José Enrique

Baggio

Meanwhile, many United fans have been wondering whether Jose Enrique is injured after the £6m Spanish Under-21 international did not even make the bench on Saturday.

Enrique is currently injury-free, is training with the rest of the United squad and is hoping to figure against Rovers.

So says Anal...

Was very good today.

I don't think he's ever looked bad, i think potentially he could do very well. What annoys me is not only has he been ok, but the people they've stuck in ahead of him have been ludicrous, playign Carr there or completely wasting N'Zogbia who also struggles positionally.

I'm not saying Enrique has been a world beater, but he's done enough to be picked ahead of a useless right back in Carr and a winger in Zog, who also is needed attacking in the other half.

Was very good today.

I don't think he's ever looked bad, i think potentially he could do very well. What annoys me is not only has he been ok, but the people they've stuck in ahead of him have been ludicrous, playign Carr there or completely wasting N'Zogbia who also struggles positionally.

I'm not saying Enrique has been a world beater, but he's done enough to be picked ahead of a useless right back in Carr and a winger in Zog, who also is needed attacking in the other half.

he does seem to tire quite a bit in the second half of games. paolo madini he's not but is in my opinion with a bit of match fitness the best option we have as he is the best all round left back at the club.

Apparently Zaragoza made a bid for him in January but he wants to stay at NUFC.

Keegan January or Allardyce January?

Dunno, only caught a glimpse of the quotes while I was in the queue at Tescos.

Acorn road? <_<

Acorn road? <_<

Aye. :razz:

Was very good today.

Wouldn't say he was 'very' good but he certainly had a decent game which again brings up the question of why he hasn't been getting a game ahead of N'Zogbia at left back which is his natural position.

Every time I have seen him play he has never looked bad enough to be dropped, and he has always looked like a good prospect for the left-back position. I believe that Enrique & N'Zogbia could form a formidable left-side partnership if given enough games playing together.

Not really gloomy. He looks decent and with the right support could become a very useful player for us. £6.5m isn't too bad at all imo

• 1 month later...

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has praised young defender Jose Enrique and backed him to improve further next season.

The 22-year-old Spaniard joined The Magpies for £6.5million from Villarreal last summer but was used sparingly by former manager Sam Allardyce.

However, Enrique has played his part in a defence which has conceded two goals in the last three games.

Keegan believes the left-back is starting to settle into the English game but has outlined some of the difficulties he has faced in his first season at St James' Park.

"Jose is improving with every game. You have got to remember, he has to learn the language - we have got a back four where only Steven Taylor speaks English," said Keegan.

"Sometimes in front of him, Jose has had Charles N'Zogbia or Damien Duff, and he cannot understand Damien either.

"It has taken him a little while to adapt. We have had a couple of meetings with his brother about what he has to do to improve.

Vital

"His brother speaks good English, and when Jose was out of the team, he was more or less asking, 'What does he need to do to get back into the team?'

"Whatever you are seeing now, it will be another 50 per cent once he has got a pre-season with us under his belt and has not been interrupted like he was last year.

"Apparently, he did not have a full pre-season, and that is vitally important for players.

"Players who miss any part of pre-season usually suffer somewhere in a season, and Jose, like all of them, had probably had a little problem with that."

Keegan accepts that Enrique still has much to learn, but feels the future is definitely bright for the youngster.

"His focus is better. There is still improvement in him, but he has got a lot of qualities," Keegan added.

"He has a lovely left foot and he has a maturity about him at times that belies his age. He is still a very young player."

Hard to argue with any of what Keegan says, he's done well so far but it's clear that there's room for improvement which can only be rectified with experience and time playing in a competent settled back four (which with the addition of a decent CB to partner Faye hopefully we'll have).

Definitely a good defender but when he gets further forward his crossing and long balls are absolutely shite, always goes to the opposition. Hopefully he can improve on it.

Definitely a good defender but when he gets further forward his crossing and long balls are absolutely shite, always goes to the opposition. Hopefully he can improve on it.

Have to disagree slightly, although he is very one footed and sometimes his passing/crossing is off he had on a number of occassions played a quality ball/looked like the only player who can take and pull of that gamble.

Could do with work on his crossing like, because it does seem like he just dinks it and hopes for the best...some of his passes are quality though. And I love his standard "pro evo" run once a game, where he just does the pro evo dummy shot and tries to waltz around the whole team.

I've rated him from the start and think he will work out very well here as a defender but also coming forward as he's shown some lovely passing in his time here and when confident the odd run and shot as well.

So i'm glad to see Kev rates him as well and will be looking to build our team on the likes of Enrique, Beye etc. as i think Allardyce for all his mistakes did make the odd good signing!

"Jose is improving with every game. You have got to remember, he has to learn the language - we have got a back four where only Steven Taylor speaks English," said Keegan.

So he communicates to the others by **breathing**

:)