Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

I would say based on the calibre of manager who wants to take on a likely relegation candidate.

We're having our worst ever Premier League season ffs. Throw in a big enough escape bonus and we'd be attractive to most decent out-of-work managers, even on a temporary basis. Changing managers in relegation battles is pretty much what the Mackems do every season

We will never pay it though, will we? He is the best we're going to get and I'm not bloody surprised its the worst season, because we get worse year on year under Ashley with 1 year that bucked the trend.

My view is that Keegan should still be here - every single element of failure in the club is down to Ashley's ownership - changing managers is like putting a new dressing on a gangrenous wound and we're going through older , dirtier dressings every time .. (heh I like that analogy, you might not, but I do so fuck you all !)

If we did fire him, we'd be looking at someone with an even more distant successful past - George Graham still alive?

Most clubs that get new managers for relegation battles haven't changed 3 times in 1 seasons worth of games - if I had a new boss every quarter with a different strategy I'm pretty sure I'd switch off too.

From my perspective the playstyle is BETTER than its been in years, we just don't (still) have the squad. Who the fuck thinks we can get results when we've got 3 good defenders in the entire squad, one of which is at the end of his career.

Edited by scoobos

I really believe it, our reputation is fucked - no manager can be successful at this club or have integrity and be successful.

McLaren has had a positive impact for me, but we're just too far gone. Fans, including people on this forum seem to think that buying a few more midfielders is going to improve the results the first match they play in. Not the mention the fact that the clear majority have been foreigners looking to make an impact to be sold onto other Premiership clubs. (I think they're all shite btw, the only good signings we've made are Mitro and Gino imo)

Not saying you're wrong, just I think so. Time will tell. We've got progressively worse since Keegan - I spunked my pants when McLaren came because it was the first "improvement" I've seen since then.

Edited by scoobos

He's terrible. His team selections and his tactics are equally shocking. We've more injuries than any other team, again, and he still tries to play defensive counter-attacking football despite us having one of the leakiest defences in the entire division. It doesn't get much worse. People off here could do a better job. It's our WORST ever premier league season despite spunking £80m.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

I agree some of his selections, formations and subs have been baffling but we've played better football in patches than for years. I can see what he's trying to do, sometimes.

Not the Everton game though. That was just bizarre. Everything he touched, from the selection, to the lone, diminutive striker to bringing in Aarons at left back. Just bizarre. If he did thy every week I'd agree he's lost the plot.

I agree some of his selections, formations and subs have been baffling but we've played better football in patches than for years. I can see what he's trying to do, sometimes.

Not the Everton game though. That was just bizarre. Everything he touched, from the selection, to the lone, diminutive striker to bringing in Aarons at left back. Just bizarre. If he did thy every week I'd agree he's lost the plot.

That better football is probably just because we've spent money on better players. That we can't win with them is a reflection on the manager

I'll keep biting :)

Whos a "better" player then, since McLaren joined - the preseason games I watched we were visibly passing the ball no more hoof ball. Lets not count January as we've no time to see but Shelvey is fucking shocking apart from the first game.

Thauvin > Cabella?

Colback > Tiote ?

Elliot > Krul? (perhaps so)

I really believe it, our reputation is fucked - no manager can be successful at this club or have integrity and be successful.

McLaren has had a positive impact for me, but we're just too far gone. Fans, including people on this forum seem to think that buying a few more midfielders is going to improve the results the first match they play in. Not the mention the fact that the clear majority have been foreigners looking to make an impact to be sold onto other Premiership clubs. (I think they're all shite btw, the only good signings we've made are Mitro and Gino imo)

Not saying you're wrong, just I think so. Time will tell. We've got progressively worse since Keegan - I spunked my pants when McLaren came because it was the first "improvement" I've seen since then.

Too many words from you.

See Ryder's piping off that a new manager is a bigger risk than McClaren. Fucking mouthpiece. How is sticking with somebody that's averaging less than a point per game anything other than outrageously risky? They're doing what they always do, fail to take action in a timely manner - and he's defending it. I don't know how anybody can.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

I know following this club is tedious as fuck, and I know we get the same soundbites over and over again, but at the end of the day he can't come out and tell it like it is, can he? We don't even need him to tbf. We can see how fucking shit they are without him pointing it out.

And Wigan were, as I recall, highly resistant to relegation for a few seasons. If he's had a chat with Martinez and been told that he should just fucking go for it, then I'm all for it. Clearly we aren't going to defend our way out of this.

Apparently Lascalles was playing well before he was sent off. I don't know which game mcclaren was watching

TBF if McClaren's instruction to him was to carry the ball 50 yards out of defence and then give it away in midfield then he carried out his role perfectly.

I know following this club is tedious as fuck, and I know we get the same soundbites over and over again, but at the end of the day he can't come out and tell it like it is, can he? We don't even need him to tbf. We can see how fucking shit they are without him pointing it out.

And Wigan were, as I recall, highly resistant to relegation for a few seasons. If he's had a chat with Martinez and been told that he should just fucking go for it, then I'm all for it. Clearly we aren't going to defend our way out of this.

A line about Lascelles getting sent off on purpose might have livened things up a bit.

Funny how this thread goes quiet after a convincing performance!

I'll resurrect my defence of the guy - I thought we watched a match where the team played more attractive football than we've seen since pre Pardew days and this does nothing but bolster my support of the guy.

yep, they can't put chances away, but I noticed he'd given instructions to hold the ball, put in safer looping balls to the box and retain possession. I could be totally wrong, but in previous games we've been very quick to break and throwing in high speed low balls to the box, which is very exciting but no one could put them away. It's like he's teaching these "children" step by step - ok here's how to pass, here's fast crossing and now lets do controlled attacks. Once he's happy with all 3 maybe our players will be able to effectively use all three.

Could be complete tosh, but I definitely see progression, shame the results are so poor - but even bloody Mourinho or Ferguson would have trouble with this team as it was when Steve took over.

i'll say it again. his selections and choices of subs can be pretty shite but he's a decent coach, if a bit negative. at least he encourages them to play it out on the deck and pass the ball.

Until we see some form of consistency I won't change my opinion of him, you can't let one narrow win where we created lots of chances at home obscure the fact that Everton and matches like it happen all too regularly.