José Enrique

Baggio

So, we all agree, he's not on the wain (sic) at all, it's just that Jonas is not CT's favourite player?

Well on this page alone there's Mac Toon who thinks he's gone off the boil (due to Jonas) and Chezgiven who thinks his form has dipped as well so I think its safe to say that all is not well in the Enrique / Jonas household.

The problem, as I see it, you are not grading against a curve.

Jose is playing in a much tougher league, with much tougher opposition. You're suggesting he's not playing as well as he can, I would counter by saying, "Well duh"

I suppose he may be under instructions not to get forward anyway

Nice wriggle btw but not good enough. You were singing Enriques attacking praises and his link up play with Jonas and then have the nerve to accuse me of making it up. :D

A big man can admit when he's wrong, shorty.

I'll keep this as simple as possible.

You know nothing about football.

... and now I'll take it into more detail. There is absolutely nothing at all to indicate that Enrique is on the 'wain'. For something to be on the wane would indicate that it was on a slow gradual decline towards it's eventual end. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here because you can't even spell the word so it's unlikely that you even know what it means. I don't think you actually mean he's at the start of the end given that he just turned 25 last month. The discussion should end there. He's obviously not on the wane.

Now, I was singing Enrique's praises in general. When he first played for us to me it was clear that we had a player who had the fundamental skills to be a great defender. He was strong and quick two areas where our defense was lacking. He stays on his feet and doesn't give up. Where he was lacking however was in his link up play with the rest of the team. Defensively he still had plenty to learn in terms of positioning and the like, but the fundamentals were as clear as day.

In getting forward however he struggled, he seldom had a short passing option to play to, or at least felt he didn't and so resorted to the long ball far too often. When Jonas arrived in his second season he did start to form a good relationship with Enrique that gave Jose a direct short passing option. They were able to link up and this allowed Enrique to get further with much more frequency than his first season, though ultimately not a great deal came of his attack. Part of this was down to the players that he was crossing to and the general negative feeling at the club. Part of it was down to him missing a fair few games with injury. Part of it was that his crosses weren't that accurate. Certainly in direct contrast to Jonas, Enrique gets a lot of pace and movement on his crosses. If you can get these sort of balls into the right areas then you'll be a goal keepers nightmare. Unfortunately Enrique's crosses weren't consistent (they're more consistent now, but plenty of room to improve) and so not a lot came from them.

Last season in the Championship the area where Enrique really developed most in my opinion was in his possession of the ball. Defensively he wasn't often tested in the Championship. In attack he should have been getting even more involved in my opinion, because he quite clearly was better than the players he was coming up against.

Back in the top flight and he's now confident on the ball and will take players on on the dribble. When he does he routinely beats his man. If he stays on the dribble he'll often get closed down by second and third men coming in, or will be limited in his ability to get off a shot courtesy of being quite heavily left footed.

Now you try to cite a few points to carry your paper thin argument - one being that Enrique doesn't do many slide tackles. That's been busted already by many others in this thread. On top of that you try to claim that he should have tried some sort of slide tackle on Damien Duff in the Fulham game. This is further evidence of your lack of knowledge. Whilst that was a horrible bit of defending from Enrique there was no way that he could have at any stage made a tackle of any sort on Duff once Duff had the ball. If he did he would have received a straight red card.

I don't know why you've brought Danny Simpson into it at all, because frankly he has extremely little to do with the way Enrique plays. Simpson has been having some good games of late which is excellent to see. I think he's a good player with a consistent cross who reads the game pretty well. Even still 10 times out of 10 I'd rather have Enrique defending than Simpson.

Has Enrique had a bad game and an ordinary half in his last two starts? Yes.

Does it need a thread of its own to bring it to everyone's attention? No.

Another nice try but Im afraid you've already shot your bolt with your nasty little comments earlier on.

Its plain for all to see that while slagging me off when I said that I thought Enrique attacked well previously, the FACTS were YOU actually AGREED with me.

Very hypocritical.

