Given signs for Man City

Matty

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

selling our best players has never been a good thing.

With Shay Given we're set up with one of the best goalkeepers in the league for the next 7 years.

He's not as replaceable as people think long term.

Short term it would be nice to see Harper play some games but its debatable how good he'd be, he hasnt played in a long time, he's getting older, its going to take a run of games to get into it, then there is the flaws in his game such as communication with his defence.

We've been here before thinking our better players are replaceable and we wont need them that much, we shouldnt be selling them we should be adding to them, but i guess with Ashley and Wise incharge we have no hope.

I dont care if it is a lot of money. Gary Speed went and it was "his passing was going off, Butt will improve us" that worked out well didnt it? Woodgate left and people said "a lot of money, he's always injured, we can buy a replacement" that worked out well for us in the playing department didnt it! Nobby Solano was sold first time we had the excuse of "his legs were going" went on to be top scorer and assister for Villa, came back, we sold him again and replaced him with Geremi. Craig Bellamy, "fuck off welsh twat we have Shearer and Kluivert" that worked a treat. Scott Parker "Butt was out playing him, he cant attack, Barton will improve us a lot" oh what we'd give for one of west hams best players in the middle of the park right now. James Milner... "thats a lot of money we dont need him we have spiderman" we've had managers and owners take control of situations and make mistakes, Olivier Bernard being a big one of them.

It is a massive risk losing one of your best players and thinking its alright we'll sign someone else. Its not going to be easy to replace Given or any top player, we've lost players before, its often taken a while to replace them, but have their modern day replacements gave us more than what we would have gotten off the previous player, for the majority of cases... no.

We need to be aware of the massive issue of replacing these players!

Yes some have blips of form and areas of their game that need improving. We need every UEFA Cup quality player we can keep.

Most importantly we cant let Mike Ashley sell off these players and play the protect investment game, it will be the end of us waving good bye to Givens and Owens, it will severely damage our future, how many times in the past have these names and big players we've had been key to saving us when seasons were mucked up, key to being an attractive club to play for, attractive club to manager.

I cant believe how much of our reputation has been destroyed by Mike Ashley and Co in the past year. It makes me want to throw up and slit my wrists, we're being ruined and i dont trust the future being in the hands of Mike Ashley enough to be able to make up excuses for Givens exit and look for positives and try and play down this loss.

We're falling and falling and i find myself clinically depressed because of it, no hope left.

People keep saying oh Given isnt worth that much to survival... but i bet his presence in the dressing room is huge, i bet it will shatter the players and their confidence even more so, which is extremely worrying!!!!

Edited by Midlands-Mag

So Man city have placed a 7.5 million pound for given, but are holding out for more! On sky sports news it said there wanting 12/14 million mark. That would be pure madness to sell Shay, he is the only hope we have of staying up, would you agree?

Steve

No

He's a very good keeper but nothing more, Harper isn't that far behind him IMO, not as good a shot-stopper but better command of his box (by a little), which Shay has always been garbage at.

OK OK so Harper may walk as well at the end of the season, BUT the question was about this season

Harper wouldn't walk if he was first choice.

Plus Owen is missing more than hes scoring at the minute

QFT

and still the best striker at the club

Martins is better imo gets goals and makes more of a nuisance of himself, Owen may as well not be on the pitch half the time, esp the last few games was more or less anonymous.

(shouldn't be captain either but i guess we've no one else)

i like the way people keep saying givens 32!... he's a keeper being 32 is the least of his worries

we'd be daft to sell him for 8m imo, esp when newcastle won't fucking spend it anyways

There's nothing we can do about it though if the jokers "running" our club decide to sell.

It's fucking depressing. ;)

Cant begrudge Shay for going, Im more angry at the club for not matching his ambition.

Crazy to think of the team without Given, he's been in net for that long. Strange to think that we've had him for so long, yet he's leaving us in his prime.

Good luck to him. Another nail in the coffin.

Carlisle United boss Greg Abbott is hoping to bring Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul back to Brunton Park.

Krul has returned to Newcastle after making nine appearances during a two-month loan spell at Carlisle.

Abbott wants to re-sign the Dutch youngster on loan, but accepts Magpies manager Joe Kinnear is currently reluctant to agree to a deal.

Newcastle keepers Shay Given and Steve Harper have both been linked with moves away, so Abbott will rely on Ben Williams while he awaits a decision from Kinnear.

"We are still waiting to see what happens with the Newcastle United situation but, at the moment, Tim Krul is their player," Abbott told the club's official website.

"If that situation gets resolved then there may be room for us to ask the question again, but we are very much on the back foot at the moment.

"Ben has been very patient and has worked very hard. I am sure that he is looking forward to getting his chance to prove himself again."

guys remember , harper is away also in the summer , he's not going to sign new contract .

Krull is an amazing talent , but he needed loaned out more for the experience .

I think krul should of had more chance in the first team ( ie cup games etc ) after the performance he gave against Palermo

he's not the only one , donninger and goodsmark , ranger ect ect all showing our first team up , and deserved alot more playing time ,

hull put their reserves out against us and knocked us outa FA cup , we shoulda played the kids and would have had more chance of winning watching our first teams perfomance that day .

