The crowd at St James'

aimaad22

Suppose somebody murders a person at St James' one day. So I would have no right in saying he did something wrong because I wasnt there? What this about rights? Ive got the right to say whatever I like. I would have thought the murder was wrong and I would have said it. I think the booing was wrong so I said it. I didnt even insult a fan or say that they're asses for doing this, all I said was that this does the teams performance no good and they should hold thier frustration till the game ends. But I still manager to draw out a reaction from the likes of Gemmil that suggested I had insulted his mother.

Unlike you, I was there yesterday and I can categorically say there was no booing whatsoever until the final whistle, when boong is perfectly acceptable imo. You have absolutely no rights to criticise the people going to the match when you have no way of knowing what actually happened, let alone contributed anything yourself. Actually, you do have the right to say what you think (which is based on what, exactly?), but that doesn't mean you aren't talking absolute bollocks, does it?

Have know way of knowing what had happened? What do you think Im sitting in an Igloo here?

Please enlighten me how it is possible to gauge the atmoshere at the game while watching it on TV, and also please tell me how you can know what effect this will have on the team? Please tell me how you think there was booing before the final whistle when no-one on here who actually went to the match heard it? Please tell me what you actually contribute to NUFC compared to the thousands of fans yesterday who have spent hundreds or thousands of pounds of their own money on the club in the last few years?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that armchair fans can't accept that the reason people actually do go to games is ther might possibly be a difference in the experience ie real versus imaginary?

Not quite sure exactly what you mean here but as an 'armchair-fan' I can assure you that I for one am well aware of the difference between real versus imaginary.

The main difference between going to a match versus armchair-watching is ATMOSPHERE!

Atmosphere cannot be duplicated via a TV screen no matter how high you turn up the volume, even if you are in a room with other expat Geordies who are as crestfallen or elated as you are. There is NO substitute for the atmosphere at SJP so expat supporters have to make-do with the next best thing, TV viewing, computer streams, text commentaries, or match reports from your site of choice.

SO, don't come down on us too hard for voicing opinions based on what we see or hear via the media, with which you don't agree with, and please don't view us as 3rd. Class fans because we don't live there. :unsure:

Why is it that armchair fans can't accept that the reason people actually do go to games is ther might possibly be a difference in the experience ie real versus imaginary?

Not quite sure exactly what you mean here but as an 'armchair-fan' I can assure you that I for one am well aware of the difference between real versus imaginary.

The main difference between going to a match versus armchair-watching is ATMOSPHERE!

Atmosphere cannot be duplicated via a TV screen no matter how high you turn up the volume, even if you are in a room with other expat Geordies who are as crestfallen or elated as you are. There is NO substitute for the atmosphere at SJP so expat supporters have to make-do with the next best thing, TV viewing, computer streams, text commentaries, or match reports from your site of choice.

SO, don't come down on us too hard for voicing opinions based on what we see or hear via the media, with which you don't agree with, and please don't view us as 3rd. Class fans because we don't live there. :(

It works both ways - those that haven't been to a match should not criticise those that have. I find it utterly amazing I even have to say this.

And iirc, aimaad22 is not an expat, he is someone who has never been to SJP, or possibly any other major football stadium, in his life. :unsure:

We should have been 3 up at half time, we should have had a couple early 2nd half, then we went tits up and it looked like we were going to let a total stack of shit team back into a game they should have had no right to. So, I think it's pretty acceptable for fans to feel pretty fucking edgy last 10 minutes don't you like? And has everyone WHO WAS THERE has said, the support was alright yesterday and the booing (which I don't agree with) didn't start till the final whistle.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

Gemmill's 100% spot on tbh. I don't know how people who don't plough their money in to watch this garbage dare criticize those who do.

I was the one who got rid of NewJerseyMag in the end cos I kept giving him such a hard time over what a wanker he was. My proudest moment tbh.

Good old democracy :unsure:

I'm guessing Wullie means NJM "resigned" after being made to look a fool again and again, rather than Wullie used mod powers to ban him. I might be wrong though.