Had you bothered to argue some decent points at first, rather than lie, I would have debated them with you. As it is, its too late baby. :blush:

A simple sorry would have done. ;)

Another nice try but Im afraid you've already shot your bolt with your nasty little comments earlier on.

Its plain for all to see that while slagging me off when I said that I thought Enrique attacked well previously, the FACTS were YOU actually AGREED with me.

Very hypocritical.

Had you bothered to argue some decent points at first, rather than lie, I would have debated them with you. As it is, its too late baby. :D

With you the emphasis is on simple.

You could have actually learned something if you'd read my post. For starters you'd know how to spell wane, and what it actually means. Have you acknowledged yet that your thread title doesn't even really match up with your opening post or what you were trying to say?

Enrique has attacked well previously in extremely limited cases. His attack is better now. Had a bad game and a bit, isn't on the wane.

I can't do this any longer; you don't even know what you're trying to argue and keep changing your opinion. This has become your trademark.

I, like many others on here are giving you way more attention than is deserved. When it comes down to it you're just a slightly more articulate version of DEADMAN. At least he has the decency to keep his posts short.

It really is true that when you argue with a fool they will inevitably bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Nice wriggle btw but not good enough. You were singing Enriques attacking praises and his link up play with Jonas and then have the nerve to accuse me of making it up. :D

A big man can admit when he's wrong, shorty.

I'll keep this as simple as possible.

You know nothing about football.

... and now I'll take it into more detail. There is absolutely nothing at all to indicate that Enrique is on the 'wain'. For something to be on the wane would indicate that it was on a slow gradual decline towards it's eventual end. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here because you can't even spell the word so it's unlikely that you even know what it means. I don't think you actually mean he's at the start of the end given that he just turned 25 last month. The discussion should end there. He's obviously not on the wane.

Now, I was singing Enrique's praises in general. When he first played for us to me it was clear that we had a player who had the fundamental skills to be a great defender. He was strong and quick two areas where our defense was lacking. He stays on his feet and doesn't give up. Where he was lacking however was in his link up play with the rest of the team. Defensively he still had plenty to learn in terms of positioning and the like, but the fundamentals were as clear as day.

In getting forward however he struggled, he seldom had a short passing option to play to, or at least felt he didn't and so resorted to the long ball far too often. When Jonas arrived in his second season he did start to form a good relationship with Enrique that gave Jose a direct short passing option. They were able to link up and this allowed Enrique to get further with much more frequency than his first season, though ultimately not a great deal came of his attack. Part of this was down to the players that he was crossing to and the general negative feeling at the club. Part of it was down to him missing a fair few games with injury. Part of it was that his crosses weren't that accurate. Certainly in direct contrast to Jonas, Enrique gets a lot of pace and movement on his crosses. If you can get these sort of balls into the right areas then you'll be a goal keepers nightmare. Unfortunately Enrique's crosses weren't consistent (they're more consistent now, but plenty of room to improve) and so not a lot came from them.

Last season in the Championship the area where Enrique really developed most in my opinion was in his possession of the ball. Defensively he wasn't often tested in the Championship. In attack he should have been getting even more involved in my opinion, because he quite clearly was better than the players he was coming up against.

Back in the top flight and he's now confident on the ball and will take players on on the dribble. When he does he routinely beats his man. If he stays on the dribble he'll often get closed down by second and third men coming in, or will be limited in his ability to get off a shot courtesy of being quite heavily left footed.

Now you try to cite a few points to carry your paper thin argument - one being that Enrique doesn't do many slide tackles. That's been busted already by many others in this thread. On top of that you try to claim that he should have tried some sort of slide tackle on Damien Duff in the Fulham game. This is further evidence of your lack of knowledge. Whilst that was a horrible bit of defending from Enrique there was no way that he could have at any stage made a tackle of any sort on Duff once Duff had the ball. If he did he would have received a straight red card.

I don't know why you've brought Danny Simpson into it at all, because frankly he has extremely little to do with the way Enrique plays. Simpson has been having some good games of late which is excellent to see. I think he's a good player with a consistent cross who reads the game pretty well. Even still 10 times out of 10 I'd rather have Enrique defending than Simpson.

