iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The side profile looks like a Sony Ericsson to me.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. I'm thinking about getting one of these HTC Desire things, just for a change.

got one. its fantastic!! completely blows wor kids iphone 3gs out of the water.

600mins

500txts

unlimited net

£25 per month.

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands...447/p31043.aspx

Editors choice March 2010

We like:

Fast Web browser, with Flash support; good photo and video quality; useful touch-sensitive trackpad; responsive physical menu buttons; integrates your contacts across social networks; HTC Sense user interface makes Android better-looking and adds handy features; big, high-resolution screen; responsive capacitive touchscreen; great virtual keyboard

We don't like:

Some home-screen widgets need polishing; Android is still somewhat geeky; short battery life; slightly boring-looking compared to the HTC Legend; AMOLED screen is hard to see in sunlight

CNET UK judgement:

HTC has packed every feature under the sun into the Desire, along with a slick user interface and plenty of processing power. Although not as sexy as the HTC Legend or as polished as the iPhone, the Desire is a smart phone that inspires lust

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39030107,49305369,00.htm

Looks canny like

from techradar

"HTC Desire

After unleashing the massively impressive HTC Legend, its bigger brother, the HTC Desire, is here - faster, bigger and more powerful and still packing the Android punch.

It might be the Nexus One rebadged, but this is a behemoth of a phone in its own right; has HTC tried to do too much?

We reviewed a Desire from T-Mobile, which is first in line to offer the phone on UK release, but we also checked out our findings from another Desire review unit straight from HTC, to really find out how it compared to the competition.

While the Legend was all about style and functionality in one tidy package - the HTC Desire takes a slightly different approach.

Instead of the gorgeous aluminium chassis, we're given a slightly more low-key brown case and a huge 3.7-inch OLED capacitive touchscreen.

But while the screen certainly is massive, the phone itself doesn't seem gargantuan. The screen reaches the edge of the chassis nicely, and the four buttons on the front of the HTC Desire are almost flush and set in attractive aluminium.

If you're looking for comparisons between this and the Nexus One, the first is highly obvious: the trackball is gone.

HTC has given the phone the Terminator eye once more (head back to the HTC Legend review if you want to know why we're glad it doesn't glow red and threaten humanity) which is basically an optical trackpad that registers finger motion over the sensor.

The phone is very slim indeed, with dimensions of 119 x 60 x 11.9 mm, and weighs in at just 133g. If you're counting, that's 2g heavier than the iPhone 3G and the exact same weight as the iPhone 3GS - and that makes it very pocket friendly indeed.

It has a rubberised chassis, which is a little hard to grip at times. We're not talking so slippy you'll be dropping it all the time, but it still can be a little difficult to hold in one hand, especially if you have dinky digits.

That said it sits very nicely in the hand, with a sumptuous curved chassis feeling very nice and making it easy to press the buttons on the front with the thumb.

There's actually very little button-wise on the HTC Desire, with only six in all. The front four buttons are standard HTC Android fare (Home, Menu, Back and Search) and the Terminator optical trackpad also clicks in as an enter key.

The up/down button on the left-hand side of the phone is flush to the chassis, as is the power button on the top - which sits next to the 3.5mm headphone jack atop the HTC Desire.

The power button also functions as the lock key, and is very nicely placed to press whenever necessary (and trust us, we've seen some horrors; we're looking at you, Samsung Galaxy).

That's it button-wise, as there's no camera key (instead the HTC Desire uses the trackpad to take a snap or two) which is a little sad - we still love a dedicated shutter button.

The USB slot is hidden at the bottom - no cover to keep the dust out, but on the plus side it's once again microUSB, banishing the memory of the horrid miniUSB port from HTC designs of old.

There's also a microSD card slot for extra memory - but that's hidden below the battery, and can't be taken out without turning off the phone.

The screen is simply to die for - we mentioned it was an OLED capacitive effort earlier, but that brings such glorious colour reproduction and 3.7-inch is a great size for media and the internet on a phone.

It's a little tacky under the touch - the iPhone for instance feels a little smoother - but we're being very, very picky with that, as it registers the slightest touch with ease.

The design is sleek, and the Desire certainly looks the business - sleek and compact, while still showing off the power of the OLED screen. Yes, it lacks the style of the HTC Legend, but we think it more than makes up for that in function.

HTC is excellent at keeping packaging minimal, and the Desire once again comes in a coffin-like box with the standard kit inside.

This means a microUSB cable, which plugs into an adaptor to make a wall charger, and the standard headphones which double as a hands-free kit.

HTC hasn't seen fit to update these, but they're functional and work well to use for calls and media, providing you don't have the same odd-shaped ears as us.

There's not a lot more, but with the minimal space in packaging you can see why HTC has kept the components down. We would like to see some PC software on a CD or memory card, but it can be downloaded from the site with ease.

