Redundancies

Tooj

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Confirmed today that our branch is going from 129 > 65 staff by the end of 2012 but mostly through wastage - one lad on our team left today so no great pressure but only "guaranteed" a job until the end of the year but should be okay beyond that. There's the option of voluntary redundancy but it has to have a business case as well.

They really fucked things up in head office in Stuttgart by announcing stupidly generous packages which loads applied for only to find out there was no chance for most of them so they had to go back to the drawing board.

Confirmed today that our branch is going from 129 > 65 staff by the end of 2012 but mostly through wastage - one lad on our team left today so no great pressure but only "guaranteed" a job until the end of the year but should be okay beyond that. There's the option of voluntary redundancy but it has to have a business case as well.

They really fucked things up in head office in Stuttgart by announcing stupidly generous packages which loads applied for only to find out there was no chance for most of them so they had to go back to the drawing board.

What industry do you work in? If you don't mind me asking.

Banking - I work in IT for the London branch of a German Landesbank (regional state bank).

The bank asked its shareholders for a capital injection to cover toxic losses and a condition of that was an EU backed restructuring.

That's the problem with working doing that sort of job in the banking industry I suppose, you don't get a proportionate share of the spoils when things are going well and are the first to suffer when things hit the shit.

Banking - I work in IT for the London branch of a German Landesbank (regional state bank).

The bank asked its shareholders for a capital injection to cover toxic losses and a condition of that was an EU backed restructuring.

As I think we established once, my lot translates a good amount of your lot's stuff. So if you ever are affected by the cutbacks - and touch wood you won't be, obviously - just let me know and I'll start inserting abusive footnotes and anti-Kraut comments in the hidden text. ;)

Are these the same german regional banks that have remained to varying degrees clueless for the last two decades? :razz:

Got told about a month ago that I was being made redundant on the 22nd June. Hadn't really bothered looking for jobs as I was in Bali, but now am back and started looking yesterday. Am fairly excited actually though as it's a chance to move my career on, just pretty glad I did my CII exams while I had the chance as it should put me in good stead for the jobs I apply for.

Give it a month and I'll be tearing my hair out as I've not been able to find anything....

Edited by Southern Geordie

Good luck finding something else, SG.

Seconded.

How's everything going with your lot these days Gemmill - any more stability?

Got told about a month ago that I was being made redundant on the 22nd June. Hadn't really bothered looking for jobs as I was in Bali, but now am back and started looking yesterday. Am fairly excited actually though as it's a chance to move my career on, just pretty glad I did my CII exams while I had the chance as it should put me in good stead for the jobs I apply for.

Give it a month and I'll be tearing my hair out as I've not been able to find anything....

how did you enjoy Bali? Go to the Gili Islands at all?

Best of luck with the job hunt, SG.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys. Just got back from Turkey so put my cv about before I left... Got an interview on Tuesday with a fairly decent company so am happy with that.

Bali was awesome Barney. Was my first time outside of Europe so was a bit of an eye opener... Everybody out there was so friendly and the weather was odd too. Morning was bright sunshine, but come 2 o'clock on the dot the heavens would open and storm for the rest of the day!

• 4 months later...

I'm going to see my Senior Manager tomorrow to see if I can volunteer for redundancy. If not I'm leaving anyway - I'm guessing he'll say no as with other departures I've become too important from a knowledge/support pov.

As mentioned above we're in the middle of a downsizing and more of the "bright" future is being revealed everyday and it's not a pretty sight.

If I get the redundancy I'll go back to contracting, if not I'll just look for permanent stuff. I activated my CV on Jobserve the other day and I've already had 5 recruiters on the phone asking to put me in for stuff. The only downside is having to deal with these idiots again (no offence to Stevie).

• 3 weeks later...
50% redundancies announced at my place today. Severance day to be New Year's Eve.

Sorry to hear that and hope you avoid it.

What does your place do?

Sack people, mostly. :razz:

In a nutshell, we are public sector advisors.

So it's hardly surprising.

50% redundancies announced at my place today. Severance day to be New Year's Eve.

Sorry to hear that and hope you avoid it.

What does your place do?

Sack people, mostly. :razz:

In a nutshell, we are public sector advisors.

So it's hardly surprising.

Fingers crossed your in the lucky 50%

My company is looking for a buyout or a partnership to go forward in the next year, I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity for expansion rather than reinforcement to stay afloat.

• 4 weeks later...