Has Enrique had a bad game and an ordinary half in his last two starts? Yes.

Does it need a thread of its own to bring it to everyone's attention? No.

Very hypocritical.

Had you bothered to argue some decent points at first, rather than lie, I would have debated them with you. As it is, its too late baby. :blush:

When you find yourself in a hole - stop digging

So, we all agree, he's not on the wain (sic) at all, it's just that Jonas is not CT's favourite player?

Well on this page alone there's Mac Toon who thinks he's gone off the boil (due to Jonas) and Chezgiven who thinks his form has dipped as well so I think its safe to say that all is not well in the Enrique / Jonas household.

Did I fuck? Where have I said 'he's gone off the boil?

I said with a better winger in front of him he'd be even better.

Seriously clueless. Adding me to your list of divvys who agree with you. The only one who agrees with you is ChezGiven but he's always trying to be objective. Something you were unable to do in the OP.

It was made to get a reaction from people who actually gan to the match.

Clueless.

you're just a blatant wind up merchant aren't you? we'd be fucked without him - one of our best players and our only genuine left back.

Maybe the question was too complicated for you. :blush:

I didnt say he wasnt one of our best players I was talking about whether he is improving, stagnating or going backward.

If you havent got an opinion then fine, but dont turn a straight forward question into a girly squabble ffs. :D

Howay CT, the reasons are obvious.

You sitting bored in your taxi ;)

..and for the record Jose got the assist for the Best goal against Arsenal. Also sent the pass in that Ranger knocked down nicely into the path of Nolan. Plus he wasn't at fault for any of the Arsenal goals.

This is what you said

His link up play was class with Jonas, until he went off the boil and now doesn't seem interested. Put a decent left winger infront of him and watch him flourish.

This is what I said on page 1 in the opening post

His attacking game has nearly disappeared, however I lay the blame for that with the poor form of Jonas

Now most reasonable people would call those extremely similar opinions so either you are just trying to look clever or your thick.

It's simply not true Enrique got forward a lot more in previous seasons, nor is anyone agreeing with you he did, CT. They've said he got forward more last season, but only because the opposition was poorer. Don't twist what people have said.

This. Enrique barely got forward in his first season for us where he was inconsistently played by Allardyce. In his second season (though he missed a fair bit due to injury) he also rarely got forward. He always had the pace, strength and defensive ability but rarely used his pace to get forward. The season in the championship helped to encourage him getting forward and improved his ability to beat a man (he's one of the best we have at this, others in the side beat a man by retreating, spinning where-as Enrique shows a little bit of the ball then uses a touch and some pace to pull away towards goal).

Not only do you look like a moron for creating this thread Christmas Tree, but you continue to drag yourself further down into full on retardation by trying to fall back on your own bullshit facts that anybody who watched us play knows are just that - bullshit.

It's mildly entertaining for just how senseless you are, but this sort of shit won't be tolerated around here for long.

Oh Really ;):D:blush::icon_lol::lol:

Well why dont we have a look back at some quotes from our last season in the prem before relegation....

Christmas tree, you're a wanker.

Enrique MOTM in my opinion. it was Enrique who shone. Very good on the ball, made one bad cross where he hit it first time when he should have taken a touch, but otherwise was outstanding. He was an 8 or 9 IMO. Can't ask for more from a fullback as he also put a couple of very dangerous balls into the box, linking up with Jonas impressively on many occassions.

Jonas was shite tonight alright.

Communication problems, and an inability to cross shown again. No composure at all when shooting, no wonder he can't friggin' score. Effort was still there though. Better used when Enrique overlaps to put a ball in, seeing as Enrique can actually hit a cross with some power and movement.

Enrique tried his arse off all game, and linked up very well with Jonas

It was Enrique and Jonas combining several times down the left that was the only way that we broke forward.

Enrique gives you more of an option going forward. We don't get much attack out of our centre mids, so additional attacking options down the wing are necessities.

You see, this is how I remember Enrique, dangerous balls into the box, linking up with Jonas on many occassions, hitting in crosses with power and movement.....