Either way NJM was the biggest twat going. Not only was he vociferous in his support of Souness, he actually blamed our poor performances on the match-going fans, claiming they were responsible for the the shit we all have had to put up with. All this while he is sitting comfortably in New Jersey, some 5000 miles away.

Aye that was what I meant, it was before I was a mod anyway.

Suppose somebody murders a person at St James' one day. So I would have no right in saying he did something wrong because I wasnt there? What this about rights? Ive got the right to say whatever I like. I would have thought the murder was wrong and I would have said it. I think the booing was wrong so I said it. I didnt even insult a fan or say that they're asses for doing this, all I said was that this does the teams performance no good and they should hold thier frustration till the game ends. But I still manager to draw out a reaction from the likes of Gemmil that suggested I had insulted his mother.

Psst... try mentioning Hitler too, it wins every argument!

To be fair to the lad, he's never heard of him! :unsure:

Unlike you, I was there yesterday and I can categorically say there was no booing whatsoever until the final whistle, when boong is perfectly acceptable imo. You have absolutely no rights to criticise the people going to the match when you have no way of knowing what actually happened, let alone contributed anything yourself. Actually, you do have the right to say what you think (which is based on what, exactly?), but that doesn't mean you aren't talking absolute bollocks, does it?

Have know way of knowing what had happened? What do you think Im sitting in an Igloo here?

There is. But that doesnt mean the full picture doesnt come out on the TV. Plus there's the internet etc these days through which you can really get to know what happened from the eyes of people who were there cant you?

And is that not what we are doing?

Aimaad22, why don't you just admit you were wrong rather than piling bullshit on top of bullshit?

Some of the stuff you're coming out with is fucking hilarious! You NEVER get the same 'full picture' that you do when you're actually at a match - take it from someone who spent years going to watch Newcastle week in, week out and having to listen to people tell me what I was watching was different to how I'd seen it despite the fact the other person wasn't there.

Aimaad22, why don't you just admit you were wrong rather than piling bullshit on top of bullshit?

Some of the stuff you're coming out with is fucking hilarious! You NEVER get the same 'full picture' that you do when you're actually at a match - take it from someone who spent years going to watch Newcastle week in, week out and having to listen to people tell me what I was watching was different to how I'd seen it despite the fact the other person wasn't there.

I dont think we get the full picture! But a fair enough idea of what was going on you do get.

Look, so maybe my first post came out as pompous. If so excuse me and forgive me, wasnt my intention at all. I made it 10 minutes after the game and I was a fair bit frustrated and perhaps not as careful with words as I should have been.

But some of the response was still unwarranted. It seems to me that leaning towards a slightly different opninon on this board is asking for trouble. Not just my posts, I know you lads think Im crazy, but Ive noticed anybody who seems to have a, lets say 'revolutionary idea' gest a fair bit of stick. This place reminds me of a group of old Grandma's sitting together, everybody sharing their common problems and past experiences with each other and congratulating each other on their wisdom and how well they've done with their kids and all that. Anybody who says 'well, I think this or that could have been done differently' is kicked out.

Im sorry like but thats bollocks, you're throwing your toys out the pram because people disagreed with you.

Yes your first post did come over as pompous and frankly totally patronising but no I dont think people on here were OTT with their replies. Replies were based on the fact that you made out we were in some way to blame for the teams shit performances. Thats what put peoples backs up, the fact is that ANYONE who is thousands of miles away cant tell those there how to react at the time. While you're watching the game on telly do you shout at the screen? do you eff and blind at the many misses and crap long balls?

If no, then why not? Otherwise are you saying its okay for you to do it because the players cant hear you?

I dont think we get the full picture! But a fair enough idea of what was going on you do get.

Look, so maybe my first post came out as pompous. If so excuse me and forgive me, wasnt my intention at all. I made it 10 minutes after the game and I was a fair bit frustrated and perhaps not as careful with words as I should have been.

