Joey Barton signs 5 year deal

Jimbo

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barton's a quality player and while he has done some pretty nasty things, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Allardyce isn't a man you'd like to misbehave under and while Pearce isn't either, I've seen enough evidence of Allardyce's player handling that would suggest to me that he can get Barton playing really well and not feeling the need to commit any vile acts.

I've always felt Barton always digs himself a hole by presenting himself worse than he actually is, through his actions. He often comes across as a fairly nice and fairly intelligent guy in interviews - he was certainly right about the England players after the World Cup. He's not had an easy life and the events that happened to his brother can't have been easy for him. I also feel sorry for him over the incident where he bared his bum at the Everton fans - they were hurling abuse at a guy who had just given up his shirt to a disabled fan. Not nice getting jeered at after making a nice gesture, so he was obviously frustrated.

Edited by TheInspiration

I may not have already mentioned this on the board but can I just mention the fact that this will the worst decision since Mr. Shepherd Snr had that glint in his eye.

Magpies want Joey jail break

NEWCASTLE have insisted on a get out of jail card as they prepare to welcome bad-boy Joey Barton.

The fiery Manchester City midfielder, 24, is expected to complete a £5.5million switch today.

But Toon have insisted on a contract clause to protect the club if Barton is charged by police and jailed over his bust-up with Ousmane Dabo.

Barton was arrested and quizzed by cops over the alleged assault on his team-mate and if he is jailed, is almost certain to dumped by Toon.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce is prepared to take a risk on Barton, who also stubbed a cigar out in a team-mate’s face.

The deal was conditional on midfielder Scott Parker rejoining his old boss Alan Curbishley at West Ham.

Parker yesterday agreed personal terms and the Hammers are due to unveil their £8m signing today.

Barton, expected to sign a three-year £40,000-a-week deal, said: “It’s always nice to be wanted.

“Sam Allardyce is a good manager and did a great job at Bolton getting them into Europe this season.

“At one point they were close to the Champions League, on a shoestring budget.

“He has taken on a very big club in Newcastle and if he does half the job there that he did with Bolton, the sky’s the limit.”

Barton’s City deal had a clause allowing him to move to any club which offered £5.5m.

His imminent move to St James’ Park will dash any hopes West Ham skipper Nigel Reo-Coker had of moving to the North East. But Aston Villa remain interested in him.

At least we wouldn't have a Big Dunc situation on our hands, I bet City are now telling their players to keep quiet when talking to the cops.

i'd agree with gram saying barton is a better forward thinking player than parker. he's been manchester city's best player in the last 2 seasons. shame he has all of the turmoil that surrounds him. as a lead by example player he should (on his on pitch performances) be a captain in his own right as i've not seen many players that try as hard as him.

if sam gets his head right i reckon barton will be good for us.

Guest alex

The difference between Bowyer and Barton is the latter might get played in his correct position here a few times.

The difference between Bowyer and Barton is the latter might get played in his correct position here a few times.

The other difference is that Barton might be a total arsehole off the pitch, but I don't think you can have too many complaints about his on-field behaviour. That is what matters most to me. Bowyer was obnoxious on the pitch as well.

i'm not convinced barton is captain material tbh. anybody who will thinks the press are trying to portray him him as a psycopath just for putting out a cigarette on a team mate's face is obviously not quite all there.

Unlike Bowyer he's also a player whose game is improving not deteriorating.

I do like him as a player, he seems to be the type who will drive his team forward, but we would still be lacking someone with some creativity!

It hurts to read this thread.

I can't believe you lot are talking about Barton as "not too bad on the pitch." This is the guy who mooned Everton fans and performed an absolutely horrendous stamp on Pedro Mendes. Not even to mention his training ground antics.

The man isn't a footballer, he's a thug. I don't care how deprived his childhood was. Seeing him in a Newcastle jersey will be too much for me, I won't be able to bear the thought of him disgracing the black and white.

I think that sometimes a person's double-life standards are taken out of context.

If the best heart-surgeon in the world was a wife-beating, child-molesting, gay-bashing moron, I think I might just want him hovering over me with a knife in his hand if me ticker was on the blink. :lol:

I can't believe you lot are talking about Barton as "not too bad on the pitch." This is the guy who mooned Everton fans and performed an absolutely horrendous stamp on Pedro Mendes. Not even to mention his training ground antics.

The man isn't a footballer, he's a thug. I don't care how deprived his childhood was. Seeing him in a Newcastle jersey will be too much for me, I won't be able to bear the thought of him disgracing the black and white.

I get what you're saying but bias aside Shearer's tackle on Lennon has been at best excused and at worst glorified by fans. Also ask other fans about his elbows over the years - I think he gave as much as he took but from one angle he was a "thug".

Which leaves mooning - hardly a capital crime.

The other difference is that Barton might be a total arsehole off the pitch, but I don't think you can have too many complaints about his on-field behaviour. That is what matters most to me. Bowyer was obnoxious on the pitch as well.

At least Barton can throw a punch as well. Bowyer's efforts to hit Dyer were frankly pathetic.

At least Barton can throw a punch as well. Bowyer's efforts to hit Dyer were frankly pathetic.

:lol:

Don't be so bloody precious :lol:

Don't be so bloody precious :lol:

:lol: