Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

Until we see some form of consistency I won't change my opinion of him, you can't let one narrow win where we created lots of chances at home obscure the fact that Everton and matches like it happen all too regularly.

I think that's a combination of a group losing mentality and over cautiousness on his part. The latter needs to change to address the former.

Consistency is down to the players though as well. This isn't the only match this season that we have played like that either I dont understand why you'd make out that wba is the only time.

We've played proper football more times this season than the last two already

Consistency is down to the players though as well. This isn't the only match this season that we have played like that either I dont understand why you'd make out that wba is the only time.

We've played proper football more times this season than the last two already

It can be aye but at times it's down to McClaren setting the team up to defend or trying stupid things like he did vs Everton.

We've won 6 games out of 25 and lost 13, he has got a long way to go before he has earned praise. Beating a team so shit they couldn't register a single shot on target against us at home isn't the game to use as evidence of him being a class manager tbh.

He has done a shit job this season.

Yes we beat West Brom, a shit team on the day, in a convincing manner, but as usual I have a critique to make about McClaren's team selection. I don't question his starting line-up with the exception of Aarons.

Granted Aarons had a somewhat decent game at left-back but I would have thought that the obvious choice would have been to try Saivet there for openers. He is a left sided player, defensive midfielder?, has played left wing in his career. And from what little we have seen of him he can certainly tackle well.

I recall Aarons tackle in the Everton match ... P-E-N-A-L-T-Y.

For the large majority of games we've played shit too, so this playing style bollocks is a myth tbh.

Think the football has, on the whole, improved.

Away games have generally been shit, but some of the football at home has been lovely to watch.

Well, lets see in a year. I think you're being harsh. Can't dispute the points, but again, I'm happy they are playing better football and losing than getting 16 more points with Pardews dross but being unable to progress any further. Once this team get the basics and adapt the potential is higher, than Pardê ever had.

Could be completely wrong, but some do stretch the argument by saying the footies no better. they are definitely passing to feet much more and passing forward, pardew was just fuckin hoof it from defence to attack, that's been gladly missing since Sept.

Edit: the pardew@38 vs McLaren 25 needs bold HF or its misleading. Don't make me pull you on labelling again.

Edited by scoobos

I wasn't keen on McClaren taking the job, the club had to virtually beg him 3 times to take it. He eventually did with the sweetner of becoming a board member. He's now had over two thirds of the season & not far short of £75 million spent on the team (more than any manager under Ashley) who are worse off than we were last year. I can hear the "it's not his fault it's the lack of investment" argument that's fairy Nuff. But at the end of the day he knew what he was getting with Ashley,Charnley & co he has to take the blame. Playing players out of position setting them up wrong becoming a clone of Pardew with his endless spiel of everything will be ok in time (something we don't have). Yet again we are walking a relegation tightrope tbh we should never have been in this position following last season's scare. Maybe it's time for Charnley to dig out those other 90 odd applicants he said they had for the job because I don't think McClarens the one to take us forward. In fact he just might be the one who takes us down again & we could well be down for a long time.

You can't just keep changing manager. Time to give him another full season, hopefully with continued backing and more of a say over players and let's see where he gets us.

Not having a top finisher has fucked us this season which has lead to a lot of the tinkering.

I think he'll come good.

Horrifyingly, I find myself in agreement with CT. If he keeps us up, I think he should be given a run into next season. If it starts looking anything like this one though, I'd probably want rid of him.

You can't just keep changing manager. Time to give him another full season, hopefully with continued backing and more of a say over players and let's see where he gets us.

Not having a top finisher has fucked us this season which has lead to a lot of the tinkering.

I think he'll come good.

We don't 'just keep changing managers' so think that's a moot point. What we do seem to do is keep appointing cheap, desperate, out of work managers who are either 'on message' or are prepared to be for a job in the PL.

Horrifyingly, I find myself in agreement with CT.

Aye, me too :lol:

Weirdly, I feel better about mcclaren than any manager we've had in a while, despite the results. He can be forgiven a shit storm of a first season, as long as he keeps us up, considering the state of things when he took over. Yes, he's had a lot of money to spend but last season was as bad as it gets. He needs more than a solitary season to turn it around. It's a deeply engrained attitude and player culture that needs addressing - not just the playing style.

I hope it works out for him because he's a decent technical coach. He just needs to stop the odd dodgy selection, like Perez up front in his own or Dummet at left back, and I hate to think who might replace him. Ashley doesn't exactly have a track record for appointing the type of manager supporters crave.

I keep hearing he's a great technical coach but I think it's all a bit emperor's new clothes for me. He's came in and we've been at the bottom end of the league from day one. I'm not laying all our problems at his door by any stretch, but he would've been out on his ear under any other owner, (assuming they'd have hired him in the first place). You can't keep judging managers by Pardew's standard or even Carver's as these broke all kinds of the wrong records.

Even if we survive it's been a horrendous season results wise. I've seen enough to give him a chance again next year. Though CT's idea that he should get another full season is fucking ridiculous. If results don't improve in the first ten matches next season he should be out on his arse.

Even if we survive it's been a horrendous season results wise. I've seen enough to give him a chance again next year. Though CT's idea that he should get another full season is fucking ridiculous. If results don't improve in the first ten matches next season he should be out on his arse.

I'd be discreetly looking for someone better now for next season, whether we stay up or not.