But some of the response was still unwarranted. It seems to me that leaning towards a slightly different opninon on this board is asking for trouble. Not just my posts, I know you lads think Im crazy, but Ive noticed anybody who seems to have a, lets say 'revolutionary idea' gest a fair bit of stick. This place reminds me of a group of old Grandma's sitting together, everybody sharing their common problems and past experiences with each other and congratulating each other on their wisdom and how well they've done with their kids and all that. Anybody who says 'well, I think this or that could have been done differently' is kicked out.

Thats bollocks and a piss poor argument. People have differing opinions all the time you only have to look at the Robert and Bellamy debates, Gemmills defence of Souness and Leazes infatuation with F Shepherd. I am all for everyone to have their own opinion even if I disagree with it, as I do with yours, however I do expect it to be backed up with some substance rather than going off on a complete tangent and having a dig at the board to back up your opinion..

While you're watching the game on telly do you shout at the screen? do you eff and blind at the many misses and crap long balls?

If no, then why not? Otherwise are you saying its okay for you to do it because the players cant hear you?

Fucking shout at the screen! If aimaad22 is like the rest of us stoopid twats willing to stay up all hour of the evening or travel across the city to watch it with other likeminded edjits at the only pub in town that has the game live, then he wouldn't be f'ing and blind at the screen, he'd be ready to put the fucking coach through the telly in frustration at the diabolical shite being served up to all toon supporters across the world.

Just to add to the shit talked about Newcastle fans, the first thing I heard today when I came in (from a gloating Man U fan originally from Portsmouth), was how it's peculiar to Newcastle that the crowd complain, whinge and scream for handball and penalty much more so than at any other ground in the country.

Quite why this mong had even formed an opinion on this is beyond me. I disagreed with him (as he was basically using it as evidence to support the premise that toon fans are whingers), however afterwards it got me to thinking; if that was the case, surely it just shows how the crowd competes for every decision just like a 12th man. And whats to be ashamed about in that? The fucking retard.

the crowd at home is fairly gash these days and i'm pretty sure those that go to the match week in week out would agree.

but why expect any different with the dross served up? i'm actually surprised that it has taken so long for us to stop selling out every week.

you wouldn't get 50,000 crowds at too many other clubs playing as poor a brand of football as we have the past few seasons.

Just to add to the shit talked about Newcastle fans, the first thing I heard today when I came in (from a gloating Man U fan originally from Portsmouth), was how it's peculiar to Newcastle that the crowd complain, whinge and scream for handball and penalty much more so than at any other ground in the country.

Quite why this mong had even formed an opinion on this is beyond me. I disagreed with him (as he was basically using it as evidence to support the premise that toon fans are whingers), however afterwards it got me to thinking; if that was the case, surely it just shows how the crowd competes for every decision just like a 12th man. And whats to be ashamed about in that? The fucking retard.

I said in a thread a while ago that the reason we get turned down for many penalty appeals is because of our vociferous crowd reaction. I reckon that referees deliberately come to SJP with the resolution that they are going to be 'ultra tough' against they pressure from the crowd and subsequently give incorrect decisions as they 'prove' themselves to be, indeed, 'tough'. I'm sure they get a hard on at how 'tough' they are in the face of such pressure.

Just my opinion, like.

I said in a thread a while ago that the reason we get turned down for many penalty appeals is because of our vociferous crowd reaction. I reckon that referees deliberately come to SJP with the resolution that they are going to be 'ultra tough' against they pressure from the crowd and subsequently give incorrect decisions as they 'prove' themselves to be, indeed, 'tough'. I'm sure they get a hard on at how 'tough' they are in the face of such pressure.

Just my opinion, like.

Dunno about that. If we appeal for dodgy decisions then there probably is a higher ratio of claims getting turned down be refs because they werent pens in the first place. Thats inevitable and theres nowt wrong with it. As for being deprived of legitimate pens at home I dont think we suffer any more than many other clubs at the wrong end of the table. That happens when youre down in the shit playing shit football. Not the other way around.

If it's true that we're more vocal then I dont have any problem with it whatsoever. My main problem was the mentality of someone who would walk from his own office, interrupt my work (I do some occasionally), with his team riding high and having put in a top class performance at the weekend.......purely for the purposes of making that observation.