Cooking

Gemmill

You can make a canny curry by using the pastes that you can buy. Then you can add a bit of fresh chilli, ginger or whatever to suit your tastes.

Instead of cutting the ginger, grate it - world class! :D

Guest alex
You can make a canny curry by using the pastes that you can buy. Then you can add a bit of fresh chilli, ginger or whatever to suit your tastes.

I thought everyone grated it.

How funny is that :lol: I found this thread to ask if anyone had a good curry recipe! Has to be mild though. I had a grand recipe that mum in law gave me years ago which I used to use and cant find now. (making from scratch mind) Last night I used a jar one and added mango chutney, sultanas etc but tbh it wasnt good.

I'm on about the paste in jars rather than the sauce in jars btw. The latter is pretty naff.

Cant recall seeing pastes in jars alex, who makes them? That would be good, I can add what I like then.

Pataks for example. Available in all good supermarkets, as they say. There's some canny recipes on their website too. You can even mix pastes (like madras and tikka) to do a chilli masala etc. Obviously you like the mild ones so if you're doing something like a korma, you also add cream, almonds and so on.

Add a few sprigs of thyme to their Karai sauce with some chicken and it's spot on. :D

They had a big sale of the stuff at the local sainsburys; 72p a jar. My cupboard is full of jars now!

I thought everyone grated it.

No Alex. NO! You thought wrong.

Ginger shouldn't be fried at the start with the garlic but added in the middle (after water) phase.

Edited by Park Life

Guest alex
add a diced Bounty bar to your Korma :D

Not heard that one before. A bit of dark chocolate in a chilli is good though.

Guest alex
add a diced Bounty bar to your Korma :lol:

Coconut milk might do the job like :D

You don't want coconut milk in a korma. It would be like a Thai curry and runnier than a normal korma.

Aye I have it saved.

Like a massive .txt full of them :D

Making one tonight incidentally (not one of Steve's, one from a book), one meat and one veggie but I don't know what yet.

I prefer The Fish' s idea :D

Right I shop at Sainsburys, so will pick up a couple curry paste jars and give them a whirl, thanks.

Right I shop at Sainsburys, so will pick up a couple curry paste jars and give them a whirl, thanks.

Balance it with some fresh ing like garlic, corriander and ginger. Finish with lime rather than lemon.

Balance it with some fresh ing like garlic, corriander and ginger. Finish with lime rather than lemon.

mmm yes I love coriander too. Not sure about garlic in a curry?? I suppose I've only made mild currys in the past with Mango chutney, apple, onion, coconut, cream etc.

Edited by Toonraider

Curry sauces = shite imo.

Make your own for a far better taste. Not to mention the lack of additives and salt in your own curry.

Transfat and oestrogen 1147_tasty_tongue.gif

mmm yes I love coriander too. Not sure about garlic in a curry?? I suppose I've only made mild currys in the past with Mango chutney, apple, onion, coconut, cream etc.

No such thing as a mild curry. I guess you've been making casseroles.

Curry sauces = shite imo.

Make your own for a far better taste. Not to mention the lack of additives and salt in your own curry.

Transfat and oestrogen 1147_tasty_tongue.gif

There should be a transfat window, I agree. :D

• 5 months later...

Inspired by Meenz, I made a chili from scratch tonight!

Fried some mince and onions, then added a teapsoon of a d.i.y. chili mix (I used 2 tsp of paprika, 2 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of thyme, 1/2 tsp allspice and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder to make it. Got enough left over for another chili some other time :nufc: ) and a diced chili pepper. Served with rice and a generous dollop of sour cream.

Magnifique. :huh: Except even though I had washed my hands, I scratched my nose and managed to transfer chili powder to my right nostril. Agony. :nufc: