Hillsborough

Craig

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd add this, for perspective.

Valley Parade Fire 26 years on...

Good read that, it's crazy that this gets such little coverage compared to Hillsborough, Bradford seem to go about it perfectly. Remember, but don't take the piss. I'm sick of having Hillsborough shoved down my throat by Liverpool fans who will then sing Ice on the Runway etc.

I remember watching the fire unfold on telly, it was surreal and ultimately horrific.

At first, no-one quite knew what was going on, then in what seemed like no time, it went from a bit of smoke in the stand to an inferno.

Clearly remember it to this day.

When was the last time Liverpool played at Hillsborough? Obviously it used to happen quite regularly with Wednesday in the top flight until their relegation in 2000 (season we beat em 8-0, Shearer's five goals). Have they played there since?

Such is the mentality of their fans these days, if/when they next play there I'd fully expect a big hoo har, wreaths laid down, minute's silence etc despite there never being such a fuss made of it (as far as I can recall) when both teams occupied the same division.

When we were playing there in the Championship the match was televised and I was watching it with my lass. She reckons she couldn't watch each time the camera went up that end of the ground.

I remember watching the fire unfold on telly, it was surreal and ultimately horrific.

At first, no-one quite knew what was going on, then in what seemed like no time, it went from a bit of smoke in the stand to an inferno.

That poor man 5 minutes in, anybody know if he survived?

how fucking calm was he though? he looked like he had his hands in his pockets and everything

That poor man 5 minutes in, anybody know if he survived?

how fucking calm was he though? he looked like he had his hands in his pockets and everything

Typical dour Yorkshireman. "Now don't bother yerself, just a little bit of immolation, now t'worry about"

Those not showing sympathy want to get a fucking grip. That could have well been us remember SPurs also I have been in similar crushes at Hillsborough.

Best thing ever happened all seaters. I will go get me hat but before I do the bairns on here who were not around then do not want to talk about something they do not know

Those not showing sympathy want to get a fucking grip. That could have well been us remember SPurs also I have been in similar crushes at Hillsborough.

Best thing ever happened all seaters. I will go get me hat but before I do the bairns on here who were not around then do not want to talk about something they do not know

I'm very sympathetic. I also fully support any campaign to get classified documents on the matter released and a proper independent investigation done. That these issues have still not been exhaustively and transparently ruled upon is a shameful blight on the game and over 2 decades of government. But they're taking liberties with our sympathy when they refuse to play games according to the calendar, 23 years after the event. No other club that's suffered any of their own disasters claims any comparable divine right.

It's not an issue of sympathy for the dead and the families. Everyone has that and those that say they don't are attention seeking arseholes. But it is ridiculous the grief industry that has built up around this event, when any other clubs that are victims of disasters are able to go about their business without this wallowing.

Let the families grieve and move on. And shame the government into whatever it takes to give the families what they need to move on.

But Liverpool Football Club can fuck off dictating who plays what games when. There is nothing but their own wallowing self pity preventing them from playing games on the date of Hillsborough. What more fitting tribute to the dead than for Liverpool to play Everton (another club whose fans will have lost family members on the day) in an FA Cup Semi Final. But no, if you're a scouser its just too upsetting. Yet somehow every other club with a tragedy in their history can just get on with it.

But as I have said what difference does it make if they do not want to play on that day? As you quite rightly say Everton fans lost friends and family do they want to play on the day. It's not the Liverpool Football club I am condfident it is the city of Liverpool.

It's the football club that make a fuss about not playing on that day. If it wasn't, they'd be playing.

Ask Chelsea what difference it makes. And don't forget what a fuss Liverpool made about fixture congestion when they got to the CL final, and how important it was that everyone helped them "flying the flag in Europe."

It's nothing to do with wallowing in self pity, it's something that developed from the beginning and why should the families or the club be told to move on? It's up to anyone to grieve/move on in whichever way they choose, and LFC will always be dictated to by the families on issues such as this.

The memorial service has been held at Anfield every year since the disaster. The club has always taken an active role in it, with officials, players and management being present. Up until the 20th anniversary only families and the above mentioned took part in it, it was closed to fans because the families wanted it kept private, but after seeing the response to the 20th they decided to open it up to anyone who wanted to come.

How other clubs choose to remember their tragedies is a matter for them alone, as its Liverpool Football Clubs right to do it their way.

I'm not sure what would happen if they were told they had to play on that day because both the FA and UEFA have always been accommodating.

The fact that a failed comedian spoke about it in the way he did just shows what an arsehole he is, if he wanted the debate raised he could have done it in a more appropriate manner. Personally I couldn't give a fuck what he or others think, in this case though I find the fact that he went for damage limitation as soon as the flack started shows him up for the lack of balls character he is.

I was just a bairn but I remember watching it at my nana's and when the fire started the Lincoln fans were cheering, that's why I was pleased they went out of the football league a few years later. The Bradford people are a shining example of dignity, for what was an equally horrifying disaster.

That Bradford fire video shouldn't be on Youtube. I've been to Fire Warden training a few times with the fire Brigade and the agreement is that only they are allowed to show it for educational purposes. The guy who is on fire in the middle of the pitch was not in the fire, he simply ignited from being so close to it due to the heat. Scary stuff.

How other clubs choose to remember their tragedies is a matter for them alone, as its Liverpool Football Clubs right to do it their way.

It is not your right to dictate when you will and won't play though.

I'm not defending the scousers, but I think it's been dragged on because of the (alleged) injustice behind it. I think the only thing that would make it go away would be if prosecutions starting happening, but that's not going to happen is it..

It wasn't just a bus crash, there's nee nice way to die, but that was one of the worst, a lot of them dead people probably knew they were going to die, it's hard even writing it. It wasn't their fault, all this rampaging scousers bollocks, we'd be exactly the same if not worse, in fact I could guarantee you now if we got to the Semi in 1989, we'd have thousands upon thousands of ticketless fans, which evidently Liverpool didn't really have. There's no blame on them for the disaster, I think scousers as people though have a deep rooted victim mentality of injustice, and they have a point in this one case, it's a disgrace a country that prides itself as being the fairest most transparent on earth, has not released these files for 23 years. It's a fucking disgrace. If I was scouse I think I'd probably still feel raw about it.