Anyone know what to do about a bad knee?

Tom_NUFC

I've hurt me knee somehow, but I've no idea how.

It feels like its twisted or sprained or something, but it doesn't seem to be inflamed. I don't know what the hell I've done. I haven't fallen over, it hasn't buckled or anything like that.

I went for a long walk down Jesmond Dene yesterday, but it was no further distance wise than when I walk into town which I do regularly. I suppose it was a bit more hilly, but I was fine and I could understand maybe my legs aching a bit, but its only my left knee, the rest of the leg, and the right leg and knee are fine.

I felt it aching a bit last night but didn't think much of it, woke up this morning in agony.

I've had it in a hot bath, I've had a bag of frozen mango chunks on it, and some ibuprofen gel, but as I say, it doesn't seem to be swollen.

I tore my medial ligament a couple of months ago. It fucking hurt. But I'm tough and accepted it.

What I couldn't accept was the physio shaving my leg to put the tape on it. Felt like a puff.

The hair has grown back now, thankfully.

(Smart arsed comment)

You fecked up your knee. Amputate immediately.

(Not so smart arsed comment)

Ice it the first 24 hours, warmth after. Ibuprofen 400-600 mg. Q 4-6 hrs as needed. Elevate and rest. It might not be swollen on the surface but you've obviously done something. Give it a few days, stay off it as much as possible and if it doesn't resolve itself get it checked. You don't have to do strenuous or lengthy exercise to pull a tendon or ligament and I'm inclined to say that's what you've done. A simple twist can do the job. Hope you feel better quickly.

(Smart arsed comment)

Ice it the first 24 hours, warmth after. Ibuprofen 400-600 mg. Q 4-6 hrs as needed. Elevate and rest. It might not be swollen on the surface but you've obviously done something. Give it a few days, stay off it as much as possible and if it doesn't resolve itself get it checked. You don't have to do strenuous or lengthy exercise to pull a tendon or ligament and I'm inclined to say that's what you've done. A simple twist can do the job. Hope you feel better quickly.

SKNEEAGAIN

(Smart arsed comment)

SKNEEAGAIN

One of your better ones sweetie. :razz:

Edited by Mags

fucked my ankle a while back and it's still buggered and of course it's the only oneI ever go over on these days, prolonging the discomfort

I've had a bag of frozen mango chunks on it, and it doesn't seem to be swollen.

:razz:

Well, I looked in the freezer for some frozen peas, but there were none, so Mango Chunks it is.

Cheers Mags.

I'll give the ibuprofen a go, and get the Mango chunks back out I think.

If you really kneed to know go see a physio.

It could be anything from torn cartilage to a partial tear of a medial ligament to a ruptured acl.

The questions you kneed to ask yourself are:

Does it only hurt in a certain area of the movement range?

Does it hurt walking up hill? Down hill? Both up and down hill?

When walking does it hyper extend (kick back further than usual)?

The best bit is when you go see the doctor/physio and they gently pull on the lower half of your leg and it moves without dragging the rest of you down the bed!

I tore my medial ligament a couple of months ago. It fucking hurt. But I'm tough and accepted it.

What I couldn't accept was the physio shaving my leg to put the tape on it. Felt like a puff.

Due to my heart thing I had to have regular ECG's. for which the nurses had to shave a ptch of my chest. One of them thought it would be funny to shave the patch in the shape of a heart. So the others decided to follow suit. Kept the wife amused for ages.

Due to my heart thing I had to have regular ECG's. for which the nurses had to shave a ptch of my chest. One of them thought it would be funny to shave the patch in the shape of a heart. So the others decided to follow suit. Kept the wife amused for ages.

We would never do such a thing!! :razz:

Must remember to try that one :razz:

That's just got me thinking actually. If we do anything other than minor surgery on anyone we have to put a diathermy pad on their thigh to keep them 'earthed' when we use the cut/cautery settings. We usually have to shave a patch on the thighs of blokes so it'll stick and they always panic when they wake up wondering what the hell we've done. Might shave a pretty pattern the next time :razz: