Given signs for Man City

Matty

Plus Owen is missing more than hes scoring at the minute

QFT

and still the best striker at the club

Martins is better imo gets goals and makes more of a nuisance of himself, Owen may as well not be on the pitch half the time, esp the last few games was more or less anonymous.

(shouldn't be captain either but i guess we've no one else)

Owen's all-round play is better than Martins' (whilst not that great), his strikerate is better and over the last season and a half his fitness record is better! Obviously Martins' pace is a miss but when he is poor he is worse than anonymous. He's an utter liability as anything given to him might as well be a pass to the opposition. I'd play both when fit fwiw. I like how he 'shouldn't be captain' as well, despite how you then admit there is no better candidate. Perhaps Owen will have to leave to be appreciated by some on here.

I do agree with alot of what you say there, but I think Owen has missed Martins since his latest injury. He has been poor when playing alongside anyone other than Martins.

On other occasions, Owen could well have had an extra four goals for us in the last few matches, the chances he's missed. That's the thin line between success and failure, I guess. I'd still have Owen playing every game, if fit.

Whilst he should have scored more, it's still encouraging for me to see him getting into those positions. I know that's a cliche, but it's no less true all the same.

Couldn't agree more.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The captaincy isn't really the main issue anyway imo. And the Arsenal comparison is completely irrelevent. Everything else I said was a fact. It wasn't really an attack on Martins btw, more of a defence of Owen. Who you still have a massive chip on your shoulder about, for some reason. If we're talking scapegoats/players who aren't good enough etc. neither of those two should really be in the firing line imo.

Owen 22apps 10 goals

Martins 13apps 6 goals

Aye he's really tanking him in the ratios there, wonder how many were a penalty and all

and the fact you came off with "and over the last season and a half his fitness record is better! " just sums up how bad he's been previously

been here since 2005 and only the 2nd time he's managed over 20apps in a season, we'll see if he even makes it to 40 (i reckon he'll cripple himself soon enough)

Its still a surprise when Owen misses and an even bigger surprise when Martins doesnt

Owen 22apps 10 goals

Martins 13apps 6 goals

Aye he's really tanking him in the ratios there, wonder how many were a penalty and all

and the fact you came off with "and over the last season and a half his fitness record is better! " just sums up how bad he's been previously

been here since 2005 and only the 2nd time he's managed over 20apps in a season, we'll see if he even makes it to 40 (i reckon he'll cripple himself soon enough)

Its still a surprise when Owen misses and an even bigger surprise when Martins doesnt

And that's a FACT! ;):)

The captaincy isn't really the main issue anyway imo. And the Arsenal comparison is completely irrelevent. Everything else I said was a fact. It wasn't really an attack on Martins btw, more of a defence of Owen. Who you still have a massive chip on your shoulder about, for some reason. If we're talking scapegoats/players who aren't good enough etc. neither of those two should really be in the firing line imo.

Sick to death of the reports about us being lucky to have him tbh

if we weren't in such a fucking mess theres no way on gods earth people would think he was the shining light in our team.

they'd be going nuts over his fee/wages over the games played etc

Really do you honestly think many other clubs would give him what we do wages wise? other than the ones also up shit creek I mean.

I think he'd struggle to get the same deal off a decent club even when leaving on a free, it'll be performance based of any off them.

Naw i'm not making Owen a scapegoat and hes def good enough for us when fit (because were woeful and our squads tiny) we have much much worse.

but he is far from the superstar striker that he's getting paid to be.

Aye, his wages are too high. I got that. He's away in the summer anyway so we'll see how good his replacement is.

Owen 22apps 10 goals

Martins 13apps 6 goals

And that's a FACT! ;):)

yet the ratios aren't much different and martins has been better value for money

either way least of our problems are those two like alex said,

I love watching both of them tbh. Love the fact that Martins can conjure up something explosive out of nothing and love Owen's shear class as a striker.

But, greater problems lie elsewhere. Agreed.

He'd lost quite a lot of his pace before his last serious injury mind. Although he's even slower now. I think you have to play him in a more withdrawn role like Keegan did. It's far too easy for centre-halves to mark him out of the game when he plays as an out-and-out striker. Especially with someone like Caroll or Viduka alongside him (i.e. also lacking in pace). The opposition can keep such a high defensive line.

Keegan used him pretty well, and the three of them gave the other teams a pretty nightmarish defensive headache.

The problem is without the right players/team (and frankly manager) around him we're losing most of his remaining quality.

Still after the summer we won't see a player of Owen's (remaining) quality for a long time at Newcastle, if ever (imagine Martins stripped of his pace ;)).

Owen 22apps 10 goals

Martins 13apps 6 goals

And that's a FACT! :):victory:

yet the ratios aren't much different and martins has been better value for money

either way least of our problems are those two like alex said,

I love watching both of them tbh. Love the fact that Martins can conjure up something explosive out of nothing and love Owen's shear class as a striker.

But, greater problems lie elsewhere. Agreed.

You been reading to many Sun headlines about a certain number 9 we once had ;)

The whole team has missed Martins' pace tbf, or to put it another way, there is a severe dearth of pace in the team in general (especially in the front 6).

Been going on about this for weeks innit.

Looks more likely now...

All the talk is he'll be gone by today or tomorrow :(

Won't bother a few on here..

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...l=krul&st=0

I'd have been happy with £8M then. But the form he's in this season I'd have hoped for more than £10M.

I do think it's a far more dangerous message being sent that we're selling him now and would have been a lot happier to see him away under the summer circumstances.

Looks more likely now...

All the talk is he'll be gone by today or tomorrow :icon_lol:

Won't bother a few on here..

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...l=krul&st=0

Minus me in that thread :rolleyes:

(that emoticon will soon be changing from a grin though :()

next game against city won't be great if shay#s in the wrong set of nets

Don't think he'll of moved in time to play on Wed, we'll still get raped mind.

Baggio-tastic :( You can never, ever change your view on a player apparently, because if you do it means admitting you were wrong. The difference being though, then we might have accepted a sale in the belief KK wanted to improve the side / had someone like Friedal in mind perhaps (i.e. a bigger physical presence). Now it just seems like cashing in on one of our better players.

Personally I'd only let him go if we get a player in return. Michael Johnson and/or Ohuoha (sp) would solve problems in other areas of the pitch.

Whilst in an ideal world I would want to keep Shay, I reckon strenthening elsewhere is more likely to keep us up.

Problem is that players aren't exactly falling over themselves to come here.

On the upside Harpers last stint showed how good a keeper he is.

On the downside, he's out of contract in the summer.

Edited by alex

Didnt the Times article imply that the Given move is dependent on Harper signing a 3 year deal?

I can't see them turning down a bid that meets their valuation on the basis of that somehow.

Didnt the Times article imply that the Given move is dependent on Harper signing a 3 year deal?

I can't see them turning down a bid that meets their valuation on the basis of that somehow.

We need the 10m to fill other positions right now.

would have held out for johnson , cash and that young defenders name i can never remember or pronounce .

infact i wouldnt have sold at all, i would of just bought those lads i mentioned from city , but that obv not gonna ever happen under this cuntish owner .