Tozer off to Toon

ewerk

Tozer off to Toon

Exclusive By Andy Cryer

TOWN'S teenage defender Ben Tozer is set to sign for Barclays Premier League Newcastle United for £1.1million.

Club director Bob Holt this morning confirmed an offer for the youngster had been made and the Swindon Advertiser understands it will be accepted tomorrow.

Tozer, who has made just a handful of first team appearances, has been at the centre of a bidding war between Premier League sides Everton, Portsmouth and Newcastle and it appears the Magpies have got their man.

The news comes as the long-awaited takeover of the club by Wiltshire businessman Andrew Fitton looks set to come to a head.

Fitton told www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk last night that both parties' lawyers are now just checking the wording of the contract and, if acceptable, the deal will go ahead tomorrow.

''Providing the lawyers agree the documentation, which they should do, the deal will go ahead,'' he said.

''Monday morning is now the critical time.''

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/...off_to_toon.php

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile young defender Tozer, who missed Saturday's 3-0 defeat to Brighton, will agree personal terms with the Premiership giants this morning as exclusively revealed on our website yesterday. The deal is expected to land Town around £250,000 immediately with further installments taking the deal to £1.1m.

Town caretaker boss Dave Byrne said of Tozer's imminent move: "It is a dream move for the lad and it was an offer the club could not really turn down."

TOZER SET FOR NEWCASTLE SWITCH

Posted on: Sun 16 Dec 2007

Young defender Ben Tozer will travel to St. James' Park on Monday morning for talks with Newcastle United after Town agreed a fee with the Premiership club.

The 17-year old has featured in seven first team games for The Robins so far this term and has shown much promise during his brief spell with the club to date.

Last week's FA Youth Cup game with Barnsley saw the scouts flock to The County Ground once again and with the highly-rated youngster a much-sought after prospect, the club have now agreed a transfer fee with Newcastle United.

Tozer was not included in the matchday squad against Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday and will travel North with his agent on Monday to discuss personal terms ahead of a proposed permanent switch The Magpies.

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/p...1192181,00.html

Can I be the first with the obligitory "Going after players before the transfer window!? You wouldn't have seen Roeder do that!" :lol:

Seems to fit in with what Mort was saying about bringing in young players to improve the squad in the future.

Can I be the first with the obligitory "Going after players before the transfer window!? You wouldn't have seen Roeder do that!" :lol:

Seems to fit in with what Mort was saying about bringing in young players to improve the squad in the future.

Yes but what use will he be when the manager plays him as left attacking midfield in a 3 man front line?

Yes but what use will he be when the manager plays him as left attacking midfield in a 3 man front line?

;)

Nice to see the club looking to the future.

:lol:

It's the sensible thing to do to try and pick up the best young players before they make a name for themselves and will cost a ridiculous fee, £250k is nothing in todays game and we could likely make it back if he doesn't make it at this level considering the fee's we got for Huntington and Alan O'Brien.

From the way Mort has been talking about the academy since he's been here I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the main drive behind the improvements that we're trying to make in this department, hopefully he's trying to model himself on David Dein and gain the experience from helping make it happen rather than just signing cheque's and leaving the rest to the manager.

Tozer close to deal

By Ken Waugh - 17/12/2007 16:41

Swindon teenager Ben Tozer has been at St James' Park today with a view to completing a move for an initial £250,000

So who is Ben Tozer, we asked Chris Tanner from the Official Swindon Town FC website;

"Ben's a versatile player who was handed his first team debut by Manager Paul Sturrock in the Carling Cup tie against Charlton Athletic at left-back, coming up against the likes of Andy Reid, Darren Ambrose and Marcus Bent in a high-profile clash at The County Ground."

"He started out his career in junior football before joining Plymouth Argyle as a ten-year old and progressed up through the ranks at Home Park before switching to join Youth Team Manager Dave Byrne at The County Ground."

Swindon are in all kinds of trouble at the moment, a take-over by an Andrew Fitton led consortium imminent and the current board looked to have resigned themselves to losing Tozer, certain quarters of the Swindon following believe the sale of Tozer to be the current boards final payday but already having a decent defence, it seems more likely that Tozer is surplus to requirement.

For Newcastle it is a clear indication of Allardyce's long term plan's and the fact that we are buying a player who can play either Centre half or Full back will please most fans, although young, he is well respected amongst Swindon fans, we spoke to Dave Scott a supporter of Swindon Town for over 20 years;

"Ben has played 5 times for first team this season couple at full back and the rest at centre back. Centre back is his best position but didn't look too out of place at full back."

"We signed him from Plymouth youths last summer think he was brought over by Sturrocks coaching team (ironically what with Sturrock now returning to Plymouth couple of weeks back)."

"The biggest compliment I could give Ben is he already looks League 1 level at only 17 with the right training and development he could become premiership / championship level. "

"He is big in stature and very good in the air, always needs someone experienced with him to talk him through the game."

"I would say the sale is both player ambition and financial problems the fee suits the club in financial hardship and the deal suits the player as he gets to step up 2 divisions."

So seemingly the lad is full of promise and it is a good sign of our current directives, but is it simply a case of the player's ambition to play in a higher league or the fact that Swindon are in dire need of a cash injection, a reported £5million in debt, the £250k doesn't really put a dent in that..

If he does sign for us and it's a "done deal" according to reports coming from Swindon, we look forward to his arrival and wish him the best of luck.

Tozer close to deal

By Ken Waugh - 17/12/2007 16:41

Swindon teenager Ben Tozer has been at St James' Park today with a view to completing a move for an initial £250,000

So who is Ben Tozer, we asked Chris Tanner from the Official Swindon Town FC website;

"Ben's a versatile player .

Stopped reading there, he's another Hughes ;)

:lol:

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admits Ben Tozer may be going out on loan to a Coca-Cola Championship club in January once his move from Swindon to the north-east is complete.

The 17-year-old defender is close to completing a move to St James' Park, with the deal expected to be going through in the next couple of days.

The deal could ultimately be worth around £1million to Swindon but Allardyce believes the player would benefit from a loan spell in the second tier of English football.

"He is only 17 and he is obviously one for the future," Allardyce told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

"And yes, there is a possibility Ben will be allowed to go out on loan.

"But first we want him to stay here for two or three weeks so that we can look at him and he can look at us."

Meanwhile, Allardyce has dismissed reports linking the Magpies with Ipswich striker Jonathan Walters.

The United boss said: "I had Jonathan with me at Bolton Wanderers and I am delighted that he is doing so well with Ipswich, but he is not someone I am looking to bring here."

Byrne tips Tozer to star for Toon

Swindon Town caretaker manager David Byrne expects Ben Tozer to be a Premier League star at Newcastle United.

The 17-year-old defender was due to hold talks and have a medical with the Magpies on Tuesday after the clubs agreed a fee.

"Ben is a laid back character and sometimes that doesn't help him when he plays, but I knew I had a gem all along," Byrne told the club website.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Tozer will make it in the Premiership."

Byrne added: "He is one of the best youngsters I have ever worked with because he listens and does exactly what you want him to do on the pitch."

Sounds like Bramble.