Im sure you realise that all of these quotes are yours. :rolleyes:

One of us was trying to have a sensible discussion, the other was jumping in spouting shite for reasons only known to him. Someone once said....."This sort of shit wont be tolerated around here for long".

How True. ;)

This is what you said

His link up play was class with Jonas, until he went off the boil and now doesn't seem interested. Put a decent left winger infront of him and watch him flourish.

His attacking game has nearly disappeared, however I lay the blame for that with the poor form of Jonas

Now most reasonable people would call those extremely similar opinions so either you are just trying to look clever or your thick.

He's was saying Jonas went off the boil though, wasn't he?

This is what you said

He's was saying Jonas went off the boil though, wasn't he?

He might well have been, but even if it was, that is exactly the point I made in the OP. Enriques attacking prowess is suffering because of Jonas.

'Your thick' hahaha. Don't you mean you're thick? Howay flower, you're losing it.

Jonas gone off the boil, not Jose. That's obvious given the context of the statement I made.

Anyway, I disagree with you. As a defender he's near the top of his game and has only improved since arriving here.

His previous attacking exploits were on the back of Jonas taking the ball and drawing the defender leaving Jose to run by to collect. Jonas hasn't been doing this of late which has hindered Jose pushing on but his JOB as a DEFENDER shouldn't be brought into question. (refer back to my accounts of him marshalling the back 4.

Clueless. Talk properly about how he plays the game and how he uses space instead of shit like 'he could've done a proper waxa slide tackle'.

His previous attacking exploits were on the back of Jonas taking the ball and drawing the defender leaving Jose to run by to collect. Jonas hasn't been doing this of late which has hindered Jose pushing on.

As I said in the OP ;)

Edited by Christmas Tree

His previous attacking exploits were on the back of Jonas taking the ball and drawing the defender leaving Jose to run by to collect. Jonas hasn't been doing this of late which has hindered Jose pushing on.

As I said in the OP ;)

Then you should've made a thread about Jonas then. You made this one as you knew people would be annoyed then you could tell everyone they agree with you. You know nothing about football. Havn't you got some driving to be doing?

You're a cock, a taity picker and a craicless wum. Are you not embarrassed that everyone thinks you're clueless. You make no mention of how the game works. I mean I've actually taught you something by telling you how a full back shouldn't go down on his arse.

As I said in the OP ;)

Then you should've made a thread about Jonas then. You made this one as you knew people would be annoyed then you could tell everyone they agree with you. You know nothing about football. Havn't you got some driving to be doing?

You're a cock, a taity picker and a craicless wum. Are you not embarrassed that everyone thinks you're clueless. You make no mention of how the game works. I mean I've actually taught you something by telling you how a full back shouldn't go down on his arse.

:D What a tit.

;) CT also asked if Enrique was on the wane, and said he is finding it tougher and tougher this season. Fairly obvious what he was implying tbh. Of course he didn't justify this because he's more arsed about getting a bite off fellow fans than discussing football matters. I think that says a lot about the bloke. Edited by alex

Well, my last word on this is this.

My opinion was Enrique is finding it tougher getting into his excellent attacking because of Jonas.

I also put out for discussion whether other parts of his game had improved or not.

Hardly "horrific" stuff and could have been a canny sensible and informative discussion. Alas the thread has been hi-jacked by the drama queens, the look at me's and the forum brown nosers!

A shame and worrying trend of late.

Well, my last word on this is this.

My opinion was Enrique is finding it tougher getting into his excellent attacking because of Jonas.

I also put out for discussion whether other parts of his game had improved or not.

Hardly "horrific" stuff and could have been a canny sensible and informative discussion. Alas the thread has been hi-jacked by the drama queens, the look at me's and the forum brown nosers!

A shame and worrying trend of late.

Irony

Guest Marshall-Baines

As I said in the OP ;)

Was me who did the educating initially Mac.

CT which Spanish left back would you say is better than Enrique?

As I said in the OP ;)

Was me who did the educating initially Mac.

CT which Spanish left back would you say is better than Enrique?

He openly admits he doesnt watch any other football other than the Toon (dont laugh) so dont hold your breath .