The HTC Desire is a feature-rammed phone with the hardware to support it. It's got a huge screen with the 1GHz processor underneath, and the Sense UI is a system that keeps getting better with every iteration.

Coming just after the HTC Legend, it improves on all the issues we saw with that (battery life, Peep and Friendstream slow to update etc) and adds in some decent extra hardware as well.

We liked

We liked nearly every single thing on the HTC Desire - it just works as you want it to as a phone and an internet tablet at the same time.

The Sense UI, Leap View and social network integration is all seamless and useful, the Live Wallpapers are super cool and the internet browser with pinch to zoom is fantastic.

Music and video playback was rich and simple, the camera is probably the best we've seen from HTC, the overall experience was fast and intuitive - in short it's easier to find things we didn't like.

We disliked

We'll level with you - there's not a lot wrong with this phone. The Bluetooth music playback is a little patchy and the battery will drop a little easily if you leave everything updating in the background.

Although the latter is a little annoying out the box (HTC wants you to use lots of updating widgets from the start) once you take some things down (or set them to manually update) the battery use is a lot better.

Verdict

In short, this is a phenomenal phone - one of the best we've ever had on TechRadar. Usually when we like a phone on the first use, we end up horribly disappointed after a little time with it, but the HTC Desire kept on performing and achieving when we thought it wouldn't.

The screen is lovely, the design is slick and processor makes everything happen in a flash - all you'd want from a smartphone.

Sure, some people will want slightly nicer design (we'd advise you check out the Legend) or a simpler home screen and richer app store at the moment (look at the iPhone 3GS) but as a piece of hardware it's without par in the mobile world.

A stunning phone, and one that will show the world that Android isn't just for the hackers and phone geeks any more."

Police in California have seized computers belonging to the editor of a gadget blog which was involved in the purchase of an iPhone prototype.

Gizmodo had admitted it paid $5,000 to an unnamed individual for the next generation device, which was reportedly left in a bar by an Apple employee.

Editor Jason Chen published photographs and videos of the phone last week.

Gizmodo may have violated a California law covering the appropriation of stolen property for personal benefit.

The technology blog published the search warrant documents online and said they state that the computer and other devices may have been used to commit a felony.

Apple wrote to Gizmodo last week asking it to return the prototype handset, which it complied with.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8645884.stm

The Desire is quality BTW. I can definitely see the benefits of not being tied to itunes and Apple's rules. The

browser is great which was my main concern and there are a ton of good apps.

Not regretting ditching the iPhone yet.

The Desire is quality BTW. I can definitely see the benefits of not being tied to itunes and Apple's rules. The

You complete twat. You've been going on about how great the iPhone is for months, I finally decide to bow to pressure and get one, and two weeks later apparently there's something cheaper, better, and not restricted to Apple's firmware etc available. :razz:

Does the Bluetooth work on it Rocky?

You complete twat. You've been going on about how great the iPhone is for months, I finally decide to bow to pressure and get one, and two weeks later apparently there's something cheaper, better, and not restricted to Apple's firmware etc available. ;)

.:razz: Don't worry about it man, the iPhone is still class! Although you should have waited for the new one. The browser on this definitely loads pages way quicker than my iPhone did though.

Wacky I don't know about Bluetooth, I don't really use it. I'll test later on just for you though.

Aye I got it last week like, love it. Name is a bit :razz: but I can live with that.

Saved a shitload of battery life by creating a 'power page' where I can switch everything heavy on and off without going through the menus all the time.

:razz: I thought I'd clicked the iPhone thread but it appears I've inadvertently accessed the HTC Desire one that I never knew existed. :D

:razz: I thought I'd clicked the iPhone thread but it appears I've inadvertently accessed the HTC Desire one that I never knew existed. :D

I know. They should get their own fucking thread. :D

:D

It's like Rosa Parks never existed :D

It's like Rosa Parks never existed :D

bloody Phacists!!

Does anybody with an iPhone have any idea if there is an app that controls profiles? Is a bit of an arse having to scroll through the menus to turn different things on and off depending on where you are.

What you want is an Android :razz:

It has two apps - Locale which does what you're after using GPS - ie it remembers what location is work and puts your phone on silent, switches the Kelly Brook wallpaper for a plain one, turns your WIFI off etc. Then switches them all back on when you leave.

Or Timeriffic which does the same based on time profiles - does the above during work hours.

If either of those are in the app store give them a go. Or get an Android!

Got the iPad today. As good as I thought it would be. Spot on for presenting (which I use for work. Excel, PDF etc much smarter/faster/intuitive than a lap top).

Anyway, only slight down side is that iPhone apps have a low resolution and so appear small on the iPad or you can stretch but then they look poor. Most decent apps though have been rereleased with iPad updates with better resolutions. All the main ones I use do anyway. A decent PDF handler is GoodReader which inside I made folders for different PDFs etc.