Cooking

Gemmill

I love chilli, have it usually twice a week. Use Bhut Jolikia (sometimes known as Naga Jolokia). The hottest chilli on earth at over 1,000,000 scoville units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

I have, once, burned my stomach. :huh:

You're fucking crazy eating those man TS, no way in hell can you possibly taste the dish...

I tried some salsa the other week that was made with Scotch Bonnets and they were too over-powering.

I'm tempted to add a bit of chocolate to my next one, anyone ever tried it before? :huh:

Aye. You put it in instead of a bit of sugar. All you want is a couple of squares of high cocoa content stuff.

I'm tempted to add a bit of chocolate to my next one, anyone ever tried it before? :huh:

Aye. You put it in instead of a bit of sugar. All you want is a couple of squares of high cocoa content stuff.

I can't be doing with recipes that smugly say "use a little [ridiculously obscure ingredient] from your store cupboard", but 85% Green & Black's is something I can do. Will give it a bash next time round. :nufc:

I can't be doing with recipes that smugly say "use a little [ridiculously obscure ingredient] from your store cupboard", but 85% Green & Black's is something I can do. Will give it a bash next time round. :nufc:

I don't think it does a lot to the taste that sugar wouldn't obviously but it just seems to make it a bit richer in colour and so on. Another tip (from Jamie Oliver this time) is to make your own paste instead of adding tomato puree by blitzing sun-dried tomatoes and a de-seeded fresh chili or two. It doesn't really give it that much heat but I also use dried chilli flakes and a bit of Tabasco too. They all give slightly different tastes to the mix. Like you I reckon it tastes even better the next day.

The recipe I use involves cinnamon sticks and Worcester sauce and god knows what else. It's remarkable how many permutations there are when you consider the end result is just a load of spicy mush with some beans in it. :huh:

The recipe I use involves cinnamon sticks and Worcester sauce and god knows what else. It's remarkable how many permutations there are when you consider the end result is just a load of spicy mush with some beans in it. :huh:

They're my favourite dishes though, where you can hoy (within reason) what you like in and you have to be a moron to really fuck it up. Bolognese is the same.

They're my favourite dishes though, where you can hoy (within reason) what you like in and you have to be a moron to really fuck it up. Bolognese is the same.

Actually, I wouldn't say no if anyone's got any bolognese/lasagna sauce tips - the recipes I've tried have been decent but lacking something and I'm buggered if I know what.

Actually, I wouldn't say no if anyone's got any bolognese/lasagna sauce tips - the recipes I've tried have been decent but lacking something and I'm buggered if I know what.

You can have mine but I use quorn mince. :nufc: I'll pm you it anyway though :nufc:

I like using port instead of red wine for a bolognese sauce, makes it a little sweeter. :nufc:

I like using port instead of red wine for a bolognese sauce, makes it a little sweeter. :nufc:

Haven't used that but Martini Rosso is another good one (similar really).

I use three or four types of chilli in one dish, to give a balanced and consistent heat that is present immediately and lasts as the dish ages. Although occasionally chilli is hotter the next day, invariably the heat is lost over time. This just means I have to add Blair's Original Death Sauce or similar to lift it back up again.

I use three or four types of chilli in one dish, to give a balanced and consistent heat that is present immediately and lasts as the dish ages. Although occasionally chilli is hotter the next day, invariably the heat is lost over time. This just means I have to add Blair's Original Death Sauce or similar to lift it back up again.

Last seen fuelling a Weapon of Mass Destruction somewhere near Baghdad :huh:

Wor lass made a lush seafood lasagne the other week if you want to try something a bit different than the usual lasagne.

The recipe I use involves cinnamon sticks and Worcester sauce and god knows what else. It's remarkable how many permutations there are when you consider the end result is just a load of spicy mush with some beans in it. :lol:

If you can be arsed to make it, Demi-Glace stock is a great addition to most red meat based sauces.

I make a batch up every few months and freeze it - you only need about a tablespoon per recipe.

Recommend the Jamie Oliver receipe below very highly (especially with roast tatties). Adjust the ingredients and cooking time as this one would feed the 5000. I got a piece of pork shoulder from my local butcher for about £3 and it make a lovely sunday lunch, with enough left over for Sunday night sarnies...

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs...recipe_p_1.html

• 1 month later...

Just made this piece of piss from a Jamie Oliver book and it's quality and dead easy. The chilli gets into everything - even the tomatoes are spicy as fuck. :icon_lol:

One chicken breast, 6 halved cherry tomatoes, 8 sticks of asparagus, all hoyed into a baking tray. Chop one red chili and chuck that in. Drizzle the lot with olive oil and put some salt and pepper on it. Then tip some white wine on it and put it in the oven for 25 minutes. Quality tea.