Newcastle United VS Birmingham City

Tom

Cracks papered over or have we been alright today?

The game i seen was cracks papered over by beye!

Not a surprise.

Just a realist.

edit: Oh you mean the game :nufc:

Edited by @yourservice

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well it took us about 20 minutes to start playing some decent football but then it continued on for the majority of the game and we had a lion share of possession.

Their goal was partly due to surface and Roz. Roz later on in the second half nearly got done again between him and Stevie Taylor, lucky Taylor shielded the ball through to Given. However he gave the ball away cheaply and his performance just worried me today but it is only a blip. He'll be back to his best next week, i hope.

N'Zogbia and Milner were immense today. Milner was once again down the left hand side with Zog at LB but both did tremendous amounts of work to get into positions and take on players. Milner more often then not was cutting back on his right foot and when he wasnt his left let him down a couple of times. I still think for balance on the wings we should have him and Zog on both the left and right wings. This can make us less one dimensional as thats what we are at the moment with the only time we look good down the right is if Beye goes bombing forward on a run.

The win was deserved as we had quiet a few chances, hit the crossbar a couple of times and one of them hit the crossbar and came off the back of Maik Taylor and we had a clear cut handball penalty not given about 1-2 minutes before Beye nodded home the winner at the near post. Poor marking and defending cost Birmingham a point at least.

Jeez, the BBC has something against us.
The result was unfair on Alex McLeish's side who for much of the game made Newcastle look distinctly below average - something Arsenal failed to do three days earlier.

How about we should be two-three goals up at half-time. Jackass.

Interestingly enough, in the same match report they had a sentence that went "At that stage, a win for Birmingham would have been deserved, a draw would have been fair, but a loss would have been thoroughly unjust. But then Newcastle got a late winner...". It was there half an hour ago but they've now removed it. Perhaps someone has reminded them that they are supposed to be impartial.

Edited by Bombadil

didn't sound like the greatest performance but some of that might have been due to the weather conditions but at the moment I'll happily take the result, the next 2 matches are key to our season.

Still not enough football and "proper" chances created - we now seem to rely on set pieces too much.

Also playing against "shut up shop" teams exposes our lack of creative flair.

Can't knock the effort/fight/spirit though.

Well, just got back and Im off out so a quick summary (summary? its the middle of fecking winter oot there!)

It was cold n wet n windy

Milner had a good game

Geremi made us imbalanced, playing RM but getting sucked inside mostly

Barton was shite, again

We looked shakey defending set pieces

Brrrrr

Overall, poor game, very average performance but 3pts. Just. (this said, we had a great period for the last 15min of the 1st half, downhill second half).

Stupid decisions by sam time and time again! Geremi at fucking Right Wing again. Countless times Beye tried getting up the wing and when it came to pass to someone Geremi is ambling about in the centre circle!

Viduka came on and Martins moved over to the RW in the 2nd half which seemed to be working better so what does Sam do? Puts Smith in midfield and Barton on the RW. Its seriously beggars belief.

A couple of other points of note. Martins never gambles on Smiths flick ons, and Smith won a fair few in the 1st half.

Secondly, twice today i saw barton fuck up and then immediately start berating someone else for his mistake. Im not convinced about him at all.

On the plus side, Taylor has had 2 outstanding games now, Smith has had 2 of his better games for us now hes playing in his proper position and Beye looks tidy too.

Not a totlally convincing performance when all's said and done, however, we created a lot of chances, if we can begin to grow in confidence in front of goal and get a center half partnership to gel for more than two weeks, we'll see steady improvements.

Barton wasn't all that bad, I admit he should've shot at times and sometimes his first touches were poor but in the second half he was getting it out to Milner well with some quality balls (if that was him, didn't have me contact lenses in :nufc: ).

Huffed and puffed without creating much 2nd half but I reckon we deserved it over the 90 mins. A positive performance for me. Obviously the late goal makes all the difference in terms of the assessment.

Did butt take a niggle or what? Either way, once Viduka came on we looked far more dangerous......up till half time at least.

He has some virus i think, he once came off Wednesday, taken some pills, then got back. Seems like it was too much for him.

Chuffed as fuck with the result but we are clutching at straws to find positives from that performance, when will the penny drop with Allardyce that N'Zogbia should play on the left wing and Milner on the right ? and that Geremi is fucking shite and when will he realise that Mark Viduka has the work ethic of a McDonlads trainee with M.E.

It was unlikely we would repeat the level of performance on Wednesday, coming only three days later. What is important though is they dug in and fighted until the end, getting the victory we just about deserved.

On a side note, the defence still needs a lot of working on if we're to carry on progressing. Rozenhal is surely much better than what we've seen from him in recent games. Also our good friend Lawro pointed out how our formation and style is just like Bolton's under Allardyce. I'd be happy with that provided we had didn't have the players for more "attacking" football and it would gurantee more success. Oh well, got the win which is good enough for now.

Guest Patrokles

Geremi was dropped earlier in the season, btw, when he wasn't playing well enough. Presumably the only reason he's back playing is because there's some issue with Enrique.

Huffed and puffed without creating much 2nd half but I reckon we deserved it over the 90 mins. A positive performance for me. Obviously the late goal makes all the difference in terms of the assessment.

Fuck off you bastids that's my catchphrase ;)

It really was a matter of normal service resumed today after the Arsenal blip.

Yes so what the team ended up with the points and absolutely battered their goal for the last 15 minutes of the first half, it doesn't make up for the lacklustre effort the rest of the match and the fucking pityful tactics and substitutions.

Why does it take the team so long to start both from the initial kick-off and then after half time.

Why do we insist on humping it long to forwards that just don't play that way and inevitably we get caught when it gets humped straight back at us and we fall over ourselves to let them score.

Why the fuck wasn't Smith subbed ten minutes into the second half when he'd disappeared from the game completely and it was obvious their 5 in the midfield was butt fucking our 3 everytime. Why can't professional footballers actually make 5 to 10 yard passes to their own players. How long will it be before other teams realise that if you just shut down our left side we're fucked because we have no right side and our centre midfield are just a bunch of plodders.

It's there for the world to see and yet 3 lucky points against relegation fodder and 1 point against a 3rd choice Arsenal midfield and we're heading in the right direction again.

There has to be a better way.