don't) within the ground.

This is not me advocating boo-ing BTW, there's no place for that, but all this "12th man for the opposition" shite is patronism of the highest order.

If the people who are going to the matches aren't doing what you want them to do then charter a plane and get your sorry arse over here and show them what they should be doing.

I don't get to many games, but I did get there yesterday and I thought the atmosphere was par for the course given what is being served up.

The Ultras, whilst still having a shit name, gave their best and there was plenty of encouragement from everyone to get a winner towards the end.

Also, there was no booing until the final whistle had blown which in my opinion is fair enough.

Edited by nufc4ever

Gemmil is spot on. Only a cheeky twat would slag off someone when they're doing no more themselves.

Having said that, the booing pissed me off. I made a point of clapping a bit longer and louder because we did everything but score and booing was OTT IMO.

Nail on head, he seems to like to respond to reason with pomposity like "what a silly question". The bloke seems a bit of a bigot, and all, every argument he can't help but veer into anti-British or anti-West territory. He even disregarded something I said as the mad ramblings of an Englishman. :unsure:

Edited by ObaGol

Suppose somebody murders a person at St James' one day. So I would have no right in saying he did something wrong because I wasnt there? What this about rights? Ive got the right to say whatever I like. I would have thought the murder was wrong and I would have said it. I think the booing was wrong so I said it. I didnt even insult a fan or say that they're asses for doing this, all I said was that this does the teams performance no good and they should hold thier frustration till the game ends. But I still manager to draw out a reaction from the likes of Gemmil that suggested I had insulted his mother.

Gemmill's 100% spot on tbh. I don't know how people who don't plough their money in to watch this garbage dare criticize those who do.

I was the one who got rid of NewJerseyMag in the end cos I kept giving him such a hard time over what a wanker he was. My proudest moment tbh.

Good old democracy :unsure:

I'm guessing Wullie means NJM "resigned" after being made to look a fool again and again, rather than Wullie used mod powers to ban him. I might be wrong though.

Either way NJM was the biggest twat going. Not only was he vociferous in his support of Souness, he actually blamed our poor performances on the match-going fans, claiming they were responsible for the the shit we all have had to put up with. All this while he is sitting comfortably in New Jersey, some 5000 miles away.

Suppose somebody murders a person at St James' one day. So I would have no right in saying he did something wrong because I wasnt there? What this about rights? Ive got the right to say whatever I like. I would have thought the murder was wrong and I would have said it. I think the booing was wrong so I said it. I didnt even insult a fan or say that they're asses for doing this, all I said was that this does the teams performance no good and they should hold thier frustration till the game ends. But I still manager to draw out a reaction from the likes of Gemmil that suggested I had insulted his mother.

Psst... try mentioning Hitler too, it wins every argument!

Yesterday was my first home game of the season - considering the performance I thought the crowd were actually quite good - but then again maybe leaning towards indifference is worse than all out rebellion.

Unlike you, I was there yesterday and I can categorically say there was no booing whatsoever until the final whistle, when boong is perfectly acceptable imo. You have absolutely no rights to criticise the people going to the match when you have no way of knowing what actually happened, let alone contributed anything yourself. Actually, you do have the right to say what you think (which is based on what, exactly?), but that doesn't mean you aren't talking absolute bollocks, does it?

That's not all you said.

And they did. If you knew what happened, you could comment.

Unlike you, I was there yesterday and I can categorically say there was no booing whatsoever until the final whistle, when boong is perfectly acceptable imo. You have absolutely no rights to criticise the people going to the match when you have no way of knowing what actually happened, let alone contributed anything yourself. Actually, you do have the right to say what you think (which is based on what, exactly?), but that doesn't mean you aren't talking absolute bollocks, does it?

Have know way of knowing what had happened? What do you think Im sitting in an Igloo here?

Have know way of knowing what had happened? What do you think Im sitting in an Igloo here?

Why is it that armchair fans can't accept that the reason people actually do go to games is ther might possibly be a difference in the experience ie real versus imaginary?

Why is it that armchair fans can't accept that the reason people actually do go to games is ther might possibly be a difference in the experience ie real versus imaginary?

There is. But that doesnt mean the full picture doesnt come out on the TV. Plus there's the internet etc these days through which you can really get to know what happened from the eyes of people who were there cant you?

Yesterday was my first home game of the season - considering the performance I thought the crowd were actually quite good - but then again maybe leaning towards indifference is worse than all out rebellion.

I'd pretty much agree with that. That was the first league game I'd been to this season, and the crowd wasn't bad, until it became painfully obvious that we weren't going to break them down, and that Charlton were starting to get back into the game.

When there's nowt to cheer, what can you do, the team have to give your something to get your enthusiasm going. The team had no enthusiasm yesterday, so it can't be surprising that the crowd don't have any.

we were unlucky yesterday, only boo'ing was at the end

unfair to have a go at the crowd if you werent there like

espeically when there was a decent bit of atmosphere yesterday, the boo'ing was frustration at the final whistle, we could have played for another 90 minutes and not scored

espeically when there was a decent bit of atmosphere yesterday, the boo'ing was frustration at the final whistle, we could have played for another 90 minutes and not scored

I obviously wasn't there, but that's exactly how I imagined it would be. Like I was, people must have felt somewhat upbeat about taking a break from ridiculous results and finally bagging 3 points with the team bottom of the league coming to town.

Only for NUFC to serve up one of their anticlimactic delusion specials.