Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Is everyone else watching Sherlock? Bit disappointed with the NYD episode but it was still good fun, looking forward to the episode tonight.

I've enjoyed both of the latest ones, although the wedding episode was a bit weird. It was good but seemed lacking in a point for most of it. I still liked it though, partly because in my attempt to make a vaguely witty comment I inadvertently solved it before Sherlock.

Mind, we only watched the previous ones within the last couple of months so I suppose I might feel differently if I'd been waiting ages for the new ones.

Sherlock explained how he did it to the Andersen.

That was the real explanation and the use of Andersen (now an obsessed fanboy of sorts) and his doubtful reaction was the clever way of anticipating the likely reaction of the fans to any genuine explanation if they had given it simply.

The writers gave the genuine explanation but then mocked how the fans would have reacted to it. I think....

If I remember rightly from reading all of the Conan Doyle stories, there was never any real explanation for how Holmes survived his fall from the waterfall. It was originally supposed to be the end of the character until fans kicked up so much of a fuss he was brought back. I think the lack of any explanation in the new series has as much to with there never being an original answer as anything else.