Totally agree with you. We have some cracking youth talent. Wouldn't mind seeing Tozer and Kadar

In tonights reserve game...

Tamas Kadar went down in our box with a leg injury with just a few minutes remaining and left the field on a stretcher

;)

The Sun:

NEWCASTLE have told Manchester City they want at least £14million for goalkeeper Shay Given.

City made a new bid of £6m for Given last night. But Toon boss Joe Kinnear knows there is a mountain of cash available to Eastlands chief Mark Hughes and wants him to try again.

Toon also fancy City’s Michael Johnson as part of the deal although the midfielder is not keen on moving to Tyneside.

Irish stopper Given, 32, is desperate to quit Newcastle after a decade of brilliant service and knows there is an offer of £72,000 a week on the table from City.

Kinnear continues to insist the Irishman will not be leaving.

But after being handed just £10m for transfers by owner Mike Ashley, Kinnear has to cash in to boost his woefully thin squad for the relegation battle ahead.

Toon legend Rob Lee does not blame Given for wanting to jump ship.

He said: “I would hate to see him go but Newcastle is probably not the best place to be at the moment.”

The Sun:

NEWCASTLE have told Manchester City they want at least £14million for goalkeeper Shay Given.

City made a new bid of £6m for Given last night. But Toon boss Joe Kinnear knows there is a mountain of cash available to Eastlands chief Mark Hughes and wants him to try again.

Toon also fancy City’s Michael Johnson as part of the deal although the midfielder is not keen on moving to Tyneside.

Irish stopper Given, 32, is desperate to quit Newcastle after a decade of brilliant service and knows there is an offer of £72,000 a week on the table from City.

But after being handed just £10m for transfers by owner Mike Ashley, Kinnear has to cash in to boost his woefully thin squad for the relegation battle ahead.

He said: “I would hate to see him go but Newcastle is probably not the best place to be at the moment.”

What's going to be fucking awesome is when we dick around for another four or five days and then sell Given to Shitty for 10 million, but don't have enough time to get any other deals in place before the window closes.

"Wait until summer though, lads!" Will be the cry...

The Sun:

What's going to be fucking awesome is when we dick around for another four or five days and then sell Given to Shitty for 10 million, but don't have enough time to get any other deals in place before the window closes.

"Wait until summer though, lads!" Will be the cry...

Thast the thing, Ashley will be doing his dinger, "whats the use of another £12million in the bank lads, I wanted to spend this and more on some quality players....oh well c'est la vie"

Seeing a quote like that from someone who loves Newcastle as much as Rob Lee should really stick in their throats... but it won't ;)

QFT

Martins is better imo gets goals and makes more of a nuisance of himself, Owen may as well not be on the pitch half the time, esp the last few games was more or less anonymous.

Owen's all-round play is better than Martins' (whilst not that great), his strikerate is better and over the last season and a half his fitness record is better! Obviously Martins' pace is a miss but when he is poor he is worse than anonymous. He's an utter liability as anything given to him might as well be a pass to the opposition. I'd play both when fit fwiw. I like how he 'shouldn't be captain' as well, despite how you then admit there is no better candidate. Perhaps Owen will have to leave to be appreciated by some on here.

QFT

Owen's all-round play is better than Martins' (whilst not that great), his strikerate is better and over the last season and a half his fitness record is better! Obviously Martins' pace is a miss but when he is poor he is worse than anonymous. He's an utter liability as anything given to him might as well be a pass to the opposition. I'd play both when fit fwiw. I like how he 'shouldn't be captain' as well, despite how you then admit there is no better candidate. Perhaps Owen will have to leave to be appreciated by some on here.

I do agree with alot of what you say there, but I think Owen has missed Martins since his latest injury. He has been poor when playing alongside anyone other than Martins.

The whole team has missed Martins' pace tbf, or to put it another way, there is a severe dearth of pace in the team in general (especially in the front 6).

Edited by alex

The whole team has missed Martins' pace tbf, or to put it another way, there is a severe dearth of pace in the team in general (especially in the front 6).

The West Ham match was IMO the slowest side I have seen at St James Park in a long time...

Its scary how little pace there is in the side.

QFT

I do agree with alot of what you say there, but I think Owen has missed Martins since his latest injury. He has been poor when playing alongside anyone other than Martins.

On other occasions, Owen could well have had an extra four goals for us in the last few matches, the chances he's missed. That's the thin line between success and failure, I guess. I'd still have Owen playing every game, if fit.

He'd lost quite a lot of his pace before his last serious injury mind. Although he's even slower now. I think you have to play him in a more withdrawn role like Keegan did. It's far too easy for centre-halves to mark him out of the game when he plays as an out-and-out striker. Especially with someone like Caroll or Viduka alongside him (i.e. also lacking in pace). The opposition can keep such a high defensive line.

QFT

On other occasions, Owen could well have had an extra four goals for us in the last few matches, the chances he's missed. That's the thin line between success and failure, I guess. I'd still have Owen playing every game, if fit.

Whilst he should have scored more, it's still encouraging for me to see him getting into those positions. I know that's a cliche, but it's no less true all the same.