Cooking

Gemmill

My brother split up with his missus about 5 years ago and almost immediately took up with a fearsome lass from Bari. Even our dear late rather conservative Mancunian mother bowed down to her culinary opinions & customs, such is her prowess in the kitchen. She literally changed the way our whole family looked at food. She’s been furloughed for 12 months and has started her own thing through sheer boredom..we’re all the better for it...

https://instagram.com/raffastiramisu?igshid=1py1ub3d45r5b

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Basically all of those dishes. Do they grow coffee beans? I love red wine, literally never bought an Italian one.

I’m a veggie, which is obviously reflected in my list of favourite Italian dishes, but I hear from a reliable source that do some alright meat stuff too. 

As for red wine, what I would give to be sipping some Chanti classico, Sangiovese or montepulciano in a Tuscan vineyard right now, watching the sun set over the rolling hills. Bloody marvellous  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alex said:

Yeah, Italian cuisine is shit :lol: 

Not as shit as French (cheeses excluded and the fresh baguettes)

Edited by Toonpack

is it not sometimes branded as Sangiovese by the bottle? i might be mistaken but i have done some tastings out in tuscany a few times over the past years and thought it was

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

is it not sometimes branded as Sangiovese by the bottle? i might be mistaken but i have done some tastings out in tuscany a few times over the past years and thought it was

Yes it is, very often.

https://www.jascots.co.uk/p2955/rocca-sangiovese-puglia-italy/?keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGazGobsB0BNijHy1vejomNMrtGbrXYC6XoGpFJYE1qtXiiqzLF0gO4aAlviEALw_wcB

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

7 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

These are an absolutely astonishingly mental last few pages. Heard the “Italian food is shit” take and actually had to go for a lie down

Just to clarify - I was being sarcastic

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

It could be for a Tuscan table wine. It was more just it was a bit superfluous in the case of the other two. Chianti would be all or nearly all Sangiovese anyway. I think it’s the same for Nobile di Montepulciano (nearly all Sangiovese). Those two would labelled themselves as such rather than focus on the varietal(s) as they have DOCG status which is considered more superior in the snobby world of wine. You could get a table wine without that classification which is better than one of the other two though. Almost certainly better value too. A bit like you likely getting better value out of Spanish red that isn’t a Rioja. Actually ‘Super Tuscans’ which have non-traditional (for Italy) varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon in the blend are very highly regarded and pretty amazing (I got a case of six from Aldi a few Christmases back) but are ‘table wines’ because they don’t use the local varieties required for special regional classifications like DOGC. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It could be for a Tuscan table wine. It was more just it was a bit superfluous in the case of the other two. Chianti would be all or nearly all Sangiovese anyway. I think it’s the same for Nobile di Montepulciano (nearly all Sangiovese). Those two would labelled themselves as such rather than focus on the varietal(s) as they have DOCG status which is considered more superior in the snobby world of wine. You could get a table wine without that classification which is better than one of the other two though. Almost certainly better value too. A bit like you likely getting better value out of Spanish red that isn’t a Rioja. Actually ‘Super Tuscans’ which have non-traditional (for Italy) varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon in the blend are very highly regarded and pretty amazing (I got a case of six from Aldi a few Christmases back) but are ‘table wines’ because they don’t use the local varieties required for special regional classifications like DOGC. 

you clearly know a lot more about wine than i do. i'm pretty ignorant about wines generally but i worked with a french bloke a few years back who got me more interested - i never knew before meeting him how much i liked reisling or pinot noir, for example. i had this idea in my head that reisling was all sweet and syrupy but gave it a chance on his advice and it's probably my favourite white wine now. he also got me into doing tastings. i've done a few in california, tuscany and france,  i should add in a typically british manner. in other words i start off taking it seriously but it quickly ends up all tasting the same as i inevitably start throwing it back.

i had no clue how good italian wines were until i started going to tuscany regularly. i joined the wine society last year, which has been a good way to discover new wines.

you clearly know a lot more about wine than i do. i'm pretty ignorant about wines generally but i worked with a french bloke a few years back who got me more interested - i never knew before meeting him how much i liked reisling or pinot noir, for example. i had this idea in my head that reisling was all sweet and syrupy but gave it a chance on his advice and it's probably my favourite white wine now. he also got me into doing tastings. i've done a few in california, tuscany and france,  i should add in a typically british manner. in other words i start off taking it seriously but it quickly ends up all tasting the same as i inevitably start throwing it back.

i had no clue how good italian wines were until i started going to tuscany regularly. i joined the wine society last year, which has been a good way to discover new wines.

Aldi do a pretty good (dry) Australian Riesling as part of their exquisite collection. Might well be available online. If you like that sort of thing try gewurztraminer, Pinot blanc or Pinot Gris from Alsace. Pinot Gris is the same grape as Pinot Grigio but it’s a lot more aromatic than the (usually l) dry / light / neutral Italian style. So if you get a new world wine labelled Pinot Gris expect it to be more aromatic like the Alsatian style and more light the typical Italian style of it's labelled Pinot Grigio. I would recommend getting a book by Oz Clarke   called Introducing Wine. Got some great info on different varieties and it has a wine flavour profile wheel for reds and whites to show which taste similar. What’s good is you can see which regional European wine style (which you might not know the grape variety / varieties for) is like a certain new world one etc. So you might like Sauvignon blanc so you might then try a Sancerre. It’s explained simply without dumbing down. Also, be prepared to try something you’ve never heard of before. Like Austrian wines are great but you’d probably expect something like a hock Alan Partridge would order. And I think you’d like Sicilian wine. It used to be all about bulk production but now there’s loads of vineyards doing more unusual stuff. Whether they be native grape varieties or blending them with ones from other countries. Great value for money too

recently discovered a fancy pauillac. definitely not an every day bottle, but absolutely lush if you have a special occasion and fancy a splurge

Not saying it about you but people generally have an odd attitude to wine where they’d pay £12 for a bottle of champagne and think they got an amazing bargain or pay more in a restaurant for the house red but think over a tenner is a fortune for one you'd drink at home. Yet the latter is easily the best value for money. 

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Might be time to delete it. 🤨

And lose culinary milestones like this?

On 18/03/2013 at 10:37, Christmas Tree said:

What to do with half a joint of roast lamb?

First thought were a lamb korma or alternatively chips lamb gravy and yourkshire puds.

Any suggestions.

• Haha 4