Middlesbrough v Newcastle: Match Thread

Besty

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles
To be honest, I'm not saying drop Martins or anything and Owen hasn't done enough yet to earn a start but it isn't clear he's a class act.

Thought Taylor was a bit in the middle again today btw. Definitely at fault for the first goal, even if it might have been just off-side. Think it might be a blessing Carr and Ramage getting injured if it sees Taylor playing RB and Cacapa playing in the middle. He looked good when he came on.

Tbh I agree to an extent; hopefully the injuries will actually see us sign a Right-Back. Taylor needs to be dropped for Cacapa regardless.

strange how so many here don't rate martins.

i think he's a scorer of good goals and his pace should prove a threat. i've witnessed a better first touch on one of the shit forwards on our sunday league team..

at inter he was a supersub, and thats (long term) where i see him playing, once owen is fit and viduka starts playing well, then i think those 2 will have the starting berths upfront.

just my $0.02

Oh well, that's what you get from having a midfield full of grafters. Still, at least they get stuck in...

We're still unbeaten though and I for one am still quite optimistic about the season.

Edited by Bombadil

A draw away to Boro isn't the end of the world like :D

We're still in a canny position and it's not like the last few seasons where it's felt like a decent league position was a out of the question after only a few games in. I'm not happy with the 'football' we're playing, if you can call it that but there are definitely positives compared to last year and I think Enrique and Barton should make a big difference when they come back. And so might Owen. You never know.

I think we need a creative link in the midfield

I reckon that's exactly what we need.

We've needed that for a long time now, could be our new "leaky defence" stand by sport hack quote soon.

To be honest, I'm not saying drop Martins or anything and Owen hasn't done enough yet to earn a start but it isn't clear he's a class act.

Thought Taylor was a bit in the middle again today btw. Definitely at fault for the first goal, even if it might have been just off-side. Think it might be a blessing Carr and Ramage getting injured if it sees Taylor playing RB and Cacapa playing in the middle. He looked good when he came on.

I didnt say its clear he is a class act, its clear he has a very poor first touch. However, maybe the class act was a bit too far

I thought Martins put in a good shift today, Viduka on the otherhand did jack-shit other than score.

Martins is getting a hard time on here imo. Im still not sure on this 4-3-3 formation and hoof, hoof, hoof tactics. Willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now though.

Guest Patrokles
I thought Martins put in a good shift today, Viduka on the otherhand did jack-shit other than score.

I'd rather have a striker who can be quiet all game and then score a classy goal than a player who runs around a lot but not much else.

I'd rather have a striker who can be quiet all game and then score a classy goal than a player who runs around a lot but not much else.

Given the choice, only a fool would disagree, but in my opinion Martins did the next best thing to scoring, he worked his arse off, with no service he went looking for the ball himself but people still find room to slag him off.

Guest Patrokles

Given the choice, only a fool would disagree, but in my opinion Martins did the next best thing to scoring, he worked his arse off, with no service he went looking for the ball himself but people still find room to slag him off.

They're not slagging him off, they're just saying he was ineffectual, which is hard to argue with.

They're not slagging him off, they're just saying he was ineffectual, which is hard to argue with.

Nah, some folk here have made their minds up about Martins and have closed the book on him.

Given the lack of service yesterday it is not surprising Martins was ineffectual, Martins/Viduka/Smith were feeding off scraps all afternoon, and none of them looked very impressive at all in my opinion, yet the focus of critisism is aimed at Martins.

Guest Patrokles

Nah, some folk here have made their minds up about Martins and have closed the book on him.

Given the lack of service yesterday it is not surprising Martins was ineffectual, Martins/Viduka/Smith were feeding off scraps all afternoon, and none of them looked very impressive at all in my opinion, yet the focus of critisism is aimed at Martins.

I agree with you completely re. Smith being- if anything- worse than Martins.

Have to agree with you again worse luck Mr.Jimbo, with very little good service he kept himself and the Boro defenders busy and I think Viduka should have been the one to make way for Owen, but fair enough he scored a goal which sadly didn't turn out to be the winner.

I've had some doubts about Martins but I think with help and good service he could turn out to be a good buy.

He's into his second season now. He's still got no first touch (he's past the age now where he's gonna discover one) which is hugely important in a league as fast as the Premiership, he surrenders possession a lot, and his pace is all but useless because his footballing brain is non-existent. I have pretty much made my mind up about him, but it's with a wealth of evidence to back it up. The sooner we start using him as an impact sub the better, because starting games with him up front is a big no-no imo.

Viduka scored and you're slagging him off.

I can't understand the Martins bashing. Given half a chance to score he generally will. He's already got 2 in 3 games FFS. The thing that baffles me is Bellamy's better reputation who may have a better football brain/touch but doesn't score very often.

I can't understand the Martins bashing. Given half a chance to score he generally will. He's already got 2 in 3 games FFS. The thing that baffles me is Bellamy's better reputation who may have a better football brain/touch but doesn't score very often.

Correction: he's scored 2 in 1 game. He's been crap in 2 out of 3 games.

Whats that got to wth his his scoring record? If he playes 30 games this season and scores 20 i will be very happy.

To me, Martins is at his best being one of two up front. When we play 433 and he is pushed wider I think he tends to have less of an impact / input to the game.

Whats that got to wth his his scoring record? If he playes 30 games this season and scores 20 i will be very happy.

We're not in Europe this season. No chance he's gonna score 20 premiership goals. Not a hope in hell.

We're not in Europe this season. No chance he's gonna score 20 premiership goals. Not a hope in hell.

Why would us being in Europe have affected the number of Premiership goals he scores? if anything, the fact were not there gives him a greater chance of doing it :mellow:

Why would us being in Europe have affected the number of Premiership goals he scores? if anything, the fact were not there gives him a greater chance of doing it :mellow:

He said he'd score 20 goals. I said he won't because we're not in Europe and there's no chance of him getting that many in the Premiership. Do you understand now? :razz:

He said he'd score 20 goals. I said he won't because we're not in Europe and there's no chance of him getting that many in the Premiership. Do you understand now? :mellow:

It was early, I was tired :razz:

So how many do you reckon?