José Enrique

Baggio

thing is, if this is his only gamble I'm totally happy with the summer signings, the best managers in the world still make the odd mistake in the transfer market.

bollocks, I'm not used to feeling this amount of optimism for the season.

good manager, fresh new squad, a distinct turnaround throughout every facet of the club.

If Jeremy Beadle is about he can come out now, I've sussed him... come on you freaky little bearded man show yourself! :lol:

Yeah I know, I trust him to have done his home work. I think Jose is a transfer he would never have had the chance to make at bolton (along with Smith). So I hope to see more younger players coming in once he gets the squad sorted out.

Goal.com Profile: José Enrique

Although he may not have the greatest positional sense at the back, his quick reactions allow him to rectify any problems.

That line there is bollocks. One of his best strengths is his positional sense!

fair enough but is luque a winger or a centre forward?

Left forward :lol:

Although he may not have the greatest positional sense at the back, his quick reactions allow him to rectify any problems.

Left behind more like.

Complement Viana's defensive midfield position well. And that goalkeeper looks good too. What his name? Victor someone?

Spanish sighs at Enrique swoop

Aug 8 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United’s signing of Jose Enrique is not just the talk of the Toon – but all the talk in Spain.

And the concensus is that United have picked up a tremendous acquisition in the 20-year-old left-back, signed in a £4.2m transfer from Villarreal.

Barcelona-based football consultant Oliver Fowler – a Geordie and big United fan – told me today: “Supporters over here cannot believe Enrique (pictureed below) has gone to Newcastle.

“The feeling in Spain is that he would eventually end up at either Real Madrid or Barcelona, and United have done a great job getting him.

“I can say without reservation he is a brilliant signing.

“He is not a 27- or 28-year-old carthorse but a 20-year-old with great potential, and I would be amazed if that potential was not realised at St James’ Park.

“As a Newcastle fan over in Spain, I can only look and think that the new manager understands the transfer market after he has managed to get in such a good player at such a reasonable price.

“Not only that, but after reading what Sam had to say in the Chronicle via the internet on Monday, I admire the way chairman Chris Mort and chief operating officer Russell Cushing pushed the deal through so quickly, with Liverpool and Man City ready to pounce.”

Fowler has always kept an eye on Albert Luque and has been dismayed at the striker’s form at St James’ Park.

He says: “Luque has had a couple of tough seasons at Newcastle, but things could be a lot better now.

“He is no big-time Charlie but an easy-going guy who deserves a chance this season.”

FFS

Ah the return on the widely-respected fountain of footballing knowledge that is Mr. Oliver Fowler.

Wow not THE Oliver Fowler !!!

I reckon it's just Anal asking himself questions into the mirror, and then answering them with a little plastic moustache and a funny accent.

Anal : "So, Mr. Fowler, are reports that Luque wants to get his head down and work hard wide of the mark?"

Anal w/ tache & accent : "Ah, si senor."

Edited by Barney

I reckon it's just Anal asking himself questions into the mirror, and then answering them with a little plastic moustache and a funny accent.

Anal : "So, Mr. Fowler, are reports that Luque wants to get his head down and work hard wide of the mark?"

Anal w/ tache & accent : "Ah, si senor."

a bit like htt then during hitzfeld-gate

Jose Enrique has vowed to make the most of his opportunity following his move to Newcastle.

The Spanish defender signed a five-year deal at St James' Park this week after a £4.2million fee was agreed with Villarreal.

He is relishing the prospect of playing in England and is determined to live up to his nickname of The Bull.

Enrique is also confident that Newcastle are strong enough to do well in the Premier League this season.

Like a bull

"I'll get stuck in where others might not and I know supporters will love the way I play," Enrique said in The Sun.

"I'm well suited to the English game and I'll play like my nickname suggests - like a bull.

"This is a unique opportunity for me. I wanted to leave Villarreal because this is a massive opportunity for me and luckily it was also good business for the club.

"Newcastle were the only team to put in a hard offer for me and although I don't have much experience of the English game, Newcastle look as if they have a good team."

Sam: Get set for the unexpected

Aug 9 2007

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

SAM Allardyce has expressed his delight at how quickly David Rozehnal appears to have settled into English football, but Newcastle United’s manager still believes the Czech international will be stunned by what he finds at Bolton Wanderers at the weekend.

