Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Me neither- the original series was so good, I didn’t want to “spoil” it by watching a lesser sequel. 

I know what you mean. I also thought it would be difficult to top The Thin Red Line on that subject (I realise that’s a film but it could’ve almost been a mini series, it’s that long). 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I know what you mean. I also thought it would be difficult to top The Thin Red Line on that subject (I realise that’s a film but it could’ve almost been a mini series, it’s that long). 

Great film that mind, and I see what you mean. ( did you spot the Band of Brothers actor in it?)

My only criticism of Band of Brothers is that it was extremely Yank centric ( I realise that’s inevitable as it’s about Easy Company), and the other Allies, when depicted, where like pantomime characters. ( E.G- the Paras in the Operation Market Garden episode, absolute Cholmondeley Warner’s to a man, when in reality they’d have been rough as fuck regional lads.)
It’s a small gripe tbf, but given how the lads in Easy company were shown to be so diverse, I thought they dropped the ball a little. 

• Like 2

I can’t think off the top of my head. Mind, everyone is in The Thin Red Line :lol: then there’s sone quite famous people who didn’t even make the final cut (like Micky Rourke) 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

I can’t think off the top of my head. Mind, everyone is in The Thin Red Line :lol: then there’s sone quite famous people who didn’t even make the final cut (like Micky Rourke) 

It’s got an incredible cast tbh, fuck knows what the wage bill must’ve been. 
It’s this lad btw

009fe3502092497560153c778a3e7a2b.jpg?for

He’s only got a minor role in Thin Red Line so you’d be forgiven for not spotting him. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 20:55, Alex said:

I’ve never actually seen its companion piece The Pacific.

Not sure if it was the cast or the less familiar setting but I didn't get into it as much as the first. Couple of stand out episodes, the one retelling the actions that got John Basilone his Medal of Honor, specifically. 

There's a third instalment coming out later this year on Apple tv (I think) called Masters of the Air.

• Like 1

Just finished Poker Face on Now/Sky. 

Very enjoyable. Normally I fucking hate whodunnit stuff but this was different. Was like a cross between Columbo and the Littelest Hobo. You know the murder in advance but the story is about how the protagonist solves it. The protagonist in question being that lass from Russian Doll. I can't make my mind up about her, she's an absolute two face. On the one hand, her head is too big for her body, she has Tina Turner hair, and she has a voice so depp and gravelly she make Mariella Frostrup sound like Michael Jackson. On the other hand she's just fucking lush. Anyway, there is also an over-arching plot which explains her fugitive status, which bookends the series. Get it fucking watched if you have access. 👍

Anybody watching this Full Monty sequel/spin off thing? I've watched the first episode but not sure about continuing. Thing is, I was never a fan of the original "aren't poor Northerners funny" plot, especially as it overshadowed the far superior Brassed Off released around the same time. Secondly it's depressing as fuck seeing what the ravages of two and a half decades of time has inflicted on the acting cast. MIght give episode 2 a go and make my mind up. 

I'm watching That Dirty Black Bag (2022). It's a Spaghetti Western series, filmed in Puglia and I'm a couple of episodes in. It's canny so far if you like that sort of thing.

Looks like a proper old spaghetti western.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm watching That Dirty Black Bag (2022). It's a Spaghetti Western series, filmed in Puglia and I'm a couple of episodes in. It's canny so far if you like that sort of thing.

Looks like a proper old spaghetti western.

Right up my straße this, what’s it on and how do I watch it for nowt? 

25 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Not yet… unbelievable but Mrs.F. is a proper Luddite when it comes to streaming- I’ll get there eventually. 

I don't IPTV for various reasons, most notably because I am an upstanding, inherently morally superior person who actually properly contibutes money to the makers of the content, without which you IPTV scumbags would have none of the said content.

That aside, Mrs Rents is bizarrely backwards to technology, to the extent for some unfathomable reason she prefers "live" TV to streamed content, and rarely looks past BBC, ITV and Channel 4, despite the fact I currently have subscriptions to Disney, Netflix, Now, Amazon and Apple TV. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

So right now I'm watching this Greg Wallace miracle meat programme. This is so weird. It's clearly got to be a spoof but why? It's not April 1st.  Best part was when the "scientist" said they couldn't clone human meat under EU law without Brexit happening. :lol:

• Haha 3

On 10/07/2023 at 09:52, Renton said:

Anybody watching this Full Monty sequel/spin off thing? I've watched the first episode but not sure about continuing. Thing is, I was never a fan of the original "aren't poor Northerners funny" plot, especially as it overshadowed the far superior Brassed Off released around the same time. Secondly it's depressing as fuck seeing what the ravages of two and a half decades of time has inflicted on the acting cast. MIght give episode 2 a go and make my mind up. 

Agree about Brassed Off being much the better film btw 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 21:19, strawb said:

The pacific isn’t in the same league 

Pacific is excellent in it's own right. The memoir it's based on is excellent too (and horrific) - With the Old Breed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

First episode of the new Black Mirror was shite and put me off the rest. Tried the second episode last night and it was much better (although the twist was easy to spot)

The first and third were the only ones which are BM themed, the others are all shit versions of Hammer House of Horror. Still preferred these mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm enjoying The Bear S2 but just thinking it's alright, not sure it deserves the plaudits. Then I get S2E6  (Fishes) and fucking hell, what a brilliant hour of TV. Got Jamie Lee Curtis in it looking so old even MF would droop, and Bob Odenkirk, also looking ancient. Fucking superb black comedy.