Rozehnal has looked a quick and clever centre-back during United’s pre-season fixtures, but with two of those games coming against Italian sides Juventus and Sampdoria, Allardyce does not know how his signing from Paris Saint Germain is going to cope in the Premier League.

Given the fact Allardyce has signed three foreign defenders this summer – Rozehnal, Claudio Caçapa and Jose Enrique – the manager knows he has to get the new arrivals conditioned and prepared for the physical nature, as well as the rapid speed, of the English game as quickly as possible.

And that has prompted the United boss to deliver a stark warning to Rozehnal, who will make his competitive debut against Allardyce’s former club Bolton on Saturday – a side generally regarded as one of the most physical in the division.

“I’ve been really pleased with how David has settled so far,” said Allardyce, who will not risk either Caçapa or Enrique on Saturday because they have not had enough training at Newcastle. “He is a terrific human being, let alone a very good player.

“However, it has only been pre-season and I don’t want to heap too much praise on him at the moment because of that. There is still a lot for him to get used to. What he will experience at Bolton at the weekend will shock him to say the very, very least. Everything he has experienced now in training and in pre-season friendlies, if he thinks that’s hard, wait until he goes to the Reebok Stadium.

“If he can cope with that, the way Bolton play and the questions they will ask of him, he will be able to cope with anything. I hope he does because he’s a good player and he has had a good pre-season. He hasn’t missed any training and he has been a major bonus during our pre-season programme.”

Rozehnal will start alongside Steven Taylor in the centre of Newcastle’s back four on Saturday, but Allardyce still has a tough decision to make on who will play at left-back.

Celestine Babayaro has not been seen in pre-season because of yet more niggles and strains, which means Peter Ramage, Paul Huntington and Charles N’Zogbia will compete for the shirt.

Ramage would appear to be the favourite, having played out of position in that role before, but N’Zogbia has attracted Allardyce’s attention in pre-season as he feels the young Frenchman could be converted into an attacking left-back.

One player who is happy to play on the left is James Milner, who is arguably the closest Newcastle have to a truly two-footed player.

The England Under-21 international, who has already been tipped to become a senior international by Allardyce, is comfortable on both flanks and the former Leeds man will almost certainly start on the left against Bolton.

He said: “I don’t mind playing on either wing and I’m delighted with how things are going. I played quite a bit on the left for Leeds and I can use my left foot which is obviously a big help.

“I’m also enjoying it on the left because I can cut in, like I did for my goal against Celtic, as well as get to the by-line and use my left foot to cross. Hopefully it causes some problems for the full-back, not knowing which way I’m going to go.”

I think Hunty or Ramage will start left back against Bolton ahead of N'Zogbia for their height at Bolton's set-pieces.

I think we'll start with N'Zogbia, since he's the only real left sided player out of the three and Sam seems to rate him very highly judging by his comments after the last game.

Edited by Skol

I think we'll start with N'Zogbia, since he's the only real left sided player out of the three and Sam seems to rate him very highly judging by his comments after the last game.

I think with any other team, you might see Zog played there. But Sam will have seen exactly how Bolton can bully smaller players.

Any predictions by the way? I don't think that we'll win. 2-1 Bolton or 1-1 draw for me.

I am really looking forward to seeing Enrique playing for us, hopefully the first genuine class LB in many a year. The fact that he's big, likes to get stuck in and enjoys the physical side of things suggests he'll have a very good chance of settling into the prem which has been a problem for many spanish players.

As for who Sam will play at LB against Bolton, you'd guess he'd go with Ramage for height to counteract what Bolton would be expected to do, but there's been a few times i've read that Sammy Lee will be doing things a bit differently and playing a different way and so maybey they won't be as likely to hit high balls against our LB, so he could just as likely go with Zog if he feels happy with him in a LB role.

Be interesting to see what happens with Dyer, and perosnally if Sam and his team think Dyer is right mentally i'd use him as his pace on the break in tough away games either starting or from the bench can be very useful.

What was the price of the lad 4.2m or 6.3m?

Since Anal Oliver and the chronicle have more than once said it was 4.2m i am going to stick my neck out and say it is definitely 6.3m without question!

Haha, yeah i think it's that price but all of a sudden skysports claim 4.2million instead of their initial claim of 6.3m.